APlace2Rest

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tape 1

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Tape 1 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:01 pm

cross-eyed

Lately I have been pondering on what Jesus had to say in Matthew 24 in regard to the end of the world. So we’re going to go into several different Scriptures here and come back and ponder what the Lord really said and what he originally said for the hearers to understand. I will tell you that when we say the end of the world, many people immediately think of some global event that is in the future. Certainly that was the way that I was taught and tutored for many years. But we may need to reconsider our understanding our “end of the world” when we take time to really see what Jesus said about it.

Matthew 24
1And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple. 2And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down. 3And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

Now, I know that some of you are reading other translations that may translate that last line differently from what I just read in the King James version. Some of your translations may refer to it as the end of the “age”. (NIV actually has that, in fact, almost all other versions have “age” instead of “world”) which is really a more accurate rendering. With that being said, there’s a vast difference between speaking of the end of the world, in terms of a global ending, and the end of an age.

4And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. 5For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

Now as we read on I will try not to stop here and interrupt the reading of the text. But I want you to notice how Jesus speaks to them and tailors his response to them in the context of their personal interpretation of these events. Most of us, when we see these event’s in Matthew 24, we see them as something that is yet to happen in “our” future. Or in some other generations future. But Jesus is very specific here to tailor his remarks to these men in his time 2,000 years ago that are posing these questions.

Matthew 24
6And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. 7For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. 8All these are the beginning of sorrows. 9Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake. 10And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. 11And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. 12And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. 13But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. 14And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. 15When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:) 16Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains: 17Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house: 18Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes. 19And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days! 20But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day: 21For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened. 23Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not. 24For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

25 Behold, I have told you before. 26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not. 27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together. 29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: 30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other 32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh: 33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. 34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

I needed to read the bulk of this so that you could get the tone of what Jesus was saying. I do want to start off by what that last line stated. “This generation” Blended Edit this is such a big hang-up with so many churches because in order for them to take it literally, it doesn’t fit their theory of the rapture, which is what they attribute this whole message to. If I take it literally, then I have to believe that “this generation” that he’s referring to was “that” generation that Jesus was in at the time he said it. But to do that, I have to contradict the most popular theory that it’s about the rapture that is yet to come. So, what they instead teach is, the generation that sees those things happening, will be the generation that sees the rapture. But that just doesn’t fit to what he’s saying. You know in the book of Daniel when Daniel was given this vision, do you know what his instructions were? He was told to “seal up” the book. Why? Because the things that he saw were not for that generation.

Daniel 8
26And the vision of the evening and the morning which was told is true: wherefore shut thou up the vision; for it shall be for many days. 27And I Daniel fainted, and was sick certain days; afterward I rose up, and did the king's business; and I was astonished at the vision, but none understood it.

Here’s my problem (one of them) with Matthew 24 not being for that generation as most will teach you. “If” Daniel was to seal his vision up because it was for later generation, why aren’t we seeing Jesus tell the disciples the same thing? If what he is explaining is to happen in our generation, and not theirs then, why didn’t Jesus tell the disciples “Hey, this is going to happen, but fear not, it’s not for you, but seal up this vision because it’s for a later time.” He told Daniel to seal his up and he told him why. But yet Jesus himself, he even referred to Daniel’s vision that was sealed up, (Matt. 24:15) and he connected it “with” the events he was describing that were to be unfolding and then made it clear “to this generation.” Not us, but to them!

So, “if” Matthew 24 isn’t futuristic, but instead it was to unfold “then.” That means several things. For one, it’s all already happened by now and not yet to happen in the future somewhere. And two, that would have to also include Daniel’s visions depicting the same picture, as well as (gasp) the entire book of Revelation! And if you can really give this some serious thought, you’ll find that all those timelines and maps and perceptions and opinions of the Rapture and all the events that are supposedly to happen with it, are simply not accurate. They are trying to taking something that has already happened, and they’re trying to get it to fit in the future and it simply doesn’t and won’t. But because only time will tell, these guys will just keep on preaching their futuristic theories because they’ll die and be long gone before what they say will prove them wrong. This has been going on for generations!

See, from Daniel to Jesus, it’s only a couple hundred years. And he was told to seal up his vision. So even though it was only a couple hundred years out, from Daniel to Jesus, he was still to seal it up. Yet since Jesus spoke these words in Matthew 24, it’s been 2,000 years, and there is no sign in the context of Jesus implying that it was in the distant future, or that anything was to be sealed up. As we’re pointing out, he did just the opposite, he is explicitly telling you “when” these things were to happen. A generation is accepted to be a 40-year length of time. And it was in that generation when the last disciple saw a vision of a book being opened. We’ve heard a lot about that one, it had seven seals on it, and only one person was found worthy to open it, and that as the Lamb of God. That’s what Jesus is doing here in Matthew 24, he’s reopening the book that Daniel had sealed. The one that was sealed, had been opened, why? Because it was for “that” generation, not this one.
End of Edit

Who is “This Generation”?
Most scholars turn to the chapter of Matthew 24, feverishly seek what we’ve covered so far, and try to apply it to the current day instead of applying to the generation that heard it first. Now I want you to look at it again, I don’t want to be redundant. But I think it’s very important that we see that Jesus said to these hearers “this generation shall not pass until all these things be fulfilled. All the things he just listed there were to be fulfilled before “that” generation was to pass.

I want to say as a means of qualifying some of the things we’re going to be teaching that we are definitely going to be challenging some of the things that we have been traditionally taught concerning again the end of the world and the last days. You do understand that every generation that has preceded us, if you have any understanding or any background in church history, every generation before us has believed that they were the ones living in the end of the world. In fact, most of us realize that there were a lot of comparisons that were made in the general attitude of the people at the turn of this new century, to the attitude of the people coming into the year 1901.

There was a lot of hype and a lot of concern and anxiety that filled people that was very similar in the turning of those two centuries. Now the reason why I believe this is important, it is not by any means subtracting from us, but really, bringing into perspective for us, that the kingdom of God, and that’s what Jesus came to bring, that the kingdom of God is a present reality. And has been ever since he brought it to this earth in his manifestation as a man 2,000 years ago. It really shouldn’t make us feel that there’s anything subtracted or taken away from us, but instead it should give us greater assurance, hope and confidence in the time that “we” live in.

The Three Questions They Were Asking Jesus
Now, let’s take a closer look at all of what we’ve just read and we’ll see a much clearer picture come together as we piece all back together in it’s proper order. The questions in verse 3 were Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world? And Jesus opens up his mouth and the first thing he warns them against is deception. He cautions them against deception that there would be then as there has been since then, a climate of deception that would distract people from the real purposes and the intentions of God.

And when we begin to see not only does he mention the deception of false prophets, and you do realize, I’m not trying to be antagonistic. Maybe you don’t realize this, I assume sometimes to many things. But you do realize don’t you that many of the men today that write the best-sellers that supposedly contain prophetic content that are on the New York Times best-selling list, that many of those men also wrote 25 and 30 years ago books about the proverbial end of the world. And have subsequently revised those books over and over.

Now, there should be something, I’m not trying to be provocative, I can be that way without trying to be that way, but there ought to be, in the thinking Christian community, we ought to begin to think and to question things even if they are sold and bought in mass. Because I believe, and I’m not saying I think there’s an intentional deception. But I believe that this is one of the means with every new generation, the hype and hysteria that begins to stir, I believe is one of the means that’s used to neutralize the thinking of God’s people here on earth.

Let It Say What He Said
So Jesus begins to outline wars. He gives seven different signs and I’m not going to take a great deal of time with. I again want to stop here long enough to say that I’m sure that there are many discussions and maybe even heated discussions that many of you get engaged in with people, whenever they begin to talk to you about their views concerning where we are all headed. And if you’ve been here for any length of time, then those conversations have put you in a difficult situation. And so it’s important for you to be equipped to answer these questions.

And I don’t think it’s a difficult thing to answer these questions, if we just read what Jesus said and let it say what he said. Because these seven different characteristics that he gives, we have always been looking for in the future for their occurrence. But actually, they have already occurred since he said that. On the heals when Jesus made this prophecy, if you read it carefully, everything we read about in the book of Acts, wars and rumors of wars, famines, pestilence, all these things he refers to there, you can find them in the book of Acts. They occurred within just a few years of him making this statement.

End of the World VS End of the Age
So let me come back again to their question. What is the sign of the end of the world. They were not asking Jesus “What is the sign of the end of this planet as we know and experience it. Again, as I’ve noted, some of your translations say the end of the age. So what were they really asking? Because the end of the world and the end of the age are two different things completely and entirely. What Jesus is getting ready to introduce to them when he’s talking about the end of the world has to do with the closing of the Old Covenant and the initiation and the introduction of the New Covenant in his blood.

Now I don’t want that to just slide off like Teflon here, I want you to really hear that. Because that’s really what Jesus is beginning to introduce to them. Whenever the Bible uses the word “world” it is not referring to teraphirma; the earth on which you walk; the country in which we live; the continents on which people populate. When he’s talking about the world, there’s two usages of the word world in the New Testament. One is the word “aeon” and the other is the word “cosmos” which has to do with an arrangement of thinking. And you do understand that your reality is really based on your perception.

God of this World
Your personal perception, in fact we often coin the phrase of someone being “narrow-minded” we refer to them and say about them that they live in their own “world”, don’t we. Now that’s why Paul says in 2 Corinthians 4 that it the god this “world”. Who is the god of this world? In fact it’s the little “g” there not the capital “g”. the god of this world hath blinded the mind.

2 Corinthians 4
4In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Definition of “world”
1) for ever, an unbroken age, perpetuity of time, eternity
2) the worlds, universe
3) period of time, age

Who’s he talking about? He’s talking about Satan there. He’s a master of deception. He’s a master of smoke and mirrors. He is quite gifted in the ability in presenting an illusion to you and convincing you that it is real.. That applies not only in what we’re talking about here, in the terms that Jesus is using, but also applies to your daily life. The god of this “world” or this realm of perception.

Editor’s Note
If it’ll help at all, I know sometimes we get hung up on the verbiage of the wrong area of emphasis. But the world that Satan is god of, is flesh, natural, tangible. Not god of trees and dirt and buildings but god of attitudes, mindsets, emotional atmospheres. Your emotions are not spiritual, but carnal they’re symptoms of the state of your soul, your mind. Your perception that he speaks of is not spirit, but flesh. This is always a bit of a struggle to try to explain. The reason for that is that you’re trying to use natural words to explain a spiritual principle. Natural is limited, spiritual is eternal, it’s endless. Oil and water, one lubricates, the other creates rust. My mind is always trying to emphasize the wrong area of truth. It’s not “wrong” by definition, but it is unproductive in spiritual things.

When the spirit and flesh collide one of two things happen. If all is in proper alignment, the two become one in harmony with each other. But if not all is in proper alignment, then instead of harmony, you get distortion, confusion, chaos, and of course, division. God will separate earthy things from you to solidify you in him. (the affects of oil) Satan will separate you from the spiritual things of God to isolate, weaken, and kill you. (the affects of water)

Satan is the god of this universe, but he’s a dethroned god. His power is only over those that accommodate him and reject the spirit of life. The deception comes when we see something painted with God on it and we assume that because someone claims God told them, sent them or is involved with them, that what they bring is God’s message. It’s really nothing more than ungodly intentions wrapped with religious connotations.

The individuals themselves may not even necessarily be aware they are propagating the package, but it doesn’t take long to assess because the accuracy of the message never fits the patterns established in the Word of God in the first place. The trick is, to be able to see the patterns that are there. How? Easy, just have a Peter experience of understanding who Jesus is by way of God revealing it to your spirit. It’s that avenue of revelational communication that God reveals his truth, pattern and life. That’s the rock that Jesus declared he would build his kingdom on and the gates of hell can’t prevail against God’s illumination to your spirit of who his Son is.

Satan may be god of the natural world, or the world of the natural realm, your soul-realm, your thinking arena, but we’re not earth-dwellers, we’re spirit beings. He wants to convince you that his power is greater than yours at any given moment. But he lost that power at the cross once, and again when you invited Christ in your heart. What good is being a god when you have no throne from which to flex your power? None. And that’s what he is to us, nothing. The more you realize who you are in Christ, the more you get your life back.
End of Note

Adam Didn’t Lose the Earth to Satan
Let me go ahead and dispel a myth to that I believe needs to be dealt with. Because it has been wrongfully taught that when Adam fell in the garden, and you know that when he was created, he was given dominion over the earth. It has been wrongfully taught that when he fell in the garden, that he lost the earth to Satan. And as a result of that, Satan has controlled it for all of these thousand of years. Satan is not the god of the earth, but he is the god of the world. Because the world and the earth are two different things.

If I Were Satan
IF I were Satan, I would so distort your reality until you would believe that I am in control of all things. That’s why he warns them about deceivers. He wants to neutralize God’s people into thinking of themselves less than they really are. You’ve heard it quoted so many times until it’s almost lost it’s meaning. Greater is he that his in me, than he that is in the world . .be not conformed to this “world” but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind When we talk about conformity, we talk about taking something and shaping it into a certain mold. Be ye not conformed to this world “system” this world “perception” but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind. How’s that done? It’s done by the Word of the Lord. It’s done by the Word of God.

Now, I want to make a case here that’s going to take me some time to establish, but when I begin to really see these verses for their face value. It enhanced even more, some of the things that I have believed for many years now concerning the kingdom of God and his purpose through his people. Because I, for all my life, even after I began to come into an understanding that, as far as I’m concerned, and I’m not trying to convince you otherwise. If you have other beliefs, that’s okay.

Breeding Ground of Error
Can I take a commercial break here and say to you that we don’t have to agree on everything. In fact, if you’re looking for a church to attend where you can agree with all of the teaching, good luck! In fact, if you find a church where you agree with all of the teaching, you have found a place where error has become a breeding ground there. It’s a breeding ground for error. There ought to be, when we are examining truth, there ought to be this tension between us.

Editor’s Note
Even as I write this out, I struggle with it because “I” want “everyone” to agree with me. Especially when I’m at the pulpit. I don’t want division and dissention. I don’t want people to get up and leave because they disagree with me. I want my cake and eat it to! I want to be able to say things that people immediately grasp, no questions asked, they just take it and run, and as a result, their daily walk with God takes on a greater significance. I want it all. So when I sit here and try to transcribe another point of view, it’s hard for me to swallow.

But at the same time, I think the emphasis even here shouldn’t be on the fact that you are given a green light to argue against your Pastor. But I think the purpose to share this in this way is because the things I say, or anyone else, should never be taken without some form of confirmation on the listener’s part through their own searching of the Scriptures. My goal is not to make clones of myself. That’s the exact thing I’m trying to get away from. Religion does that already. No, my goal is to “lead” you into a kingdom perspective on the reality of truth. How you relate to that truth is between you and God.

It “should” be different than how I can relate to it because "you" are different from me. Truth merges and is absorbed into the individual. It becomes “a part” of their nature. But they are still the same person as they were before, they still have their personality apart from mine. What changes is their carnality, not their existence as an individual. Is this making any sense?

It would be wonderful for me, if every person I approached on kingdom issues, just threw up their hands and shouted with excitement “I get that! I never saw that before but now I do! I’m going to agree with everything you say from here on out!” But I know that just won’t happen because that’s not the purpose for me being here doing what I’m doing. They’re not to be carrying “my” DNA of life, but they’re to be carriers of the seed of the life of Christ!. Am I right about everything? I’d like to think so, but I’m not that arrogant to proclaim that I’ve become the knower of all things just because I’ve had a revelation or two of my own.

My goal is to birth something in you that is sent by God. To relieve you of your self-created bondages of thinking. To expand your boundaries of your life in Christ. My goal is to get you to a place where your mind stops fighting for control and your spirit begins seeing eternal things rather than immediate issues that cloud up your effectiveness in Christ. My goal is that we can acknowledge our differences without creating distractions between one another, because our worship is not of ourselves, but it’s the uniting, the “assembling together” the different elements of the body of Christ and commit our focus on the worshiping of the corporate bride toward the grandness of the glory of the eternal Groom.
End of Note

Undebatible Truths
There are some things that we can not debate about. There are some things that are not up for my opinion or for your opinion. Such as, it’s not up for debate concerning how we are redeemed. You MUST be born again. It’s not optional, there are no other options available. And I’m sure everyone will agree to that. The book that you hold in your hand does not contain the word of God, it “is” the Word of God. Jesus was the only one ever born of a virgin, conceived of the Holy Ghost. That’s not up for debate, is it. We could go on and on with some of these things are what I would call sound Christian doctrine.

We all “must” agree on those, but there are some of these areas of truth where it just might be possible that you may need to be a little more open to reconsidering some of the things that you’ve been taught. I think I did a pretty good job with that just now. That was pretty delicate if you know what I mean.

Back to the End of the “World”
I don’t want to sound like a broken record, but I think we’ve said enough here that will help you begin to see that when Jesus said regarding the end of the world he was not talking about some global event that would happen when this planet would vaporize. But there was a time that, that’s what I had set in my mind. That there’s an event set somewhere out there in the future. And some of you right now are already thinking of Scriptures that promise I will go to in just a minute.

The planet would eventually come to some cataclysmic event and it would just vaporize and God would start over. But there’s too much evidence concerning how God created this earth, not to destroy it only to make another one. There’s too much evidence in the Word of God to prove that he has never rescinded his initial mandate that he gave to Adam in the garden of Eden when he said that he gave him dominion of the earth, over the fish of the sea and the foul of the air and every creeping thing. And he told him to be fruitful and multiply.

Never a Plan “B”
Do you understand that even though Adam stepped out of that track that God had put him on, that it does not mean that God’s purpose was thwarted to the point where it was never ever going to be accomplished? He will have people in the earth, maybe in this generation or maybe in the next, but he will have a people that will fulfill that original mandate. Because God doesn’t have a plan “b.” He only has a plan “a.” And when God says something’s going to be,it will be. He’s waiting on a generation. You’re waiting on him, he’s waiting on you!

70th Week Commercial Break
He’s waiting on a generation that will rise up and believe his Word. Can you hear what I’m saying? How many of you have heard of any teaching about Daniel’s 70th week? This is a major lynch-pin in understanding some of the things about the last days and the end of the world and we will be dealing with specifically that. That’s not meant to be a teaser (but that’s what this comment amounts to!) But we will deal with that because there’s been some major distortion about the 70th week that’s written about in the 9th chapter of Daniel. And there’s where you have the product of these elaborate time lines that you see charted that so many preach to you from.

They have to take that prophecy spoken of in Daniel 9 and manipulate the numbers. Seeking somehow to eventually squeeze in . . .because we’ve already heard the word “tribulation” haven’t we. Seeking somehow to squeeze in a 7 year period of time when the inhabitants of the earth, once the church is evacuated, they come under terrible and horrible plagues. But we’ll deal with that later on. (next tape) We’ll be taking that which has been made very complicated and restore it back to it’s simplicity. I’ll take you through it step by step and show you exactly how it was intended to fit, and it does.

I Am Not of “That” Generation
I’m not here to sell you anything, but I am here to tell you something. There’s a big difference between selling you and telling you something. Now, I want you to remember something before we leave chapter 24 for the time being, we’ll be back to it throughout this series. But I want you to remember this particular verse that I emphasized earlier in verse 34 where it states “THIS GENERATION”. See, we could go back to verse seven there where it talks about nation rising against nation and kingdom against kingdom and as I said, all of those things can be found in the book of Acts, within 30 to 40 years after Jesus because that’s roughly the span of a generation. There’s some debate over whether it’s 30 or 40 but regardless of the argument of that, these things Jesus predicted began to unfold within either of them. (See the Word Study on “this generation”)

Principles of Biblical Interpretation 101
Before we begin with the next text, there’s a very important rule that we need to point out when reading any text of Scripture. For those of you who’ve been with us for a while, you remember the extensive study we did for some 30 weeks we did on the principles of Biblical interpretation. And one of the many principles of interpreting the Bible . .how many of you would like to be equipped yourself, with these principles so that you don’t have to be spoon-fed the Bible. You don’t have to have somebody else interpret to you all the time. You have an unction, Scripture says, that will teach you.

You see that’s part of my passion. That’s something that I’m motivated to do. I’m not motivated to keep people dependant on me. And they always have to feed themselves on predigested food which is milk, that somebody else has to digest it for them. It’s my desire to so equip you, so that when you open the book, because the book was not written for just men in ministry. It was not just written for men who would come under the gifting to teach. God wants “you” to have this.

And one of the basic principles that has to do with any understanding is the context. The context in which any verse in written. In other words. “who” was it written to? Because before I can ever understand what it means to me now . . 2000 years ago Peter wrote this. But before I can ever understand what it means to me now, I must first understand what it meant to them then. Otherwise, if I just begin to read it in the way I think it should be interpreted in my own frame of reference, then I am going to open myself up to error. But if I can understand what it meant to them then, then I can accurately understand what it means now.

You know the author of this book is obviously Peter. (It’s coming up, it’s in 2 Peter 3) And he is one of the men in the audience that was present and heard what Jesus had said in Matthew 24. He heard what Jesus had to say concerning “this generation”. And all of the characteristics concerning the end of the world or as we now know, the end of the “age” which is to say the end of the “Old Covenant”. You do know that what we read in Matthew 24, even though it is arranged in your Bible in the New Testament, it was not unfolding in the New Testament. Because the New Testament had not occurred yet because Jesus had not yet gone to the cross.

Everything that Jesus said and did, he did in the Old Testament. He preached from the Old Testament, his references were from the Old Testament. It wasn’t until he went to the cross and shed his blood that the New Covenant came into being. So, Peter writes these words to believers somewhere in that time frame of that generation that Jesus was speaking about. Somewhere in that 30 to 40 year window of time after Jesus uttered those words Peter is now writing this book to that same generation to encourage them. To encourage them? Encourage them from what? The intense persecution that the first century Christians were undergoing.

Editor’s Note
In fact, in 2 Peter 1:14 Peter is informing the reader that his time has come and he’s been shown that his life is about to be ending. This is at the end of Peter’s ministry and life. How did Peter die? All Scripture says about his death is that he will be led to places he doesn’t want to go by people he doesn’t want to be with. But it’s by other history books we learn that Peter died at the hands of those who were persecuting the Christians. He was crucified upside down. And it happened “shortly” after this book was written. Peter was “in” that generation that Jesus spoke of, and he was sending his last word of encouragement to “that” generation that was just beginning to experience the fulfillment of Jesus prophecy of Matthew 24.
End Note

2 Peter 3
1This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance: 2That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour: 3Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, 4And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

Acknowledging the Misuse of Spiritual Artillery
Now, I think most who’ve heard this passage quoted, that we’ve always had that Scripture referenced in relationship to people that are teaching as I am teaching right now. In fact, it has been somewhat of a privilege to discover that many people try to use this verse of Scripture to try, in some way to invalidate what “we” believe concerning the end of the age in the day that we live in, that we’re the mockers and scoffers. But you must again remember what I just said to you in setting up this passage to you. Where is the promise of his coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

There are many men that load that Scripture up, cock their hammer and take aim at men who do not necessarily accept or embrace the evacuation of the church. They believe, hear me on this, they believe in the coming of the Lord, but not in the going of the church. If you wonder where I am, if you’re trying to locate where I am, and remember, we don’t “have” to agree on this. Isn’t it interesting that even in a marital relationship that, the enemy, the god of this world, can take one thing that you’ve said. One sentence, one remark that you make and with that he can take everything else that is of value and destroy it.

Now I use a marital example just to get a point across, but I personally see it more in the church than anywhere else. Isn’t it interesting that people can become so small minded that, and I hate to keep beating this thing over and over, but I do think you need to open up a little bit. Don’t be afraid of being deceived. I can just feel your flesh arguing with that one, but the truth is, you should have greater faith in your ability to receive revelation, than you have fear of being deceived.

What’s Your Background?
Let me just ask you this question before I move on from that point. How many of you were reared, or raised in and evangelical background, or some other organized religious background, that told you that the environment that you’re in now that practices the things that we practice now, such as the gifts of the spirit or even the form of worship we all take great joy in, you were told by “that” group of people that “this” group of people that they were heretics? “You better not go over there, those people are of the devil” It kept you away from it for a while didn’t it.

5For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: 6Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished

Why is Peter reaching back and talking about the condition of this planet before the flood and then after the flood? I believe you’ll see why in just a minute

7But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. 8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day

His Time Is Not Set By My Time and Visa-Versa
Now, don’t let your mind slip into neutral here because of some of the weight of the things we’re reading here. There’s no reason for you to do that because we’re going to elaborate on this. But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day We certainly can not take everything that God has done or ever will do and put it between two book ends of time because God doesn’t live according to time. Time is only an Island in the ocean of eternity. But he does give us a frame of reference to understand his dealings so as he says here But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day What millennium are we in? We’re in the 7th, but we’re in just the dawn of the 7th.

How Does It All Fit?
How many days are there in God’s week? The same that are in yours, 7. on the 6th day he created man and on the 7th day he “rested” from all of his labor. Now if we take these thousand year increments and in God’s perspective, they are just but a day, then Adam was hear at the beginning of the week. Jesus was here just day before yesterday. I’m not saying that just to be cute, I’m trying to . . .see most of us are really lost in this “ocean called eternity” and we wonder where we fit and we wonder what God is doing and “when” he’s going to do this, or when he’s going to do that.

I think that what we’re talking about here, as we begin to deal with some of these things here that I believe are inaccurate and maybe I should say are “incomplete” ideas concerning the last days, will suddenly enhance our sense of destiny and not cause us to feel like we’re somewhere caught in between the days when he walked on this planet and performed miracles, and the days that may lie ahead when we will eventually see the coming end, what was traditionally described to us as being the kingdom of God.

Do I Believe in the Physical Return of the Lord?
Let me go ahead, I feel a question hanging out there. It’s amazing what I feel from you when I’m teaching sometimes. The question that I sense from you is “Do you believe in the physical return of Jesus to the earth?” And the answer is emphatically, yes. Some of you just took a deep breath. To me that’s another Scripture that’s really not up for debate. In Acts 1 when Jesus was ascending back into the heavens on a cloud, the angels who stood by the disciples as they were watching him go, they said “why stand ye here gazing up?” This same Jesus who you see taken away from you shall so in like manner return”

Why Are You Staring At the Clouds?
But the thing I like about it which most people miss, and I even think it really ought the be the message everybody should really be focusing on with the angel of today, because all an angel really is, is a messenger with a message. But the emphasis should really be the question being asked to the church in general, and that is “What are you looking ‘up’ for?” That’s the posture of the majority of the Christian church. They’re just looking up. When it’s clear that there’s more than just milling about waiting for and focusing on his return or my escape. Why are you standing still? Go do what he told you to do.

9The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. 10But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

It’s All “Elementary”
This is where I was wanting to go to. This is where so many people trip themselves up. We’re looking hard at that word “elements”. Now, ‘my’ Bible says the elements, as I think most others do also. When I say “elements” what image comes to your mind first? and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up Some of you are all ready wondering “well that sounds like a bit of a contradiction to what you’ve been talking about this far.” You do realize that I do consider these verses before I read them don’t you?

You go home, I invite you to go home and get your concordance out, if you don’t have one, you can probably go to the Bible book store and buy one for $20 and look up the word “elements.” Because this Scripture, all of “my” life, I’ve heard it read in the context that there’s going to be some type of atomic explosion that is going to melt the planet that’s coming. Well you know, in the book of Revelation, the Bible does not say that he was going to make all new things. It just said he was going to make all things new.

Gal 4:3
Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world:

Gal 4:9
But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?

2Pe 3:10
But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

2Pe 3:12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

Also used for the word “rudiments”
Col 2:8
Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Col 2:20
Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,

The Cross was the End of One Priesthood and the Beginning of Another

When he talks about the fire here and the elements melting with fervent heat, the word “elements” that I was about to tell you to look up, because when you do, you’ll find that it has everything to do with the Old Testament system of sacrifice. Now remember when Jesus made the statement back in Matthew 24 about the end of the world and all of the things that were going to come, was the temple still standing? Yes, even when he goes to the cross and they stretch him out like a canvas and even when he cries out the last of seven statements that he made from the cross . . it is finished . . . and the veil is torn from top to bottom, they still continued to function in that Old Testament temple.

And even those who are of Jewish background and received the baptism of the Holy Ghost and they were converted from Judaism to Christianity, and the gospel begins to spread, they even seek to take Christianity and make it into an old Jewish gospel. In fact there’s all of this discussion going on in the 15th chapter of Acts about the Gentiles, who’ve now received the baptism of the Holy Ghost, about whether or not they ought to be circumcised. Because “they” think that now, Christianity has a Jewish flavor to it and their still holding on to all the Old Testament system and beliefs. I mean when Peter and John got ready to pray, where did they go? In Acts 4 when these two guys were baptized in the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, this sign of the sealing of the covenant, what do they do? They’re still going up to the temple to pray.

The Literal Fulfillment of Jesus’ Prophecy
The Lord let that temple stand for one generation after he spoke those words in Matthew 24. But then history records, Josephus, a Jewish historian alive during the time of Christ, records that Vespasian, who was the Roman emperor in that time, hears of an insurrection. . . pay close attention here because do you remember what Jesus said? You’ll hear of wars and rumors of wars . . . in Matthew 24? Because this is one of the signs of the end of the world.

Vespasian hears of a civil uprising in Jerusalem because Jerusalem was still under the rule of the Roman occupation. They didn’t have their own separate government. They were still under the oppression of the Roman government. He goes down to bring that insurrection under control and in the mean time, he’s called back to Rome. So he sends someone back to Jerusalem in his stead and he’s called Titus. Not the one we know of in the Bible, but another with the same name. And when Titus goes back, they totally destroy the city of Jerusalem. Not only the city of Jerusalem, but they destroy the temple and the fire burns with such intense heat that the joints and the mortar in the temple melt. (Isn’t “that” a spiritual picture there!)

I think he says here, that the elements will melt with fervent heat? Every vestige of the old covenant, just like Jesus prophesied, would be totally dissolved. Big difference in what we’ve been taught. Bodies were stacked as high as the horse’s bridle, sound familiar? (Revelation 14:20) we could go on and on and on. A third of the waters were turned to blood; corpses floated in the sea of Galilee because the Roman soldiers pursued the Jewish rebels and beheaded them in the sea of Galilee, this body of water that is about 5 miles by 7 miles, was littered by dead bodies and a third of the waters of the sea had turned to blood.

Now you’re pulling me into the book of Revelation and I’m not going to let you to that. I was just giving you a historical application that is very important and what Peter is talking about here is a doing away of that old system, just like he’d heard Jesus talk about it. The end of the age.

Gal 4:3
Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world:

Gal 4:9
But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?

2Pe 3:10
But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

2Pe 3:12
Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

Last edited by cross-eyed on Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

2 Re: Tape 1 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:02 pm

cross-eyed

Editor’s Note
I’m doing this mini-word study on the elements and I see in Galatians he uses the term twice in one chapter, so I had to pull it up. Interesting how God leads you to a door of what you think you know is behind it, and when it opens, you see more than what you thought you were looking for. Ever have that happen? Ever lose something in your house and you begin digging around in places where you think it might be and in that process, you find a half dozen other items that you’d lost or never even knew you had? This is kind of like that.

Galatians 4
1Now I say, That the heir, as long as he is a child, differeth nothing from a servant, though he be lord of all; 2 But is under tutors and governors until the time appointed of the father. 3Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world: 4But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, 5To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. 6And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. 7Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ. 8Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods. 9But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? 10Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. 11I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

We’ve touched on a piece of this here and there in the past couple years and it’s really the foundation of why we’re not as supportive of the governmental emphasis of church as we know it, as we used to be. Because life in Christ is not about Sunday School attendance or tithing, it’s about relationship, we’ve said that all along. But the purpose for the emphasis of being relational beings as opposed to program-oriented beings, is because it’s through relationship that we multiply. Not through church council. The passage we brought that out of was 1 Corinthians 4:15 where he says you have 10,000 instructors and not many Fathers .. .

I guess I didn’t realize how much he stressed that point again with the Galatian church. Paul is establishing in this church the order of God and how the church is to fit into that order, not the order of the church and how God should fit in to it. In verse three he uses “elements” the first time and connects it with tutors, governors in verse 2, and then bondage in verse 3 and law in verse 4. Elements are not earth, wind and fire, but they are religious-established systems, mind-sets or laws. Those are the elements Peter is referring to.

The second time he’s using here is another interesting correlation. The reason being is because he’s connecting those that don’t know God with the weak and beggarly elements. See that? “Now that you do know God, why are you returning to the bondage of your old customs? Customs, another good word for element, not just natural or carnal customs, but religious customs. See, you can pay so much attention trying to do or follow the old laws that God gave and not even know God. Your mind will convince you that this is impossible to know God in that way. But if it’s impossible, then why would Peter be saying “Now” that you know God, why do you want to enforce your old attitudes (another good word for elements) all over again?

So now when we look at Peter’s rendition of the use of this word, we can easily see that he’s referring to their religious mindsets and not the literal earth . .and for that matter, it’s not literal fire as we know it either. That’s another verse I want to throw at you from Peter . . . 12Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

How can you burn heaven with a literal fire? Yeah, I know they say it’s talking about stars and planets in the “heavens” but again you’re looking at things from a natural and that’s my point. You can’t take what Peter is saying with natural thinking in mind. He’s not talking about . . .look at what your trying to swallow, all the planets in the heavens will be dissolved from fervent heat. . .what do you think those planets are now?

The stars that the heavens consist of are already literally burning masses and have been for what they call light-years. But now all of the sudden, they’re going to catch fire and be consumed? It just doesn’t make any sense. But if I look at that from a spiritual perspective, then everything fits. The elements that are burning with a fervent heat is the old covenant system being removed from the religions of men. When Jesus came, the Old Covenant was “dissolved” and a New Covenant went into motion. One last thing on this whole passage.

1Now I say, That the heir, as long as he is a child, differeth nothing from a servant, though he be lord of all; 2 But is under tutors and governors until the time appointed of the father. 3Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world: 4But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, 5To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. 6And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. 7Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ

As long as you are a child, you will not experience the inheritance of a spiritual father. Remember what we’ve said in the past about fathering? You may be old enough to produce offspring, but until you mature, the offspring you produce will only be raised up in the same bondages of elements that you’re also in. Tutors and governors are those hired to baby sit the young and teach them about rules. When we walk as children we are still bound by the elements of the world, the religious mindsets of others and of ourselves. But look at that happens in verse four, when the fullness of time comes, when you reach your place of maturity in God, you will become intensely aware of the power of his redemption and you will be able to actually let go of the law that has had you bound.

Now we’re getting into more familiar territory. It’s where I believe we are now, we’ve been able to let go of what got us here. We’re not hanging on so tightly to the doctrinal things we once thought were the foundation of our belief system and we’ve been made free from the law. And now, we’ve become identified as sons of God. And just as importantly, His spirit is in us, calling out, bringing illumination to the fact that you have a Father. You have a personal relationship that makes the promises real and the truth comes alive in you. God is not some deity that is way out of your league. That “deity” is your Dad!!
End Note

1 Peter 3
11Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, 12Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? 13Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness

New Heaven’s and New Earth = New Priesthood
Who does it say there is looking for a new heavens? Not you, Peter and those he is writing to. See, it doesn’t take a scholar with a degree in theology to figure these things out, does it. I mean I put emphasis in “this generation” thing, so much so that I sound like I’m being redundant. And look then at what he says here . . we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness Why would he talk about righteousness? Because what is righteousness? It is right relationship with God. That’s an over-simplified definition of it, but He who knew no sin was made to be sin so that you might be made the righteousness of God in Christ. (2 Corinthians 5:21)

I AM a New Heaven and a New Earth
Peter is announcing something to them that is bringing great encouragement to the 1st century believer. Because he is letting them know that what had overshadowed them for that last generation, which was that temple, that old covenant, that old system is going to be dissolved. See whenever you see Scripture mention a new heaven and a new earth, there is this tendency for us again, to take those Scriptures and apply them, if we don’t see it in it’s full context, to something that’s going to happen in an atmospheric way. Look at me, you are looking at a new heaven and a new earth. If any man be in Christ, he’s a new creation. Old things have passed away and behold all things have become new. Are there any new creations in this room?

I like to put it this way as well. Whenever I was born again, of course my “spirit” because we are spirits that live in bodies and have souls, right? My spirit was recreated. My soul is being renewed, and my body “shall” be renewed. When I was born again, the next step was for me to walk down into the waters of baptism so that I can identify with him in his death, burial and resurrection. That’s why Peter in another place where he talks about the flood of the earth during Noah’s time being likened unto water baptism. Because, why did God send the flood upon the earth?

The End of All Flesh Has Come
Why? To cleanse it? That’s right, but he also made this statement in Genesis when he said “the end of all flesh has come.” I’ll pull that one on Peter up in a minute. But he compares water baptism to the flood of Noah and the reason why he does is because whenever God saw that the end of all flesh had come and he repented that he ever created man, he sent a flood to cover and destroy every vestige of that age where sin had so infected the earth so much so that mans every thought was saturated in evil continually. So when I go down into the waters of baptism, it’s a picture of my identification with his death, burial, and resurrection all right. But it’s also a picture of how he has started a work of cleansing in my own life.

When I get baptized not in water, but when I get baptized in the Holy Ghost . . .if you haven’t been baptized in the Holy Ghost, I highly recommend it. Because John the Baptist said concerning being baptized in the Holy Ghost, that when you’re baptized by Jesus, he will baptize you in spirit and what? Fire! I’m still on this because he’s talking about the earth being cleansed by “fire”. What is the evidence that I have received the baptism of the Holy Ghost? And by the way, for those of you who “have” experienced this phenomena in your life, does not make you a 2nd class citizen in the kingdom of God. For every arrogant Charismatic walking about acting as if they are more spiritual than other people because they have experienced the gift of tongues . .I run into that everywhere.

Introduction to Salvation Initiating the Holy Spirit
You do understand, don’t you, that when you’re born again, you get “all” of the Holy Spirit that there is to receive. He moves “in” and dwells within you. He is a “well” within you. How many of you would like that well to be transformed into a river? Would you rather have a well or a river? I would rather have a river! Out of your belly shall flow rivers of living water, this spake he of the spirit. But the Holy Ghost is what brings the fire. Who was the first man to preach about this experience? Peter. On the day of Pentecost, remember? And he even stands up and connects it to the last days. Because everybody is running around saying these guys are drunk!

Remember? When they received the baptism of the Holy Spirit? And they were speaking with other tongues and Peter stepped up and said they’re not drunk as you suppose for this is only the ninth hour of the day. “But this is that!” Spoken of by the prophet Joel in the “last days” See, there’s another one. In the last days, saith the Lord and I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh and he goes on to quote what Joel had said centuries before. But when did he say it would come? This is that which was spoken of by the prophet Joel that “in the last days. . when were the last days? Then!

Breaking Down the Proverbial Week a Little More
If you just “have” to be in the last days, going back into what we were talking about in verse 8 of 2 Peter 3, if you have to be in the last days dispensationally thinking and you really feel you need to put God on a calendar, then we are in the last days of the last days. Let’s just put it this way, when are the last days in keeping with that week that we just described? The last days in context of the week we described, are the last three days of the week. How do we get that?

It was four days, or 4 thousand years from Adam to Jesus. And now we are on the dawn of the 3rd day removed from Jesus, which makes 7 days total. From Jesus to where we are now, has been 2,000 years or two days, which comes to a total of what? 6 days and we are just now entering into the 7th day which is what in God’s week? It’s the day of rest. So we are in the last of the last days if you just have to confine him like that.

They’re Not Wrong, Just Not Complete
When we get together again, how many of you would like to get into Daniels 70th week? For some of you, your first response is probably going to be something like mine. When I first began to understand these things, my first response was I was angry. Then I had to get over being angry because I felt like I had been deceived. I felt like I’d been led astray. You ever felt that before? When you’ve been told that a spiritual experience you had wasn’t valid? And you hear me say this all the time, but I believe it’s worth repeating to you again. A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument. I got angry because I felt like I’d been deceived. Then I realized that what I’d been taught was not necessarily wrong, it was just incomplete.

2 Peter 3
13Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Peter is talking about something that they were looking forward to which had everything to do with the total destruction of the entire old system. Blended Edit You think you have issues with hearing this word in contrast to what “you’ve” been taught, can you imagine what was going on then? The entire platform that became the identity of an entire nation was being ripped up, by the roots. No wonder there was such a devastating physical manifestation that happened in A.D. 70. The spiritual incision was unimaginable. Everything those guys knew as their comfort zone, not just a principle here and there, but the entire system was completely torn out. Can you imagine what a priest must have felt like after it happened? Actually from the records of history, the priests were slaughtered.

But priests set aside, just imagine if you can for just a moment before we go on, just how traumatic such an occasion this truly was. On the surface, it looked like Rome got carried away in their attempt to route out a civil war that had broken out. But underneath, the civil war took place in the natural because the spiritual foundation became a hollow tomb.

That’s what Jesus was referring to when he was weeping over her and declared that if only she, Israel, would have let him, he would have taken her under his covering as a hen with her chicks. But they would not have it. And as a result, they have left themselves “desolate”. They were given the law as a shadow of life, but when life came, they embraced the shadow and as a result, completely lost their identity in the shadows of their religious prisons.

All we’re saying to you is, what you’ve been given is incomplete, there’s so much more to Christ than rules and regulations through religion. Just as the law was with Israel, it was incomplete. It wasn’t filled completely. But when Jesus came, he took that which wasn’t completely filled, and he fulfilled it completely.

Where in that 13th verse, where does righteousness dwell? What? Know ye not that “you” are a temple of the Holy Ghost? Are you not where his righteousness dwells? Are you not a new heaven and a new earth? Can you now see that your old heaven and earth have passed away and behold, he has made all things in you new? What does that mean? That means everything I now see spiritually is new. I can see things in a way I never used to see them before, they are new. I can’t imagine going back to who I was, why? Because that part of me has passed away from my “imagination” It’s dead and buried and not to be resurrected. Yet you will always attempt to resurrect the natural until you have an intimate relationship in the spiritual.

Am I perfect now? Not in the natural, that’s still being perfected. Do I do everything right all the time? Not in the natural, that’s still being perfected. Is life going to be a cake walk for me now? Not in the natural . . .are you seeing the pattern yet? As long as you remain with the natural understanding of things, imperfection abounds. But when you enter into the realm of the spirit, you take on a new nature, a new identity in Christ.

Editor's Note
This is important especially when you come to your friends and neighbors and they are adamantly against your view on things now. In the natural, you’ll feel the urge to try to defend and explain your position, but don’t give in to that. Spiritual things can not be acquired through natural defenses. You won’t persuade anyone’s argument by defending who you are. It’s not a natural acquisition, but it’s a spiritual transformation through faith, believing in what you can’t see, accepting what your mind doesn’t fully understand. You are who you are because you’ve been set free from who you were. Don’t let them coral you back into the corpse, of who you used to be. That person died and needs to remain dead. Oh, you “can” resurrect him, any time you want, but all you’d be doing is resurrecting something that was never intended to have life in the first place.
End of Edit

Heading Back to Noah Again
Peter is talking about something that they were looking forward to which had everything to do with the total destruction of the entire old system and that puzzles me as to why, if we really believe that Jesus is the ultimate sacrifice, why on earth are men still looking forward to the rebuilding of the temple in Jerusalem? And the reinstitution of the sacrifice? Oh, I promised to pull up that passage out of Peter I mentioned earlier.

1 Peter 3
20Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
21The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

So he takes this experience because whenever Noah steps off the ark, those 8 souls step off the ark, after the floodwaters recede and they step off the ark, what is it that their feet touch down on? A new earth. Was the old one vaporized? No, to a new earth.

Hebrews 9
24For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us: 25Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others

Putting Hebrews Into Context
Now, what is most of the book of Hebrews about, especially these passages we’ve been going through lately? Who’s it written to? The Hebrews, which means crossers over, those who cross over. Were these people already believers? Yes. What were they trying to still continue to hold on to? The old covenant system. That’s why he goes into this elaborate explanation about the high priest and these sacrifices that they would go in and offer on the day of atonement once a year. That wasn’t just a remembrance of Old Testament days, they were still doing this when he wrote this book . .after the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus. Are you now getting a feeling of where this is now coming from?

We think it’s ridiculous for them to rebuild the temple and reestablish animal sacrifices. Well, in Paul’s day, it was still going on as if Jesus never came, died, resurrected and now rests. They still weren’t recognizing that Jesus came and fulfilled it. He didn’t come to destroy the law, right? But he came to fulfill it, to fill it full. He was the antitype of the type. Everything they did in the in the Old testament was nothing but a type. But he was the fulfillment wasn’t he.

“What’s that got to do with the end of the world?” It has to do with the ending of that entire old system. If you really realize that, then for you to entertain the idea that they might possibly build a temple in Jerusalem, and some of you have probably heard this, if you haven’t don’t feel like you’ve been left out on anything. But I heard the other day that they’ve finally produced a red heifer. A red heifer? Yeah, in the Old Testament, you had to have a the ashes of a red heifer to consecrate the priesthood.

So they have managed, I don’t know if it was genetically some way or somehow, but they’ve managed to raise a red heifer and they’re waiting for it to get a certain age where they will sacrifice it and take the ashes as the Bible says in the book of Leviticus, to consecrate a priesthood, as they then will be able to rebuild the temple and this priest can go in there and begin his sacrifices again which then sets everything up for the fulfillment of prophecy when the antichrist comes in and does what we’ve been taught to be the abomination of desolation when he goes in and sets up and idol of himself in the temple and forces everyone to sacrifice to it instead. Isn’t that what you’ve been taught all these years?

Hebrews 9
25Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others;

He’s saying here Jesus doesn’t have to do that because he “was” the sacrifice. He was the ultimate sacrifice. He was the sacrifice that ended all sacrifices. “That’s really good for people that you need to convince otherwise of the Jewish persuasion . .” I don’t think even our modern-day Christians have understood or embraced this. Because they are still in many respects like we’ve talked about in our series on the Mystery of Christ in You . . they are still, every day of their life through some form of self-righteousness; some form of self-imposed guilt, trying to die for their own sins.

You know that he died “for you and he forgives you, but you haven’t forgiven yourself yet. You don’t understand just how complete the death of Jesus was. Sure he cast your sins as far as the east is from the west, but you’ve still managed to drag them up enough times to keep you from having a positive view of yourself. It’s something that you need to “let” him remove from you as well. Not only the sin, but the stain of guilt it left in the corridors of your mind.

26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

News flash . .when was the end of the world? When he offered himself as the sacrifice on the cross. That was the end of the world. Thank you Jesus!! Isn’t that what it says? Read it again. For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself

I hope I haven’t made your water to muddy, I hope this really opens things up in you

Hebrews 1
1God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 2Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

More Questions Raised Than Answers
“Well, you’ve seemed to have created more questions here than answers” Well good. That’s what I’m supposed to do. Far to long the church has had their mind massaged just a little bit and they have had continually, reiterated to them everything that we’re taught was truth when actually it was no more than tradition. We are living in glorious times. We’re living in a time when men now are beginning to realize many of the things that we were taught as truth but as it turns out, is leaning more toward traditions of men, those things that were taught to us just aren’t working anymore.

In Psalms it says they will come to a time when they are at their wits end. Did you know that was in the Bible? Maybe it’s already happened to you. “I am at my wit’s end.” That’s a good thing. Because that’s another thing you have to come to the end of. I believe there are a lot of men today that have sought to interpret the times and at best they have come across as mere astrologers. Because they’ve tried to interpret what is going on in the earth from a perspective that is from the earth, rather than interpret what is going on in the earth from a perspective that is heavenly.

Psalms 107
21Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men! 22And let them sacrifice the sacrifices of thanksgiving, and declare his works with rejoicing. 23They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; 24These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep. 25For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof. 26They mount up to the heaven, they go down again to the depths: their soul is melted because of trouble. 27They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wit's end. 28Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble, and he bringeth them out of their distresses. 29He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still. 30Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven. 31Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!

(I also like this following text in that same chapter)
32Let them exalt him also in the congregation of the people, and praise him in the assembly of the elders. 33He turneth rivers into a wilderness, and the watersprings into dry ground; 34A fruitful land into barrenness, for the wickedness of them that dwell therein. 35He turneth the wilderness into a standing water, and dry ground into watersprings. 36And there he maketh the hungry to dwell, that they may prepare a city for habitation; 37And sow the fields, and plant vineyards, which may yield fruits of increase. 38He blesseth them also, so that they are multiplied greatly; and suffereth not their cattle to decrease.

What He Did is All He’s Going To Do
One of the most exciting things that I’m able to announce to you that God is not going to do any more than what he’s already done. He’s already done everything he’s ever going to do. It’s already done, when he said “it is finished. . .” I mean think about that. How important was this statement for Jesus to literally be taking his last breath after all the torturing and excruciating pain he’d endured up to this point, that he knew he was going to black out one final time, but before he phased out completely, he purposefully cried these words out as his last miracle. “It, is, finished . . .”

Train Your Brain a New Way to Pray
You’re praying about the future? And live with such uncertainty when what we really ought to be praying about is what he’s already accomplished and what he’s already done. We really ought to be praying to God, “Lord help me to just get into position. Help me get into alignment.” Somewhere under that shaft of eternity and sovereignty may I grasp the truth that your word is forever settled in heaven. And I pray thy kingdom come, thy will be done in earth as “it already is” . .Do you think that your prayers are in someway shaping your future? Do you think that your prayer is someway, some kind of information center here on the planet to let God know what’s going on in the heaven’s? No. That’s not what prayer is.

Prayer is about finding out what is already done in the heavens. You don’t tell God anything when you pray. I mean, come on,, do you think you really “tell” God anything when you pray? Is that when he first finds out? Prayer isn’t about you telling God anything. It’s not about telling him what to do, or what you’d like for him to do. Prayer is about finding out what he’s already done. And when you find out what he’s already done in the heavens, what’s already settled in the heavens, “then” you can start praying that into the earth. . your earth, are you hearing what I’m saying?

You heard the word confession? It just means to agree with. So when I’m really praying, I’m hearing the heart of God. And when I’m hearing the heart of God, then what he wants me to do is, he wants me to speak in this earth, what is already done in the heavens. Your heavenly Father knows what you have need of . . .I’m doing this because I’m being led of the Holy Spirit so you can hear his word in you before you go home tonight because some of you need to hear this.

Matthew 6
8Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him

Need’s? Or Wants.
So if he knows what I have need of before I ask? Why should I ask? Listen, you don’t know what you have need of, you may think you do, but that’s not what the Word says, it says that you don’t know what you have need of, I think the key word there is “need” not want. What I think I need may not be what I really need at all, it may be more about what I want and am convinced I need. But you don’t know what you have need of, however, the Father does know and he knows before you ask.

Because most of the stuff that you’re asking about really has nothing to do with need but has everything to do with perceived, or felt need. Because real needs, genuine needs are not always the same thing. You know what it’s like with your children, right? “I really need that!!” No, you don’t really need that. They “think” they need that, they think their life would be so much better if they had that. And most of the time, if you give them that, it won’t last very long.

Our prayers are the same way. Remember what the kingdom of God consists of? Children. We are children. That’s not a cliché, however that is what it’s become. “I am a child of God . . .” Yeah, and you act like a child more than you think. If I am a child, then God is my parent and what I think I know is right, may not be the truth at all. Anymore when I come to God in prayer, I just ask him “Father, what is it that I need?” Have you ever done that? “tell me what I need. Will you tell me what I need to be praying about?”

See, years ago, I got over this thing of praying for hours and hours and hours, wrestling with God and I could never keep him on the subject. ;~) You ever have trouble with that? “Oh God . . oh you know . .oh Jesus . . .” and you talk about all these “things” and when you take a breath, you’re not hearing anything because you’re praying about everything but the right thing. Because most often, you think it’s about “this” and it’s really something over there that’s causing this over here to happen.

Editor’s Note
I think by now you realize that whether it’s on the subject of the last days, the end times, the Revelation of Jesus Christ, the mystery of Christ in you, or just prayer in general, we are so not as equipped as we sometimes think we are when it comes to spiritual things. Prayer is much like the way we used to read the Scripture, we focus on the natural when the real message is in the spiritual. And as a result, our perception becomes clouded with deception.

And instead of walking in truth and life, we have all we can do to walk at all because all we can see is ourselves and either how much of a failure we are in pleasing God, or in how great we are with our progress in obeying God. Whether we like it or not, we’re all extremists by nature, the fallen nature of man. We’re either all puffed up or we’re all withered up, either way, it’s an inaccurate perception at best. I think that’s why this stuff is so liberating to us. Finally, God is showing us “his” perspective and it’s far more fulfilling to see through his eyes than through the eyes of my own understanding. Thy Kingdom Come! Thy will be done here in the natural realm of my life, as it already is done in the spiritual realm of you!

End of Edit

Word Study of
“This Generation”

1. Genesis 7:1
And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.

2. Psalm 12:7
Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

3. Psalm 71:18
Now also when I am old and greyheaded, O God, forsake me not; until I have shewed thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come.

4. Psalm 95:10
Forty years long was I grieved with this generation, and said, It is a people that do err in their heart, and they have not known my ways:

5. Matthew 11:16
But whereunto shall I liken this generation? It is like unto children sitting in the markets, and calling unto their fellows,

6. Matthew 12:41

The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.

7. Matthew 12:42
The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the uttermost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here.

8. Matthew 23:36
Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.

9. Matthew 24:34
Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

10. Mark 8:12
And he sighed deeply in his spirit, and saith, Why doth this generation seek after a sign? verily I say unto you, There shall no sign be given unto this generation.

11. Mark 13:30
Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.

12. Luke 7:31
And the Lord said, Whereunto then shall I liken the men of this generation? and to what are they like?

13. Luke 11:30
For as Jonas was a sign unto the Ninevites, so shall also the Son of man be to this generation.

14. Luke 11:31
The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with the men of this generation, and condemn them: for she came from the utmost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here.

15. Luke 11:32
The men of Nineve shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.

16. Luke 11:50
That the blood of all the prophets, which was shed from the foundation of the world, may be required of this generation;

17. Luke 11:51
From the blood of Abel unto the blood of Zacharias which perished between the altar and the temple: verily I say unto you, It shall be required of this generation.

18. Luke 17:25
But first must he suffer many things, and be rejected of this generation.

19. Luke 21:32
Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum