APlace2Rest

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tongue Talkin'

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Tongue Talkin' on Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:27 pm

cross-eyed

Okay peeps . . .here's one for us to take a gander at. Not knowing what background you all have been a part of, this one "can' be a bit controversial just in the traditional sense, let alone the kingdom perspectives. It's a topic that was once near and dear to my heart beings I was brought up in a pentecostal invironment all my life and as I began my own ministry in the early years of teaching, it was a main staple in subject matter and I had some very opinionated ideas of my own on it at the time that have since been laid to rest.

I'll go ahead and throw out my own thoughts on it and let you all take it from there.

In . . .I think the last chapter I just posted on "Ground Zero" I shared some elementary aspects on the subject of dimensions. The crux of that understanding for me is . . .KNOW the NATURAL, APPLY the MORAL, but always and forever PURSUE the SPIRITUAL.

In that light, for me . . .the PHYSICAL phenomon of speaking in tongues isn't nearly as close to the top of priorities as it once was. I beleive when we start conversing in kingdom principles, our language may be english, but our message is as foreign to the natural mind as French is to an African native.

Perhaps there's even levels of the pickling (Baptizzo . ..it means "pickled") of the spirit. But I do beleive there is a prayer language that one can speak that others can't comprehend. But I also believe that's merely a PHYSICAL sign of a SPIRITUAL experience . . .so . . .in the order of dimensional understanding, physical emphasis is beneath spiritual pursuit. It's still there, it still exists, it just isn't the identity of the experience.

Your thoughts?

2 Re: Tongue Talkin' on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:06 pm

A.R.T.I.C

Admin
Well, in all honesty, if you speak in tongues, then your the first person I've ever known who is seeing the deeper things in Him.

I've never experienced the gift of tongues, I was raised in the Pentecostal church and have seen some very strange things, but for the most part, for me personally, those that I have met that do speak in tongues are very surface in their understanding, or their embracing Kingdom Principles. And their usually in a church surrounding, or looking for one. That's just what I have observed.

I have found however, that the language we speak in Truth is very foreign to most they absolutely cannot understand what we say, nor do they want to.

In fact, me and my dear Brother Y'Israel have been in a forum before to be a light in a dark place so to speak, and there was so much unity in what we said together, they accused us of being the same person, and again didn't understand a word we said. Our word was completely unknown to them.

Blessings

http://aplace2rest.forumotion.com

3 Re: Tongue Talkin' on Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:42 pm

cross-eyed

Yup, I totally understand what you're saying. It's pretty special when you come across another person that has EXACTLY the same insights and mindsets as you isn't it? I don't know how long you've been on Tent, but there's a guy there whose actually name was "Graham" but he went by "Taffy" on the forum. He was that to me. But he passed away this past January I think, he was battling cancer for quite some time.

Now, at the same time, I "do" think there was something going on that is a little harder to try to explain away. I'm not one to throw the baby out with the bathwater intentionally. I DO believe the way we talk now is truly from another tongue and those who haven't experienced "this" baptism don't understand a word we're saying. That entire concept fits perfectly in how everything else fits together, but at the same time, I "do" beleive there is still the other phenomon of actually speaking another tongue literally.

I "am" one that has experienced it and for me, it's not much different than accepting the experience of being slain in the spirit to be a God thing as well. There are other references to it in Scripture that give the indication that it was more than a message that was foreign. The one guy saw Peter lay hands on someone that immediately manifested a change that the guy watching it happen wanted Peter to "sell" him the secret.

And Paul also talks about the fact that he spoke in tongues more than anyone but it doesn't do any good to speak another language when you're "worshiping" because those around you who hear, don't understand what you're saying. So, Paul's advice was, do both, worship in their language, and worship in the spirit language. I do believe tongues exist as the church professes . . .even putting it like that makes me wince a bit because just about everything the church has taught has been one dimension short of freedom.

The difference with me now is, I think there's much more to it now than just the tongue part. Now it's speaking in "my" language the mysteries that the spirit reveals through "his" language within me. My head still doesn't always get it even then.

Just trying to follow along with Todd and Hibbs is a good example of that. Their discussion on prophecies . .. that's one where it's best I just read along with what's being said and not speak. Because "what" I'd speak would come off as argumentative and rather than become a stick in the mud because I'm not "seeing" it, it's much more beneficial for all for me to just "be still . . .and KNOW He is God. Hard to do, but it actually works!!

I'm learning that this forum isn't just about me learning more from others . . .it's also learning how to be still and "know". For some, being quiet and staying out of the direct attention of others is an easy thing. For me, not so much. I want to tell everyone everything about everything.

This forum is evidence in and of itself of "that" one. To those to whom it's been given to know . . .those are the ones that are currently members of this place2rest. These pearls aren't meant to be trampled under the feet of the religious. No, these pearls have come through much to become what we are. Many have paid great prices for these experiences. And as such, only those who've experienced the payments in their own lives for their own pearls can relate not only to the price, but to the product, the pearls them selves are cherished by all here who receive as much as they are cherished by those who are willing to give.

So yeah . . . that's what tongues are to me. geek

How'd ya like the way I wrapped "that" one up?!!

4 Re: Tongue Talkin' on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:09 pm

A.R.T.I.C

Admin
cross-eyed wrote:Yup, I totally understand what you're saying. It's pretty special when you come across another person that has EXACTLY the same insights and mindsets as you isn't it? I don't know how long you've been on Tent, but there's a guy there whose actually name was "Graham" but he went by "Taffy" on the forum. He was that to me. But he passed away this past January I think, he was battling cancer for quite some time.

Now, at the same time, I "do" think there was something going on that is a little harder to try to explain away. I'm not one to throw the baby out with the bathwater intentionally. I DO believe the way we talk now is truly from another tongue and those who haven't experienced "this" baptism don't understand a word we're saying. That entire concept fits perfectly in how everything else fits together, but at the same time, I "do" beleive there is still the other phenomon of actually speaking another tongue literally.

I "am" one that has experienced it and for me, it's not much different than accepting the experience of being slain in the spirit to be a God thing as well. There are other references to it in Scripture that give the indication that it was more than a message that was foreign. The one guy saw Peter lay hands on someone that immediately manifested a change that the guy watching it happen wanted Peter to "sell" him the secret.

And Paul also talks about the fact that he spoke in tongues more than anyone but it doesn't do any good to speak another language when you're "worshiping" because those around you who hear, don't understand what you're saying. So, Paul's advice was, do both, worship in their language, and worship in the spirit language. I do believe tongues exist as the church professes . . .even putting it like that makes me wince a bit because just about everything the church has taught has been one dimension short of freedom.

The difference with me now is, I think there's much more to it now than just the tongue part. Now it's speaking in "my" language the mysteries that the spirit reveals through "his" language within me. My head still doesn't always get it even then.

Just trying to follow along with Todd and Hibbs is a good example of that. Their discussion on prophecies . .. that's one where it's best I just read along with what's being said and not speak. Because "what" I'd speak would come off as argumentative and rather than become a stick in the mud because I'm not "seeing" it, it's much more beneficial for all for me to just "be still . . .and KNOW He is God. Hard to do, but it actually works!!

I'm learning that this forum isn't just about me learning more from others . . .it's also learning how to be still and "know". For some, being quiet and staying out of the direct attention of others is an easy thing. For me, not so much. I want to tell everyone everything about everything.

This forum is evidence in and of itself of "that" one. To those to whom it's been given to know . . .those are the ones that are currently members of this place2rest. These pearls aren't meant to be trampled under the feet of the religious. No, these pearls have come through much to become what we are. Many have paid great prices for these experiences. And as such, only those who've experienced the payments in their own lives for their own pearls can relate not only to the price, but to the product, the pearls them selves are cherished by all here who receive as much as they are cherished by those who are willing to give.

So yeah . . . that's what tongues are to me. geek

How'd ya like the way I wrapped "that" one up?!!

Me likes, very much. And boy, I couldn't agree more about being still, are you talking about me in a round about way Nathan? LOL. Just kidding but if you really knew me, you would know, that it is very hard for me too, to be still and not voice my understanding on everything, it is amazing to me, that you said this,....this is exactly what I've been having to do too. But when I come into such wonderful things as is being shared on here, it makes me realize that I don't know what I think I know as of yet, like I ought to know, you know? LOL.

Being still is not one of my strong-suits, silent God knows, and so does everyone who knows me, but I'm learning.

But when you are explaining here your view, ......What came to mind is there is a different language for a different level, or putting it in the pattern of The Tabernacle, maybe the language of Pentecost is not the same as Tabernacles or the holy place not the same as The Most Holy Place, that's what I was seeing when you were talking about this.

Blessings

http://aplace2rest.forumotion.com

5 Re: Tongue Talkin' on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:40 pm

todosan

Nathan Wrote:

This is one of the most grace-full things I have read in a long time and I just wanted to point that out. Thank you Nathan for acknowledging this. It was truly heartfelt.
Notice I too do not respond to every post. I can’t. Not because I am avoiding it, but because I do not have the tongue for it. Serious!
There are many tongues. Tongues of numbers, tongues of fire, tongues of prayer, etc. etc. etc. It may be that there are infinite languages because there are infinite combinations of things that can serve as a means to communicate a thought or an idea.

Long ago, I decided not to argue about the Pentecostal experience. I wanted it. Badly. And God took us through the wringer. It is a really funny story actually, and eventually the Lord led us to a meeting where we were blessed to receive the gift spoken of in the bible. I had waited so long for this, that I have always felt like it was a great treasure to me. It is so precious that I don’t entertain much discussion about it and I certainly could care less if someone thinks it is for the early church only….

Our close friend Cathy came to our meeting one night and God baptized her in the Spirit, against her will. She was a good Baptist girl who was suspicious of such things. She left furious vowing all the way down the steps NEVER to return. The next week she was back and we had the most wonderful times in the Lord. Changed her life forever.

Over the years, I have personally witnessed about every violation of good biblical doctrine that you could imagine. I really have no energy any longer to argue such things. When I read what you all write, it is a trip through the garden for me, and I am not required to agree or disagree. I am totally at peace, so this too was fun to read… I would like to discuss it more.

And Nathan, it is not as prominent as it once was in my life too. However, I had a serious situation come up last week and I went into my bedroom to pray. I spoke in tongues. I prayed in English. I paced back and forth. I got on my knees. I stayed there until God answered. Then I was hit with a powerful heat all over and it was as if something broke and I said, “I forgive you!” to the person in the prayer. Then, it was done. No more praying. God was through. This week I have watched that situation unfold and I think healing is happening. Should you pray in English? Yes. In tongues? Yes. On your knees? Yes. Standing? Yes. ----- YE S YES YES….What made the difference? I don’t know…. Does it matter? That person is getting touched by God. She has been running for 25 years…. And now she is praying every day with her children..... I am so profoundly thankful…. I would pray in tongues for weeks if I thought it would help someone overcome.

6 Re: Tongue Talkin' on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:17 pm

cross-eyed

Oh my! I've never seen this before!! A language for every level of maturity in our relationship with the Father!! How can something that's seems so simple be so profound!!

In my father's house are many rooms . . .there are many levels beneath and above these same rooms. Who wants a God with only one dimension to him? Who wants a God they can figure out? Once we arrive at the boundary, we immediately sense the land we're on getting smaller and we want to break out of it.

But when you become aware of a God who has no boundaries, He's like the wind . . .you don't know where he begins or where he ends. After a while you get accustom to not knowing and finally begin to realize that "knowing" isn't where the freedom lies. In him we live and move and have our knowing?

Nope, that ain't happening!! Let the understanding be birthed when the cycle is complete. In the mean time, I want to embrace the "being" of one who is in line of an inheritance of infinity of Love and Grace.

A language for every level . . .I love it!!!

7 Re: Tongue Talkin' on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:03 pm

Aleema

Todd, it makes my heart glad to know that we are on the same page with the infilling of the Holy Spirit and praying in tongues. For me there is nothing in the world like it. It is so joyful, it really helps you to love your enemy. I cannot live without it.

8 Re: Tongue Talkin' on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:35 am

todosan

I was talking to my friend on the phone and he was complaining to me about something on this subject. I told him to go outside and look at the grass. I told him to wait until God speaks to him about the grass and it would be profound.

A little while later, he called me back. This time, he was crying and carrying on about grass. God had said some personal things to him using the grass as an object lesson. The door has opened and we got to talk about the many tongues of God. Tongues of grass in this case.
What people fail to realize is that God is completely and utterly sovereign. The earth is the Lord’s. One night while we were in bed, the Lord spoke to Stephanie and said, “I am going to show you My sovereignty.” I thought… “How boring!”

But like all things God wants to share, they become the most exciting. They are just hidden in plain wrappers. From that day until now, it has been about 5 years or so. We began to understand that God is completely sovereign. The devil never stole the keys. The devil doesn’t rule the earth. And if you will permit, the devil doesn’t even have a kingdom of darkness (misinterpreted on one single verse). The earth is the Lord’s and the fullness thereof. The righteous shall inherit the earth because it belongs to Him already. Same for the meek.

Ok, so to digress for moment – The world is “cosmos” or cosmetic… It is what we see. The earth is the planet on which we live. There is no place in scripture where God ever gave up or gave away the ownership of the earth. He merely allowed other to change its view for a time.
So God is unconditionally sovereign. Therefore, ALL things in creation testify of the creator in some way. Grass, numbers, plants, rocks, cells, animals, fish, birds, people, songs good and bad, movies, presidents, nations, physics, math, wars, movements, earthquakes, etc. etc. etc. etc. ad. Infinitum, ad. nauseum.

If tongues are simply a matter of etoh etoh shondo shondo, then you are missing more than you are catching. Why cali ondo di si ni, eh taw do can sekh tau don to de on do. There, you can type in tongues just like you can pray in tongues. Ha! I do not know what it means, and therefore, it edifies the spirit man as Paul said. But if I pray in a known language, the understanding results. It edifies the listener. If I begin to tune into other forms of communication, my understanding increases.

Now the caveat is this. The new agers have a corner on communicating with nature. LOL. I am not saying to do that, even though you could build a biblical case that rocks do cry sometimes. I am saying to communicate with the Creator of nature, to understand what He is saying through the natural examples. I speak nature, just as much as I speak English.

Men are like trees planted by the river. If you want to understand men, you must understand first trees. Therefore, go outside and look at all the different kinds of trees. Some give shade, others do not. Some give fruit, others do not. Some can withstand the wind, others fall over and are burned. Get it?

9 Tongue Talkin on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:26 am

Hibbs

God takes the foolish things to confound the wise, the weak things and the things that are nought...What could be more nothing than to give over your tongue to what sounds to your mind like jibberish? Even more, can I enter my prayer closet, shut the door and with the tongue pray mysteries...mysteries not only to myself but to others? If I give over to such foolishness, does it lead to my understanding becoming fruitful and does it permit me to begin to see into things that before I never understood?

Some of the kingdom circle friends that want to discuss detail and opinion ad infinitum are also some of the ones that are most willing to prove that tongues passed away. I have learned that for them, that is their truth, and I need not dissuade or try to persuade them...not all progress the same way at the same time. I also recall that: "A man with an experience is never at a disadvantage to a man with an argument." Unless and until a person has yielded to the Holy Spirit and actually experienced the prayer language that bypasses the natural mind and speaks mysteries within the heart of the speaker (who is hearing in code), they can never understand the phenomenon.

One of the reasons that I began the thread on the Pattern, is because the weak and foolish thing of the pentecostal experience is a step that some have tried to bypass on their way into the understanding of the kingdom. How can you really understand the kingdom if your mind is still enthroned rather than the mind of God?
Jude 20 and 21 are two of the most important verses in the book but they are almost never preached and mostly overlooked. While I have studied for a long time, there are others that have studied much longer and have much greater understanding of Greek and Hebrew and the various texts, etc. What understanding that has been given to me I attribute less to those studies and more to things that have been revealed by the Spirit from within. There have been times of teaching where I would suddenly know things that I never saw before and those aha moments almost always followed a time of praying in the spirit.

"Pray without ceasing." I have been impressed with the discipline of journaling prayer warriors that had these long prayer lists. Like the pharisees with their prayer shawls and tassles, they love to pray long swelling prayers in public. Having been among the intercessors for many seasons, I have had to endure long laundry lists of: "Lord, you know how Aunt Millie has suffered with _______(fill in the blank) for so many years and how much we need a new washing machine, etc. etc." God does know the problem already and He must be awfully tired of all of the woes and laments that pass for prayer. Prevailing prayer is another story. Somewhere along the line of picking up a burden in our spirit, praying in tongues brings an understanding of how to pray...we pray until we pray. I find that I cannot engage my natural mind and either know what the will of God is or the promise that applies to the situation. Is it time to pray for peace and an easy transition for Aunt Millie or should I be praying that she be healed? Is there a root of bitterness or unforgiveness that she needs to see (praying that the eyes of her understanding being enlightened she might come to the knowledge of God's will)? How can I pray after my prayer list has been exhausted...do I simply go back and repeat the list? Is that a form of vain repetition?

What does it mean to use the Lord's name in vane? Is it cursing on the golf course...or rather is it adding: "In Jesus name" to the back of a prayer that He never authorized? Do I have unlimited access to His heavenly account or do I somehow need to determine what His will is before I ask? How do I know His will. What brings peace and delivers me from Babylon's confusion? Is it not prayer...an altar of incense before the veil (and the only thing that the High Priest takes with him behind the veil)? In His glorified state what is Jesus doing now. Does He ever live to make intercession for us? If His yoke is easy and His burden is light...how in the world does He expect me to pray without ceasing when everything in my flesh resists prayer and praying is so hard. I can't even tarry for one hour with Him in the garden without falling asleep.

Being hammered into the candlestick of one piece of gold, with 66 features, and containing the oil of the spirit, lit with the light of God, is a step that many try to skip and leave strongholds in their promised land. It is only through prayer that anything eternal is birthed. Knowledge puffeth up but the Spirit edifies. It is because of the spirit that we know anything aright. Rather than studying to demonstrate that we have graduated (approved) I have come to realize that when we study with the schoolmaster of the Holy Spirit, out studying shows us that we are already accepted in the beloved (approved unto God) rather than finding our approval from man or church circles. We can stay hidden in Christ and be fully accepted. (I also am of the opinion that some of the greatest saints ...based upon the sweetness of their spirit...are the humble praying saints that never seek the limelight and when they see something that needs correction take the matter to the Lord in prayer.)

If I have learned anything along the way, I attribute it to the Lord teaching me to pray. When I left that little pentecostal church in Desoto, Missouri 26 years ago, I didn't stop praying for three days. My life has never been the same. Pray as though your life depends upon it...for it does. Pray as though God will do nothing until deep calls unto deep and we ask...for that is what He said. If He upholds all things through His word, words....weak and foolish words out of the Spirit...are accomplishing such wonderful things that if our minds understood would vainly produce pride within. When we don't even know what we are praying, how can we take any credit?

10 Tongue talkin on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:20 pm

kpaulus

Wow, I love all that has been said about praying in tongues and prayer in general. This has stirred up some past memories/experiences for me and I've come to realize that I have let prayer become not as important to me as it once was:( I must admit that earlier in the newness of my walk when I prayed in tongues, I did receive more understanding/revelation either right away or days later. Not that I don't at all now, but it was more then. So I thank you all for sharing. I do remember too, before I spoke in tongues, how important it was to me and how much in awe I was when I heard others speak in tongues. I felt as if Angels were speaking.
The day that I decided to seek this gift I remember thinking to myself, I really need to go brush and floss my teeth first and make sure my mouth was as "clean" as I could possibly get it because I thought the words that would come forth, would be so Holy.
So, after I had gotten ready, I went to my room and began to pray and ask God for such a gift. I continued on in praise and thanksgiving and I received His gift. It really was quite amazing. During the prayer I saw a person walking on water and I said to myself, I see Peter! and I heard the Lord whisper, that isn't him, that's you. Smile
What a blessing and an experience I will never forget.
Thank you for stirring me up! God's Blessings to you ALL!
Karen

11 Tongue Talkin on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:59 pm

Hibbs

The thread of prayer and the topic of prayer is one of the neglected areas in the church. Conferences, special speakers, even mission conferences are all better attended than the prayer meeting. There is a verse that many have never noticed. Rev 8:5 says: " And the angel took the censer, and filled it with fire of the altar and cast it into the earth; and there were voices, and thunderings and lightnings and an earthquake." The altar of incense is the place of prayer and the prayers of the saints are the incense that collects in heaven. There is a critical mass that is reached when enough prayer ascends as incense in heaven and when it is reached the censers are turned over and flung back into the earth, changing everything. The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. When we pray in the spirit we speak mysteries, mysteries to our natural mind but the will of God by the Spirit. Weak and foolish (and often abused by those that like to look spiritual in the pentecostal assembly) it is still a gift that should not be neglected.

12 Re: Tongue Talkin' on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:53 am

Long2JC

I am loving this thread also. I love to pray but I do not have a written pray list, I just like talking with my Daddy. I haven’t always been this way and I didn’t seek after the gift of tongues. While being fairly new in my walk there were those who said you had to have a prayer language. Even this year I was told that you would not have the Holy Spirit abiding in you if you didn’t have a prayer language (pray in tongues). I have always had a problem when someone gives an ultimatum. I know that my God is bigger than man’s requirements and God can provided any form of communication that He desires.

Even though I was not specifically seeking a prayer language, I did receive one. I have had many opportunities to pray with people who I did not know and through praying in my prayer language I was able to understand how to pray for the person.

What caused my prayer language to become very active was my seeking an understanding how a person could pray unceasingly. Over a period of a couple of months I became aware that I could be praying in tongues in my spirit even while I was doing other things. I found that praying in English my mind would always run out of things to pray for, but it seems that I can always be praying in the spirit.

Then this year I experienced a first for me. I belonged to a group of veterans that have been meeting on a weekly basis for many years and the group was finally coming to an end. Everyone there was well aware of my faith and when I asked them if I could pray over each one of them individually they all said yes. We had a diverse group of beliefs in our group but they all have watch me walk through some serious medical issues and saw how my faith provided strength, peace and healing. As I was praying over each one I came to a gentleman who was a Native American. When I approached him I did not have anything come into my spirit or mind to pray over him. Then I understood that I was supposed to pray over him in tongues. I asked his permission to do so and he said yes. I did not have a clue what I prayed over him but he was dead silent with this look of I don’t believe it. After a period of silence he spoke and said that I had just spoken to him in his native language. He said that he needed to think on what had just happened and the things that he heard spoken and he wanted to get back with me. This was a unique experience for me and I do not totally understand how these things work, but I do believe that the Holy Spirit can speak anyway He wants to. And I do not have to know how it works.

I shared all of this only to say that I believe that our Father will guide us in the way He would like us to communicate with Him. My experiences have led me to believe that praying in a prayer language is a powerful tool. Is it a requirement, I do not believe it to be. Is it a blessing, yes. My foundational belief is that all we need to do is seek after God with all of our heart and He will lead us from there. He will add and He will take away according to His desires. If we are centered on Him all things will come into alignment. Does that mean that we are a finished work, no not even close, but we are in the right place on our path where He wants us to be.

13 Tongue Talkin on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:37 am

Hibbs

In the book of Acts the disciples were being "filled with the Spirit" again and again. The parable of the 10 virgins speaks of having enough oil...they were all virgins. Jesus had the Spirit without measure (or better understood, without limitation). Five of the virgins ran out of oil. It was not that they did not have oil (a type of the Spirit), it was that they ran out in the darkness while waiting for the groom to come. They did not have extra oil in their vessel and the light of their lamp went out. There is a tradition that says that you do not have the Spirit unless you pray in tongues and that has harmed many and is patently false. Hearkening back to the Pattern, however, there is a measure of the Spirit that is not conveyed in Passover. The cares and the deceitfulness of riches of this world choke out the fruit of the Spirit. While we become born again, we do not maintain or increase to the level that we desire...in other words we leak oil. Like a car that has a lot of miles, our motors burn oil. Unless we have learned the secret of having our oil changed and replenished, we become more like the smoking wick than a bright burning flame. I am fairly certain that many of the problems in my life are the direct result of neglect of prayer. So too, I realize that many of the things that I have come to understand in the Spirit have come during times of praying in tongues. It is a wonderful thing to allow the Spirit to control the tongue that James tells us is set on the fire of hell and that no man can tame. As the rudder of the ship, it brings great comfort to know that the Spirit is at the helm...especially since he always leads into peace and all truth.

14 Re: Tongue Talkin' on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:44 am

todosan

While in college, I read a book about speaking in tongues. I was amazed because I had never heard of such a thing. I led a sheltered Baptist lifestyle until such time that I joined the forces of darkness. Then, after much pain and a near death bout with cancer, I was considering getting saved.

So, intrigued by the gifts of the spirit, I made it my mission to find someone who spoke in tongues and then I was going to get it from them, whatever “IT” was. I prayed the prayer to be saved, so that box was checked. I looked in the yellow pages, no kidding, for a Pentecostal church. There were two listed, so I went to church at the times listed on the page. When we got there, there was nobody at the church, so we left. I was scared because I couldn’t sneak in.

Then I asked my atheist friend if he knew anywhere they spoke in tongues. He said they rolled in the aisles up on 12th street, so we decided to go there. Well, little did we know, but these folks were staunch Pentecostals… STAUNCH. Myself, I was a rock and roller. Leather jacket, long hair, wreaked of cigarettes. Myself, my brother, and my future wife all went together. All dressed in leather jackets, all long hair, and tossed my cigarette butt down in the parking lot as I was greeted by the pastor. Most of the time I was hung over, because Sunday morning usually came just hours after Saturday night ended.

I kept going with Travis and Steph because I really really really wanted to see someone speak in tongues. Everything imaginable happened there, EXCEPT someone speaking in tongues. I went week after week. The preacher was on a mission to get us saved up. He kept tossing his sermon over his shoulder and saying that God had changed it. To me, I thought that was really cool. Wow, someone who heard God. He would then begin with worms eating the flesh, and fire burning the body for ever and ever. Honestly, I didn’t realize for almost three months that he was speaking about me. Honestly, I thought he was just preaching good and I enjoyed all the yelling and screaming. Made me feel like I was at home. Sometimes, I thought, “Man these people here must be real bad sinners for this man to keep preaching to them like that.” Serious, I never once thought it was me and the entourage. Maybe it was because we kept our coats on in case we needed to make a quick getaway.

Well, it was the 12th week and there was a packed house. Someone in the back finally spoke in tongues during a lull in the worship song. It was so beautiful!!! I was amazed, and then the pastor interpreted. I was even more amazed. I struggled to see who it was. There were so many people I could not see, and thus I missed the only opportunity I had to get the gift that I had spent maybe five months searching for.

We left Ames several months later. I never got a chance to be ministered to. The people in that church would not even so much as speak to us. I honestly thought they were all shy, but later I remembered that the pastor wouldn’t even shake my hand on the way out. Guess I wasn’t part of the family.

Later we came to Seymour and that is when God sent a wise woman to come pray with us. She was skilled in the ways of the jedi. I received the gift and it became a treasure to me. I would drive around in my car at lunch hour just to pray in the spirit. Since then, we have ministered in this manner to many many people. I have always seen that God is willing, but doubt will cause people to pull away. But what I wanted to tell you was this.

After this finally came into our lives, I had a strange experience that lasted for several years. I felt this fire on me. It would come in waves off and on all day long. I never knew what It meant’ per say, but I do believe that it was a baptism of sorts. I always felt the Lord showed me that the baptism and the gifts were two different things. That we could walk in the baptismal fire of Pentecost and never speak in a tongue. Maybe it was to make that point very clear.

15 Re: Tongue Talkin' on Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:00 am

cross-eyed

I too had an awakening experience pertaining to talking in tongues being linked with holy spirit baptism. But my break is over right now . . .maybe later.

16 Re: Tongue Talkin' on Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:55 am

LindaY

This forum has been such an enlightening experience for me. All of you in here have been so open to hearing what God is speaking to you in different areas and yet they are all necessary and linked together in a way I've not seen before. It's also been different in many ways from so many places that I've traveled along the way in that, there is harmony. One thing I've noticed here is that there are issues that have only been brought up between me and the Lord that have been answered in here in one way or another. I just wanted to let you all know that this feels like home to me. I have been instructed to remain silent lately because I had found that there are some things that God is speaking to me about things that pertain to my growth rather than sharing it. One day, perhaps, He will allow me to do this but for now, since I'm usually a talker and want to share everything that He's allowing me to see but, in all His wisdom, He has put me in a place where for now I'm just to listen, not just to Him but what each of you are communicating. Bless you and this goes for all of you and each separate thread that is here. They are all formed into one in so many ways and I wish I had the words to express how thankful I am to be here.
Very Happy cheers

17 Re: Tongue Talkin' on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:43 pm

todosan

LindaY wrote:This forum has been such an enlightening experience for me. All of you in here have been so open to hearing what God is speaking to you in different areas and yet they are all necessary and linked together in a way I've not seen before. It's also been different in many ways from so many places that I've traveled along the way in that, there is harmony. One thing I've noticed here is that there are issues that have only been brought up between me and the Lord that have been answered in here in one way or another. I just wanted to let you all know that this feels like home to me. I have been instructed to remain silent lately because I had found that there are some things that God is speaking to me about things that pertain to my growth rather than sharing it. One day, perhaps, He will allow me to do this but for now, since I'm usually a talker and want to share everything that He's allowing me to see but, in all His wisdom, He has put me in a place where for now I'm just to listen, not just to Him but what each of you are communicating. Bless you and this goes for all of you and each separate thread that is here. They are all formed into one in so many ways and I wish I had the words to express how thankful I am to be here.
Very Happy cheers

One time the Lord told us in intercession, "You wouldn't go out and tell people on the street what you do in your bedroom. Likewise, don't go telling people what happens in the intimate place with God."

Ok, so that is extrabiblical, so you have to take it or leave it... but I have found it important to be transparent and engaging, while keeping certain things confidential. I have never heard God tell me to just listen, but I do get a "wait a minute" quite often.. Smile

18 Re: Tongue Talkin' on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:00 pm

cross-eyed

Todd that is EXACTLY what birthed this forum. That's also exactly why I stopped pouring my heart out on other forums. So many cry out for knowledge of God but don't have any interest in the intamacy in God. But it's through intimacy that revelation manifests. It's not about being super well-disciplined in bible reading or prayer marathons . . . it's really about hunger. You get to the point to where you just don't care what other people think, say or do. There's an unidentifying drive deep inside that just makes you so hungry for more that you're actually willing to let go of what you think you see so that you can fully embrace what you can't see, or understand. I think it may be connected to the gift of faith in a sense. Not everyone can keep their spiritual attention long enough to receive the mysteries of God. And that's what I've shared with people about who gets in this forum . . . the sound I'm listening for is the sound of one's spiritual stomach . . .the growling of hunger for things unseen yet God is trumpeting loud and clear. May we all have ears that hear and eyes that see.

19 Re: Tongue Talkin' on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:25 pm

LindaY

Many times I'm quiet because I don't always understand what's being written here but, if I just put it aside for a bit and then come back to it, it's as plain as day for me. I'm more concerned of not speaking truth and having someone read something I might say that's not truth and then walking away believing it to be true. An entire world of people are coming through this worldwide web. Maybe I am too cautious but, for me, it's a serious thing.

20 Re: Tongue Talkin' on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:31 am

todosan

The same happens for me.. I have had that experience of saturation now several times after reading stuff here.

21 Re: Tongue Talkin' on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:32 pm

klm4jc

The agreement in this forum is astonishing to me.

Nathan, regarding " that you're actually willing to let go of what you think you see so that you can fully embrace what you can't see, or understand. ". I was listening to a song by Rich Mullins yesterday and one of the lyrics that I love was "what I'd of settled for you've thrown so far away, what you've brought me to I thought I could not reach". If that doesn't sum it up I don't know what does.

Linda, regarding what to say when. I remember once having a dream that showed me stepping out and saying something. I forget all the details of the dream but what I do remember was waking to the words echoing in my head 'you need to wait for the God Nod'. I woke up laughing my butt off thinking what the #@$#? God Nod, what does that mean? I believe the Lord was just reminding me that there is a season for everything. A time to share and a time to be quite. It's important to wait and be quite, and it is important to move and speak forth, once He gives you the nod.

I think God has quite the sense of humor.

Todd, I hear ya on the saturation. I could spend days just going through all the threads and re-reading them. I am so hungry for the fellowship in the spirit that I read through everything and gobble it up right away. Just like with natural food, sometimes we are so hungry we eat everything quickly to fill the hunger instead of eating slowly and enjoying the taste. This forum is excellent because instead of trying to follow a chain of emails, I can simply look back on the topics and do a deeper dive.

Love you guys!!

22 Re: Tongue Talkin' on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:40 pm

LindaY

Linda, regarding what to say when. I remember once having a dream that showed me stepping out and saying something. I forget all the details of the dream but what I do remember was waking to the words echoing in my head 'you need to wait for the God Nod'. I woke up laughing my butt off thinking what the #@$#? God Nod, what does that mean? I believe the Lord was just reminding me that there is a season for everything. A time to share and a time to be quite. It's important to wait and be quite, and it is important to move and speak forth, once He gives you the nod.

I don't always know when that Nod is. Therefore, it has allowed labels to be placed on me at times that were nothing close to what I was trying to say. Most of the time it's a question that I have and what I understand now is, maybe just remain silent until a full understanding comes rather than ask questions that bring confusion in the same way that I'm confused. ?What is it? silent

23 Re: Tongue Talkin' on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:03 pm

klm4jc

Hmmm. You caught me. That is an excellent question. I suspect the Lord is reminding me that I haven't thought about that for a while. For me it was really learning to let peace be my guide. That kind of peace you have that is recognized from a previous time when you knew that you were walking in the spirit and following the Lord's lead. I don't recognizing it as being a place void of any concern or worry, it is just a place where the peace over shadows the worry and concern. Where faith propels you forward. I've never heard an audible voice say 'Now Kevin', but I've come to places where in my consideration of whether I should say this or that, or ask this or that, or do this or that; that the spirit seems to take over and I yield to that taking over. At times I feel like I am almost under water or standing beside myself. Sometimes this happens in group prayer, speaking before the body or even in writing emails. It's in those places where I sense a need to deny myself and not deny Him and his out-flowing through me, in whatever medium.

I realize I am using a lot of I's to describe this but as was stated in other threads, it is my experience that I am explaining. I think we are all grown up enough to recognize that we attribute all we are as a result of Christ in us. I know that in me, that is in my flesh, dwells no good thing. We've all concluded that it's about Him and not us, otherwise we wouldn't be in this forum. Not sure why I needed to point that out, I'm sure you feel the same.

I hope that helps, it was a great reminder for me and I appreciate you asking.

24 Re: Tongue Talkin' on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:49 pm

LindaY

klm4jc wrote:Hmmm. You caught me. That is an excellent question. I suspect the Lord is reminding me that I haven't thought about that for a while. For me it was really learning to let peace be my guide. That kind of peace you have that is recognized from a previous time when you knew that you were walking in the spirit and following the Lord's lead. I don't recognizing it as being a place void of any concern or worry, it is just a place where the peace over shadows the worry and concern. Where faith propels you forward. I've never heard an audible voice say 'Now Kevin', but I've come to places where in my consideration of whether I should say this or that, or ask this or that, or do this or that; that the spirit seems to take over and I yield to that taking over. At times I feel like I am almost under water or standing beside myself. Sometimes this happens in group prayer, speaking before the body or even in writing emails. It's in those places where I sense a need to deny myself and not deny Him and his out-flowing through me, in whatever medium.

I realize I am using a lot of I's to describe this but as was stated in other threads, it is my experience that I am explaining. I think we are all grown up enough to recognize that we attribute all we are as a result of Christ in us. I know that in me, that is in my flesh, dwells no good thing. We've all concluded that it's about Him and not us, otherwise we wouldn't be in this forum. Not sure why I needed to point that out, I'm sure you feel the same.

I hope that helps, it was a great reminder for me and I appreciate you asking.

I understand what you're talking about. Thank you. It seems as if I've been going through a sort of "purification process" over the last several months. At least, that is what it seems like. Being here has helped me reach a place of peace where there was once confusion. I don't fear it now the way I used to but, know that the answers will come eventually and rather than worrying about it, it's helped to lay aside some things because they will come into clarity soon. I think what happened was one day I woke up and realized I had been living in darkness and became fearful because of my age but, then the understanding came there is no time limit with God. He can bring about understanding in a moment of many different things at one time. What I sometimes perceive to be separate issues are actually several different things that are all linked together. This has brought peace where there was fear before.

Love you guys! (and girls) Smile

25 Re: Tongue Talkin' on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:56 pm

LindaY wrote:...I think what happened was one day I woke up and realized I had been living in darkness and became fearful because of my age but, then the understanding came there is no time limit with God. He can bring about understanding in a moment of many different things at one time. What I sometimes perceive to be separate issues are actually several different things that are all linked together. This has brought peace where there was fear before.

I heard once from Him many years ago, quite clearly. He told me, "you can't dig yourself into a hole so deep that I can't lift you right up out of it." That gives me much encouragement, even today. Thank you for reminding me!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum