APlace2Rest

You are not connected. Please login or register

God's magic

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 God's magic on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:58 pm

In the car tonight, my daughter Sophia who's 8 says "you know how God does magic". I asked what she meant. "you know how He made fire over peoples heads", "how come he doesn't do it anymore?" I fumbled a little, then replied something like He does still, but its different. I explained it all was pointing to Jesus, and was all symbolic for Him.

Its really hard to explain abstract thought to an 8 year old. I've been trying to explain symbolism to her for a while now. She gets it somewhat. Obviously she's asking questions so she's thinking about it.

Here's the point of me sharing this. How do you teach a child the things of God? I grew up in Sunday school, Awana, lots of stuff. But I don't want her raised with a religious mindset, and we don't "go to church". And most of the things out there for kids are well part of that religion I don't want her in. On the other hand I think the church does a great job of making it interesting and at their level.

Its hard because everything has changed, for instance salvation. If you ask most including me up until 2 years ago what salvation is, its being saved from hell. Obviously thats not the case, I can't even hardly use the word "saved" anymore because of the baggage it holds. When I read salvation I input the word healed, or made whole. Healed from sickness of sin, from the corruption of the dying flesh.

I don't know if I'm asking a question or just venting Embarassed , or I'm asking for some encouragement and direction here.

2 Re: God's magic on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:50 pm

Holly1

Oh Jer I feel your pain!! Mikaela is just starting to ask tough questions (she'll be 5 in May). Half of them I don't even know how to answer. Usually it starts off with, "Mommy, why can't we see God?" And I'm like ummmmmm.... LOL. I usually say well, because He's Spirit. And then she asks why we can't see Spirit. And I'm like ummmmm..... haha how do I answer these things? I'm honest with her, if I don't know I tell her that I don't know. But how do you describe the veil of flesh to a not quite 5 year old?!?

Of course hubby and his parents bring her to church whenever we go visit (he doesn't go on his own since I've stopped but when we visit his parents he goes with them). So she's learned a few things from sunday school there like that Jesus lives in our hearts. So of course she wants to google pictures of hearts to try and see Him. Laughing (She's like her Mommy lately... wanting to see Him!!) She's also asked me to buy a God DVD because then we would know what He looks like for real. Hahaha!!

One of the sweetest things that happened with Mikaela so far that really touched my heart was one night a few months back when she was calling for me at night because she was scared. She said, "Mommy I'm too scared to sleep in here alone." I said, "You're not alone, your brother is in the bed right over there!" (They share a room.) She said, "No, I need a big person to be with me so I'm not scared." So I said, "God is always with you!" And she started to object until I said, "He's your Father." Her eyes got really wide and she said, "Father?" I said yeah! And she rolled right over and snuggled in and went to sleep! It was so sweet. I still get teary lol.

Basically I have no answer to your question Jer but just empathy lol. Smile

3 Re: God's magic on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:06 pm

Holly that was perfect, thanks.

4 Re: God's magic on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:51 pm

Rosered

Smile

5 Re: God's magic on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:58 am

J.U.G.G.H.E.A.D.

Admin
What I have come to understand about how to show others who and what God is .... when your child asks you things like that ... God can look like anyone ... because His love for us .. and your children work through you ...

to explain who God is ... just explain how much you love them ... because that is how much He loves everyone ... if they want to see God ... show them who He is through you ....

As for explaining symbolism .... sit down and draw pictures with them of what they see ... and then explain the symbolism of what takes place "in" us by Christ being in us .... start connecting words with images in their minds ... the sooner the connections are made in their minds ... the sooner they will come to understand because God will start using those images to teach your child directly....

And if all else fails ... bring it to Christ ... He will show what to do to answer their questions... all we have to do is ask .....

Jugghead

Wisdom is not measured by time, it is measured by understanding

6 Re: God's magic on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:47 pm

Rosered

Smile Having child like faith ,unless you come as a child , Jesus says ,Having that expectation planted firmly in our hearts
we want somthing literal and concrete to show and tell everyone
and remembering my first revelation about the cross Jesus tells us to ''take up'' and follow Him with
If I saw any man dragging a cross on his back , he must be following Jesus right ?
I only saw this in movies and plays , but never in reality
I thought being so young something is wrong here
and it was ! my thinking
It took years to understand what Jesus was really saying , It took the Light /knowledge of the Holy Spirit to teach whats spiritual IS Spirit and truth and its does happen in Gods will and ways , when we are prepared to recive it
All a parent can do is sow the seeds in their little trusting hearts and wait on the Lord to show them the same way we are shown the Spirit and truth , we are to grow in truth and grace
being born of the Spirit , but the mortal is born first and exercises in learning what evil and good is , before the perfect comes and firmly establishes its self in the heart of His children
we are all being prepared for meat , little one are fed on the sincere milk of the WORD first , and out of the mouth of babes praise to God is given , still innocent in Gods eyes

God established this for all times from the begining

Gen 1:11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, [and] the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed [is] in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.
Gen 1:12 And the earth brought forth grass, [and] herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed [was] in itself, after his kind: and God saw that [it was] good.
Gen 1:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which [is] upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which [is] the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. Jesus being the Word made flesh unless we eat of His body and drink His blood we have no life in us , He is our meat in due season
May God bless you all

7 Re: God's magic on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:05 pm

Holly1

Thank you Rosie. I often forget (even as I'm telling Mikaela) that God is their Father and He is taking care of them!! I don't know why it's so easy to forget but He has to remind me often. I'm so thankful for the rest and relief it brings to know that and to be able to trust Him, that no matter what happens in their lives He is taking care if them and will bring them through all things (whether here or after death). I love you

8 Re: God's magic on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:34 pm

Rosered

That is a great comfort to rest in , Holly , It truly is Smile

9 RE: GODS MAJIC on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:37 am

ednamarie

WHEN MY CHILDREN ASKED ME YRS AGO < MOM WHY CANT WE SEE GOD? I EXPLAINED THAT WE SEE HIM EVERYWHERE THRU THE LOVE HE SENDS US .I ALSO CONTINUED BY ASKING ,CAN YOU SEE AIR, OR THE WIND .OF COURSE NOT ITS INVISIBLE .HOWEVER WE SEE THE EFFECTS OF AIR AS IT BLOWS THE LEAVES OF THE TREES OR BLOWS THE BEAUTIFUL WINDCHIMES THAT MAKE SUCH BEAUTIFULL MUSIC FOR US .WE CAN FEEL THE CALMING COOLNESS OF THE WIND ON A WARM SUNNY DAY . WELL ITS THE SAME WITH GOD .WE SEE HIM THROUGH HIS LOVE . WE FEEL HIM THROUGH HIS LOVE . WE HEAR HIS VOICE AT TIMES THROUGH HIS LOVE . HE LIVES IN EACH OF US AND HELPS US WITH HIS LOVE . ALL 4 OF MY CHILDRE AS YOUNG AS THEY WERE ACCEPTED THIS EXPLAINATION AND LEARNED DAILY FROM IT .HOPE THIS HELPS .GOD BLESS WITH MUCH LOVE EDNA

http://daddyswolfangel@yahoo.com

10 Re: God's magic on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:23 am

Rosered

That is so lovely Edna !
Wisdom is justifed of all her children I love you

11 Re: God's magic on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:27 am

Holly1

Thanks for sharing that Edna! My Dad said almost the exact same things to my daughter once when she was asking questions. And he was never a religious man. He surprised me. I love you

12 Re: God's magic on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:08 am

Amen Edna. I had been praying about this Wednesday night, and that is pretty much what God showed me, then I woke up the next morning and there was your post, confirmation. I've been shown this before, but I am so forgetful. Which is why I was praying so much about this. I have had visions and experiences with God in the past 2 years, but it fades so quickly. I've become a junky that needs those spiritual fixes. But what He showed me wednesday hopefully will put that to rest.

God is love. Duh.

Again He showed it through my dog. I'm trying to pray, and asking Him to speak to me. Daisy thinks its time to play. I'm thinking "I'm doing something important here", then it struck me. Is that what God says while I'm trying to get His attention? No He doesn't have more important things to do. And since I am to dog, as God is to me, I decided to play with her. A feeling of warmth and love washed over me a little later as we were cuddling, and she was looking at me with those puppy eyes. She is very needy you see, she was a rescue, and requires a lot of attention. As I type this I can barely use my left hand because she is pushing her back into my left arm.

Anyway she needs love, we need love. And as we get and give it there you find God. I have a tendency to be an internal person. I like to think, and read, and think more. But I have been finding that hollow lately. I have been on such a search for the deep things of God, and oh he has revealed some very deep things to me. But what good is that to others? This past sunday at our ecclesia, we were discussing doing, not talking. Its great to study scripture, and gain deeper understanding of Gods infinite riches. But how is that transforming us? How are we transforming the world? People need us, they are hurting, and broken, they are like Daisy. And we need them. Love between people (and animals) is where Gods magic is.

Much love,

Jeremy

ps thanks to everyones answers, you have helped immensely, and I am thankful for you all

13 Re: God's magic on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:22 am

A.R.T.I.C

Admin
Jeremy,...that was beautiful...brought tears to my eyes.

Yes, they do need us...and yes..there are many hurting...but God must prepare us for them....
You asked how is reading and studying transforming us?....

That's only part of it....but when we experience God's Love within others, and animals...that's what transforms us....

By what you just said....can't you see how it's transforming you? Smile Changing the heart to Love others as He loves us...I don't know of any Greater transformation at this point...

And don't worry,...God knows how to bring those in your path that need Him...God is Love...in You...and through you....to others....

Blessings

The Gates of Hell Shall Not Prevail...Because The Love of God...Will....Never....Fail!
http://aplace2rest.forumotion.com

14 Re: God's magic on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:09 am

yeah Scheryl, I don't mean that we aren't transformed by gaining understanding. But its like faith without works. Its dead. I just tend to want to stay in the internal realm, not even sharing much with my wife. Its personal selfishness. Not saying everyone that seeks deeper understanding is wasting their time, nor is it ever a waste of time.

God will bring the people into our path. A couple weeks ago a patient came in and shared with me that she didn't have a bed to sleep on. Come to find out her husband had pulled a gun on her in an argument, and her and her 13 year old son left and got an apartment, and had been living with almost no furniture for 4 months. She finally had gotten her son a bed. We happened to have a mattress in our basement, that was unused. The next day I had another patient tell me they were moving to Arizona, and I asked if they had anything they wanted to get rid of. So I rented a moving truck went to her house and picked up the stuff, my mom had a few things too, and we gave our mattress. The excitement she had when I opened the back of the truck was amazing. All this old junk made her day.

I hesitate to share this because I want to be commended by God and not men. But that was the best spent time I've had on a sunday in a while. And what you said about being prepared. If God hadn't changed my heart over the past couple years I might have just shrugged it off, or just given her money for a mattress. But instead I got to include other people in the blessing, including myself.

15 Re: God's magic on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:17 am

A.R.T.I.C

Admin
How Awesome Jeremy....Of course He has changed your heart....And I know exactly what you mean when you say you want to stay in the internal not wanting to share much with even your wife.....But Please Jeremy ....share with her....it is a gift from God...for you both...

Blessings

The Gates of Hell Shall Not Prevail...Because The Love of God...Will....Never....Fail!
http://aplace2rest.forumotion.com

16 Re: God's magic on Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:02 pm

Rosered

I love that J !
I know the working was by faith in the Lord ! Heb 11 same things happened than as now and everyone is blessed AMEN!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum