APlace2Rest

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tape 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Tape 4 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:57 pm

cross-eyed

We Are of One Spirit
We’ve been dealing with the subject of the mystery of Christ in you that Paul speaks about in the book of Colossians and we’ve been looking to understand this from several different applications and principles that are found throughout Paul’s letters and even into the Old Testament. I think probably of all the things we’ve said so far regarding our union with him, which I think is so important, our union, our identification with him, the infilling of the Holy Spirit is not another spirit other than the one that raised Jesus from the dead.

The same spirit that raised Jesus from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies. We’ve referenced this passage in Corinthians that says he that is joined to the Lord is made one spirit . . those may seem to be very simple passages, but I think the under girding truth has eluded us. Otherwise we wouldn’t have so much of the struggle we see in believers.

1 Corinthians 6
15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid. 16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh. 17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit. 18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. 19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

It’s “Christ’s” Power In You
I want to point out again, as I have so many times, that the life of Christ that is in you, is lived only by his power. It’s not something that you can produce, but it’s something that you release that is worked in you. I know some people that will say Oh but the Bible says you’re to work out your own salvation with fear and trembling . . . Yes, but then the rest of that verse says that “it is He that worketh in you both to will and to do his good pleasure.

Philippians 2:12-14
12Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
13For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
14Do all things without murmurings and disputings:

Editor’s Note
This is, and has been my favorite passage of Scripture for about 8 or 9 years now. It was here that it first occurred to me that it’s not by my efforts that is his manifests itself through me, but all I need to do is yield to him and he does the rest. He renews my mind, He gives me strength, he gives me power, he gives me courage, he even equips me with his desires so that I will want to do what he wants me to do and he doesn’t need to force me to do it because it’s his will in me that’s coming to life through me. All I have to do is, say yes Lord, yes!

What I didn’t realize was, this great gift he’s grafted into my life, this changing-of-the-will-through-his-resurrection-power, it is directly connected with the decree that we’re to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling. Work out “your own” salvation. Seems to me that is indicating that you need to keep your judgments, assessments, and opinions of your measurements of those around you in your own backyard. I’m not saying to stick your head in the sand when you see others falling short of your standards. I’m saying you are at risk to do more damage by pointing out the failures of others than you would be to deal with them from your prayer closet. What is it that you’re attempting to do? Do you want them to experience deliverance and freedom from their weaknesses and failures? Or do you want them to know that you know.

I looked up the definition for “fear and trembling” and found an interesting conclusion.
1) a trembling or quaking with fear
2) with fear and trembling, used to describe the anxiety of one who distrusts his ability completely to meet all requirements, but religiously does his utmost to fulfill his duty

See, I think we cross an invisible line of spiritual logic when we try to couple God’s will, God’s grace, God’s love, all the above, with fear. By that I mean, my love for God is governed by the fear of what will happen to me if I don’t. His presence never invokes fear. Love casts out all fear. So what’s Paul saying? Be afraid of losing your salvation? Hardly, there are those who would have you believe that because fear is a great and powerful tool to force you to do things against your will, right? But what again does the very next verse say?

That this “will” you have in you isn’t your own. The reason why you are drawn to Christ and his truth more than you are to religion is because that’s his will working in you. He’s renewing your own will. Isn’t that a great revelation in and of itself? My own desire isn’t even mine when I invite him in my heart, in my spirit, to become one with my spirit, that transposes my will also if my alignment is where it should be.

Where does my will originate from? My soul. And what is the proper alignment for my soul? It should be in submission to my spirit. Remember? Spirit, soul, then body. Holy of Holies, Holy place, outer court. When my soul is submissive to my spirit, my will becomes pliable for his will to transform me into the likeness of his true image. It requires no “work” on my part, only submission, which is work enough many times as it is.

But look at the definition for trembling. It’s that feeling you get when you realize one, all the requirements that are expected of you in order to sustain your righteousness. According to law, it’s a never-ending list of what you do and what you don’t do and the expectation is, you make every attempt to abide by every last one of them. The second feeling that creates trembling is the realization of the fact that there’s no way on earth (literally and figuratively) you will ever accomplish that unrealistic goal. “That” is the definition of the word “trembling.”

Work out “your own” salvation, it’s not speaking in literal terms that say you have to sustain your salvation “through” works. It’s saying mentally consider this in your mind. Work it out in your head what this salvation in you actually is. THEN in the next breath he goes on to tell you that the very things you ”will”, is the very same thing that “he” is willing, only he’s willing his desire “through” you. It’s not talking about acting out the work of your salvation, it’s talking about seriously wrapping your mind around the reality of this gift of grace.

Philippians 2
12 Dear friends, you always followed my instructions when I was with you. And now that I am away, it is even more important. Work hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear. 13 For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.
End of Edit
Walking Out What’s Planted “in”
There is a working out of what he has worked in, but it is entirely by the power of the resurrected Christ in us. And we have looked at a number of different passages that look at the truth of him living his life in us and now we’re coming to another passage where the terminology used in these verses can frighten many people because of how heavy it is. But I want you to just relax and we’ll take our time as we go through this.

Romans 6
1What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

Grace Birth’s Freedom, Not Rebellion
Paul is bringing in a balance here to so much of what he said up to this point regarding grace. It was true up to the first century and it’s true now. That there’s a great concern if you teach grace to an excess that what you create is a looseness in people. But I don’t agree with that, I believe that if you teach grace in the way that Paul outlines it in his letters, that it sets people free. Not free to do what you want to do, but free to be who you are, in Christ

Romans 6:1
1What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 2God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Incidental Sin Versus Habitual Sin
Now the question that I know arises quite often, in fact I got a call from a Pastor who was asking a number of things about this message of being in Christ and some of the questions he had was about “if we are the righteousness of God in Christ and it is his life that is lived through us, then what to I do with people who habitually sin? How do I go about ministering to them without appearing to bring them back under condemnation?”

Well, John says in his letter if we say we haven’t committed sin we are liars so you can’t get around the fact that we all commit sin. The difference is, those that choose to practice sin, habitually speaking. That’s really the difference. Obviously there is going to be sin manifesting in us as long as we’re in this earthly body, so I don’t have to live in habitual sin.

Romans 6
3Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? 4Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. 5For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

More Than One Baptism
Now, I want to just take a minute and talk about baptism. Usually when people hear the term baptism, people usually think of one or two things. One is their experience in water baptism, the other would be the baptism of the Holy Spirit. There’s not time for us to get into right now that deals with the overwhelming power of the Holy Spirit and we are given the initial, not the only, but the initial evidence of speaking in other tongues. I’m going to back off that because that’s a very broad subject in and of itself.

I believe that the baptism that Paul is talking about here, in fact there are probably at least seven different baptisms that are spoken of in the Bible. Now, we don’t have the time to go into all seven in this setting. But I believe the baptism Paul is talking about here in Romans 6 has to do with our baptism in Christ. If you have come through any of our membership classes, one of the topics we talk about is the doctrine of baptisMz. (Not a typing error). Not baptisms plural, but baptisMz. (I don’t know what he means by this) They deal with that in that class I believe with all the baptisms that Paul speaks of.

This baptism Paul speaks of here I believe is the baptism into Christ. Not the baptism of water or the Holy Spirit, but the baptism into him. Now what does that mean? I don’t want to confuse you but we will be talking about water baptism as well because in order for us to see the picture in all of it’s dimensions we have to deal that as well.

Defining Baptism
But what does it mean there in verse three where Paul says that we were baptized into Jesus Christ? There are a couple different definitions for baptism. The first one gives us the picture of dying cloth. If I were to take a pale colored shirt and submerge it into dye and let it totally permeates the fabric to where it literally changes it’s color and in some cases it’s character. So that’s one picture which is why when we baptize here, we don’t bring the candidate up and sprinkle water on them, but because that baptism by definition implies to be submerged.

And of course the experience that when Jesus was baptized in the Jordan it’s clearly showing he was fully submerged because it states that he straightway coming up out of the water the Holy Spirit descended on him in the form of a dove. The other picture of baptism has to do with a ship that is in the water, not on the water, but submerged “in” the water, a sunken vessel. Not only does it have water around it, but it has water in it. It is permeated with water.

And the reason why I think it’s significant to point out those two pictures that define the word baptism, is because it causes us to see, if you will, this whole principle of being permeated. We’re talking about being “in Christ”, being totally permeated in him. Not just touched by him, but totally permeated by him. When we understand that, it gives us a fuller grasp of our identification with him. So before we move on, because the next thing we’re going to be dealing with here in Romans 6:6 is dealing with the old man. Remember we talked about putting off the old man and putting on the new man. We illustrated that for you all the way through Scripture.

Taught Or Caught?
Let me say this as well, that that truths that we’ve been talking about for the last several weeks, are not just taught, it’s something that’s caught. If you are thinking that by coming to a series of teachings like this that once you discover where all the references are at and that you read them, that, that in and of itself is going to acquaint you with it. That’s really not what we’re after. I appreciate studious people. It motivates me to see people excited about the Word of God. It provokes the teacher in me to do more, to bring you into a greater understanding.

But information does not necessarily equal transformation does it. Just because you’ve got information, doesn’t mean you’re going to experience any transformation. That’s why we pray so much that we not just receive the truth, but instead we pray for the “Spirit” of truth. The letter of the law killeth, but the Spirit gives life. I’d rather you’d be able to apply this, than you would to be able to articulate it. The man who has an experience, is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

And I have inadvertently in my own passion to teach people, sometimes I have put them in a position where they feel the pressure of “well, I gotta understand that, I need to know that . . “ and you should be in the pursuit of truth. You should be seeking to comprehend the height, the breadth, the width of the love of God. There should be that kind of hunger in you. I’m not just letting you off the hook and saying well, I’m just going come in here and by some spiritual osmosis, I’m going to get all of this. That’s not what I’m suggesting at all.

I do think sometimes there is this very subtle thing that happens that causes people to think that just because they know where the passages are, they know what the principles are that, that in and of itself is going to be transferred into them and lived out through them. No, not necessarily. In fact, Jesus said to the Pharisees who were the scholars of his day, he said you search the Scriptures . . . and when he uses the word “search” there, he didn’t mean they just read devotions everyday, no, they “searched” the Scriptures. It implies diligence when you use the word search. It’s not something you just casually treat.

John 5
37And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape. 38And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not. 39Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life. 41I receive not honour from men.

John 15:26
But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

The goal to searching the Scriptures is not just to grow in understanding, but it’s to discover a more intimate relationship with him. In fact I know me and I also know that are very impressive students of Scripture, out there that have forgotten more Scripture than I’ll ever know. But it really doesn’t translate into their experience. The letter killeth, but it’s the Spirit that gives life.

So lets talk about this thing of baptism, I just gave you a couple definitions of what baptism implies in being baptized into Christ. Even though I don’t believe that Paul was just talking about the baptism that takes place when you walk into a tank and a minister submerges you and brings you back out all though we will talk about that. But I believe here, it’s about what happens to us, when we are permeated in his person. I would guess the majority of people don’t know exactly why they did or, or what happened to them when they did it. They just did it because the church required it.

They did it because Jesus was baptized in water, all the first century believers were also baptized in water. Well, it really doesn’t have much meaning if I really don’t know why I did it and what happened to me when I did it. And that’s what we want to understand. I don’t believe as some teach, that water baptism saves you. Maybe you’ve never heard that, but there are those that teach that. The Bible says to repent and be baptized, everyone of you, in the name of Jesus for the remission of sins.

If you haven’t repented in the first place, then all that’s happening is that you go down a dry sinner and come up a wet sinner. There’s not enough water in the world to change you from death to life. The question is, why do we do it?

1 Peter 3
20Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water. 21The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Resurrection Connected to Baptism
We just read in Romans 6 where we are baptized into his death and because of that we are also raised in the likeness of his resurrection. We just read that in verses 3-5. And Peter is echoing that when he talks here about baptism and how it does save us, not in putting away the sins of the flesh, but in peace of mind toward God by the resurrection of Jesus. He’s comparing resurrection with baptism.

But what we want to take a closer look at here, is where he is regarding baptism to Noah. Why would Peter refer to Noah and compare it to baptism. And why would he say in verse 21 that what happened to Noah and his family in that experience on the ark, is a like figure. It’s a picture of what water baptism is. The conditions during the days of Noah were like this, the Bible says that the wickedness of man, that there was nothing restrained from his imagination. That his evil and wicked condition was only getting worse and worse.

The End of All Flesh
And God says that the end of all flesh had come. Now hear that statement. The end of all flesh had come. You know in the chronology in the sequence of Scripture that Noah is very near to the first man Adam. And God had repented that he even made man. Another very strange statement, that he repented that even made man and he makes the statement that the end of all flesh had come. But Noah, who was a righteous man, remember we talked about righteousness? Noah was a righteous man and he found grace in the eyes of God.

That’s always interested me because Noah found grace in eyes of God and Noah predates even the beginning of the law. So he has a revelation, of something that is far beyond the time frame that he lived in. While the whole earth is continued on in it’s wickedness, he sees something in the eyes of God. Does that mean that one day that he saw the face and eyes of God? No, he began to see things like God sees them. When it says he found grace in the eyes of God, it’s telling you that he began to see things like God sees them.

The Apple of Your Eye
We’ve used this Scripture several times over the years where it talks about the prophets says that Israel was the apple of his eye. What did he mean by that? You hear that phrase being used about your children often times, My Father always says that about my boys, his grandsons; they’re the apple of my eye. That’s a term of endearment to him, but in the Old Testament, when God used it with Israel, the apple refers to the pupil. If you get close enough to a man’s face and began to look into his eye, what would you see? If you were extremely close to that man, you’d see a reflection in his eye of yourself. Because his eyes would be a mirror image of what I am or what he sees of me.

Noah found grace in the eyes of God because he saw what God saw of him. What does that have to do with baptism? What does that have to do with the end of all flesh coming? In Peter it says of what happened with him in the preparing of the ark and the saving of 8 souls is that there is something that Noah pictures in baptism. What does he do? He builds an ark. You can thumb back there and read it later and as you do, realize that up until this time, as Noah begins building this ark, it had never rained before.

So when he builds this vessel in all the dimensions that were given to him, even the dimensions of it has significance. But when he builds this ark, he does something very interesting. The Bible says he pitches it, or seals it within and without. Obviously to keep the water out as well as to seal him in. He gets into the ark along with the animals and his family, and then the judgment of God comes because God is going go judge the earth due to it’s sin. Then the judgment of God comes.

Destruction By Water Isn’t Always a Bad Thing
What does that have to do with baptism. Well, the flood that God sent, he sent to destroy wickedness. Whenever we are baptized into him, he destroys the old world in us. He destroys the old man, the old you. The power of this whole picture is understanding that as Noah . .what have we been talking about in this study? The Mystery of Christ in you. When Noah got inside of the ark as we are in Christ who is our ark, when Noah got into the ark, rather than experiencing the judgment God brought upon the earth, the ark sealed him from the judgment that was coming upon the earth.

Religion and condemnation and every other form of spiritual brow-beating will convince you that if you could just go through some more judgment. In fact there are teachings that are out there now that are trying to challenge you if you could just go through a little more . .and I know Scripture says “God is not mocked whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap . . .” there are a lot of things that go wrong in my life that God didn’t have anything to do with anymore than the devil had anything to do with. I sowed it and I reaped it.

“Someone” Will Always Be Exposed to Judgment
So let’s get off the blame game all right? But it’s a sick thing for us to have the mind set that’s saying “if I can just go through some more, if God will just judge me some more, then maybe one day I’ll be worthy enough. . .” I know that’s a sick way of thinking, but it’s a virus that has been in the church world for a long time. What you need to understand instead of all that is, Jesus became the object of your judgment, just as that ark became the object that had to weather the flood as it wiped out all sin on the earth. It is impossible for something not to be exposed when the storm comes. It’s either you yourself, or what you are in. You could be in a nice cozy home, but that home is being exposed to the brutality of weather. So either way, something will be, no ifs, ands or buts, something will be exposed to the storm.

You can not die for your sins. You can not suffer enough for your sins. When ever someone has been told, when you’re sick, you’re suffering for the glory of God, that is an affront to the atonement of Jesus Christ. You can not suffer anymore than he suffered. Nor are you to suffer in addition to his suffering for your righteousness in him. I’m not saying suffering doesn’t come into play. I’m saying that it’s not to be connected with your righteousness from him and your identity in him.

For you to say that you’re just suffering for the glory of God, that is in error. What that does is, it exalts you and not him. Hebrews says that he “once” suffered . .does that mean we’re not going to suffer? Yeah, you’re going to experience suffering, but again, there are things that you think you’re going to have to suffer through and suffer for, that you’ve been wrongly informed about.

I Don’t Need to Die of Sickness
I had a call today and was informed about someone who had terminal cancer and had suffered for like maybe 2 or 3 years and finally succumbed to it a couple weeks ago. And my friend said “You know, I just don’t believe that people have to die that way.” And I said “yes, I totally agree.” Now, some will argue that everybody has to die of something. When someone is sick and their diagnosis is terminal, often times our response is, “well, you gotta die of something . . “ Well, you don’t have to die “that” way. I don’t believe that. In fact I’ve seen on several occasions, and I know that it’s appointed unto man once to die and God has numbered our days and I understand all of that.

But I have seen on a number of cases, people who’ve had incurable diseases that God has miraculously healed, they’ve come out of comas, there is a total absence of what it was they were diagnosed with. It didn’t just go into remission, the doctors couldn’t find it anymore and after that, “then” they’d pass on. I don’t have to die sick. If you want to take the opposite position, that’s fine, when you get sick, why do you pray to get better? If you think that’s a shorter route to heaven then why should we have to pray for your healing when instead we should be saying “praise God brother, you’re closer to death than I am.”

That’s warped isn’t it. I don’t have to be sick to die. Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead didn’t he. But he did die again. Let’s come back to this thing on baptism. Noah preparing an ark, his family of 8 souls being gathered and put in the ark, sealing the ark, the flood coming and covering the earth and destroying all of the earth and the wickedness that had accumulated since Adam in Genesis 3, all that is a picture of baptism. What we need to understand is what our identification with him really is. And that is the fact that our life is hid in Christ with God.

He Didn’t Just Die For You
That he has taken my judgment. He didn’t just die for me, he died “as” me. I’ve been repeating that statement, but its’ so important that we get a grasp on that. Well I’ve heard all my life that Jesus died “for” me . . . He did! He did die for you, but he didn’t just die for you, he died as you. If Judas would have understood that, then he wouldn’t have let guilt so grip his conscience that he would run out and commit suicide once he realized and it dawned in him the implications of what he committed.

You know why he committed suicide? He was trying to atone for his own sin. He saw what he’d done. The contrast is great there between Judas and Peter, what did Peter do when he denied Christ, he went out, wept bitterly, and then repented. Blended Edit . . . I just had a thought on the magnitude of Peter’s denial. Did it ever occur to you that Peter didn’t just deny Jesus? Think about this. One of the greatest platforms God has given his church is this rock Jesus established with Peter’s personal experience in understanding who Jesus was. You know the one, upon this rock I will build my kingdom and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it . . .

That was a turning point in not only Peter’s life, but Jesus ministry, I’ve talked about this before, but it states that from that point on, not before it or leading up to it, or after some time has passed after it, but from that very point on, from that specific conversation and encounter, Jesus then began to explain to them the order of his death, burial and resurrection. Why did Jesus change direction with his disciples? Because it became apparent to him that they were finally becoming capable of receiving truth from God directly.

As we read about in Ezekiel, the “line upon line, precept upon precept” no longer was necessary with these guys anymore. Jesus didn’t have to spoon feed the simplicity of his kingdom to them anymore because they were finally growing enough to be able to receive things spiritually. Notice I didn’t say they could clearly understand the patterns and revelating truths that Jesus spoke over them. This isn’t about their mind, it’s about the ability for them to receive the spirit of life into their heart.

Matt. 16
15He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 16And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 17And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. 18And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 19And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. 20Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ. 21 From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day. 22Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee. 23But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

Isaiah 28 (New Living Translation)
7 Now, however, Israel is led by drunks who reel with wine and stagger with alcohol.
The priests and prophets stagger with alcohol and lose themselves in wine. They reel when they see visions and stagger as they render decisions. 8 Their tables are covered with vomit; filth is everywhere. 9 “Who does the LORD think we are?” they ask. “Why does he speak to us like this? Are we little children, just recently weaned?
10 He tells us everything over and over— one line at a time, one line at a time, a little here, and a little there!” 11 So now God will have to speak to his people through foreign oppressors who speak a strange language! 12 God has told his people, “Here is a place of rest; let the weary rest here. This is a place of quiet rest.” But they would not listen. 13 So the Lord will spell out his message for them again, one line at a time, one line at a time, a little here, and a little there, so that they will stumble and fall. They will be injured, trapped, and captured.

I said all of that to say this, in all of the experiences Peter went through, the revelational visions, the teachings and leadership of Jesus himself, when his life seemed to be on the line for what he believed, he denied every bit of it. But again, the opening comment I started with is, it wasn’t just Jesus he denied. It didn’t happen just once. It was proof of the pattern.

Three times Peter denied Christ. Why three? How many dimensions do we see in God? Three. God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. Peter wasn’t just saying he didn’t know the man, he was denying the entire reason Jesus was dying in the first place. He was denying the resurrection. That’s the reason it happened three times. Peter was denying the entire package, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, not to mention the ability to receive revelation.

Three is the number for divine, resurrection life. It’s the same thing he did when Jesus rebuked him. He couldn’t get over the death in order to see the resurrection. I can’t get past the power of the law so I can see the value in the spirit of life. I become an offense to Christ, the very one I profess to know. Law is not for God, savoring law is a thing emphasized by men. The kingdom of God is spiritual illumination to my identity with Christ, “in” Christ. His nature in me is his righteousness, his kingdom revealed through me. Law is no longer the governing force at work.

As Isaiah says there in verse 12, let the weary rest here. It’s not just a place of rest, but it’s a place of quiet rest. Peace in Christ is deafening sometimes to those in law. Law creates weariness. Let the rest of Christ soothe the aching soreness that living in your own understanding has created. It’s not a place of detachment from life, it’s just the opposite really. It’s a door that leads into life, but the working mind can’t grasp the logic of that so it builds up walls of hardness against it. So instead of Scripture breathing life through me into others, because of my tainted mind with it’s reinforced walls of contempt toward such foolishness, I become an offense to Christ because the walls of my understanding render me incapable of savoring, or understanding the kingdom of God.

This isn’t left undone, Jesus went back to Peter after his resurrection and reversed the course of action that Peter chose in denying him, he then offered Peter to reopen the doors to his relationship that he’d closed by asking him “Do you love me?” Not once but three times . .why? We preach it’s because Peter denied Jesus three times so Jesus had to ask him if he loved him three times to make up for it. That used to make perfect sense to be because that’s what I was taught and I never questioned it, now it just sounds silly. There’s got to me more to it than just that, and I believe now that there is.

If Jesus died “once” and for all, then why would Peter have to repent three times? I believe it’s because of what Jesus told the disciples earlier “If you have seen me, you have seen the Father.” Jesus offered himself to Peter, God the Father offered himself to Peter, and the Holy Spirit offered himself to Peter. But Peter only saw Jesus in the flesh, but as we all know, The Father was in him as well as the Spirit. Jesus wasn’t deaf and didn’t hear Peter the first two times. Nor was it a formula where Peter “had” to say he loved him three times to make up the denial of Christ three times.

No, instead, I believe that God asked Peter if he loved him, Jesus asked Peter if he loved him, and the Holy Spirit asked Peter if he loved him. Jesus embodied the trinity. He spoke on behalf of, in place of, in the nature of all three. End of Edit

Suicidal Tendancies
We characterize Judas, but we forget about Peter over there but there’s really a great comparison between the two and contrasts as well. One decided that he had to suffer and to die and be judged for what he’d done in order to atone for his sin. The other realized he couldn’t die for his own sin. You argue well I’ve never considered committing suicide . . Well I will tell you this , now you don’t need to respond, I know everyone in here has good mental health and everything . . .

Editor’s Note
I’m really hesitant to dictate what he’s saying here word for word. In fact I was going to, for the first time ever, skip over this because my first knee jerk response to this whole line of thought is, it’s just not accurate to say that “everyone” has had suicidal thoughts. But instead of skipping over it, I’m going to keep it all in it’s original context and say this to it. Suicide is no different than murder or adultery or any of the other abominations one finds listed in Scripture. They are all borne from the same origin. If the enemy can slime his way into your mind with thoughts of lust, he can do the same with thoughts of death, natural and spiritual.

So whether or not you have or haven’t had those thoughts of your own, it doesn’t matter, the fact is, we’re all capable of having those thoughts whether we believe that or not. I personally have never to my knowledge considered this . . . you know, now that I think about it, he’s right, I may be looking at it from a different angle as well. I don’t remember “contemplating” suicidal thoughts, but I do recall times, more than once, where I quickly have the thought of “that’s ridiculous, ending my life isn’t ever the answer” and then I go on. But the key is, what triggered that response if it wasn’t a quick thought of just ending it all on one level or another.
With that, I’ll continue on with his message.
End Note

His Judgment As Me Is Enough
I guarantee you if you are breathing air in this room, that there have been occasions when you were so emotionally low and oppressed and depressed and have had thoughts rumbling in your mind about the idea of ending your life. Now, you’re looking at somebody that is reasonably sane right now, okay? But there have been times in my life where I’ve been so oppressed as I’ve been driving down the interstate, I’ve had strong impulses and thoughts to pull my car in front of another vehicle. I know that’s ridiculous, I know it’s insane. But I have had those thoughts because the oppression becomes so great.

So we commit emotional and mental suicide all the time, don’t we. Thinking that “okay God, you have to judge me because I feel guilty if you don’t, so go ahead and judge me, I deserve it.” As a kid when I would break the rules of house that I grew up in, as I grew older, I knew it was coming, I think the worse thing that my Dad ever did was when I got to a certain age, when my Dad would look at me to correct me and I’d want him to correct me, I wouldn’t come right out and say it, but inside, I’d be willing to plead with him to discipline me for what I’d done because of the guilt I had eating me up inside for doing it.

But he could see the effect of guilt on me and it was beating me to death, and he wouldn’t do it. He was letting the affect that had come as a result of doing wrong, beat me up. He knew that was enough. He didn’t do that a lot by the way. He wanted to make “sure” that I felt remorse. It’s really difficult for people, not just religious people, but even those who know nothing at all about the things of God, accept the fact that he has accepted our judgment for us.

The Principle of the Scapegoat

Going into the old Testament and talking about the scapegoat and how that’s a marvelous truth of how the priest would lay his hand on the head of that scapegoat. And in so doing, under the instruction of the Lord, he was imparting and imputing all of the sins of Israel upon this goat and it would then be driven away in the wilderness. I think many times if we go a couple days after a sin infraction, and we don’t feel guilty, we begin feeling guilty for not feeling guilty. Or if we’re not worrying about anything, souls being saved, testifying to our neighbor, being a witness, if we don’t worry about those things, we worry about not worrying, we worry that there’s something wrong with us because we’re not worrying about what we think is important.

Condemnation Versus Conviction
It’s terrible what we do to ourselves. And that’s why I spent so much time earlier talking about the difference between conviction and condemnation. Condemnation, very simply, doesn’t give me any hope. Condemnation so crushes me and debilitates me until I don’t feel there’s any hope. I don’t sense any self-worth. Conviction points out to me whatever the infraction is, but gives me solutions and gives me hope. It causes me to see that there’s a way out.

Back to this thing about baptism and Noah being a picture of baptism, as the earth was being judged, he is sealed from all of that. The word “pitch” which was the material he uses to mop on the gopher wood to keep the water out, it’s definition means atonement. Which reminds us of what happened on the day of atonement whenever the high priest would go beyond the veil and sprinkle the blood of the lamb upon the mercy seat. It’s the blood of Jesus that has sealed us from those things, from the judgment of God.

I don’t want to wear you out on this, but if you insist in continuing to judging yourself, and I’ve already told you that you don’t have the right or the authority to do that. First of all your judgment isn’t going to be equitable, it’s not going to be fair. Tell me, what kind of judgment could you suffer that would make you worthy? That’s why you need to realize that by being in him, that he has been judged, so what happens? God destroys the old world in you. The end of all flesh has come, he destroys all of that.

The Number 8
And when Noah steps out of the ark, I’m getting ahead of myself a little bit, but when he stepped out of the ark, 8 of them in number which is the number for new beginnings. And that’s not something that I’ve concluded on my own. If you see the use of the number 8 you see it always implies a new beginning, which is a synonym for “new birth.” Being “born again”. So he’s destroyed the old man, the old world, and the vessel, the vehicle that takes us out of the old world and into a new world is getting this revelation of what it means to be in Christ and being sealed from and protected from all of these things that are brought on by sin consciousness and guilt and all these other things that continue to give us a sense of hopelessness and helplessness, getting “in” Christ.

So back to this number eight, all through Scripture it’s used in pattern as a number for new beginnings. We’ve got a nurse setting in here with us and she’ll tell you that whenever a male child is circumcised until after the 8th day. I have three sons and they always required to wait until after 8 days and the reason for that is because the blood doesn’t have the ability to coagulate yet. If you circumcise a baby before he’s 8 days old, he could potentially bleed to death.

When Jesus was 8 days old, they brought him to the temple to be consecrated, to be dedicated unto the Lord. And Simeon takes him into his hands with is a powerful picture there as well. But 8, lets just look at it in the natural. If I just step behind this piano here and I’d start in middle c and work my way up, there is in that scale, there are 8 notes in an octave.

Main Entry: oc•tave
Pronunciation: 'äk-tiv, -t&v, -"tAv
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Medieval Latin octava, from Latin, feminine of octavus eighth, from octo eight -- more at EIGHT
1 : an 8-day period of observances beginning with a festival day
2 a : a stanza of eight lines : OTTAVA RIMA b : the first eight lines of an Italian sonnet
3 a : a musical interval embracing eight diatonic degrees b : a tone or note at this interval c : the harmonic combination of two tones an octave apart d : the whole series of notes, tones, or digitals comprised within this interval and forming the unit of the modern scale e : an organ stop giving tones an octave above those corresponding to the digitals
4 : the interval between two frequencies (as in an electromagnetic spectrum) having a ratio of 2 to 1 5 : a group of eight

2 Tape 4 part 2 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:58 pm

cross-eyed

You remember when you were in elementary school and you were in your music class and they taught you that little song. . .doe, ray, me, fah, so, la, tee, doe. You remember that? You started out on one note, and as you sang through that, when you came to the 8th, you were back on that same key, only an octave higher, a new beginning. Maybe we’ll get into this later on before we conclude the series, in talking about whenever sacrifice was made, the animals of the sacrifice were always laid out in a configuration of the figure-8.

Noah’s Ark and Baptism
What is an 8 by the way? It’s two congruent circles. If I had a board and I drew the number for 8, you wouldn’t be able to tell where one circle ends and the other begins. It’s the symbol for infinity. That’s why a man and a woman both put a ring on, it’s two circles, it’s a new beginning. Now what have we been talking about overall? Being identified with Christ. A life of Christ in you. It strikes me a bit interesting that there’s not nine in this family of Noah, but there’s 8. because God is bringing them into a new world. Into a new beginning, and God is giving the same command to Noah that he gave to Adam.

That’s why Peter refers to water baptism as being a picture of us being identified with not only the death of Jesus, but also his resurrection. Because when the ark comes to rest after the flood waters subside, it comes to rest on a mountain called Ararat which means the curse is reversed. But before that he releases two birds from the ark, one of which is an unclean bird. And when it’s released, it doesn’t return to the ark. He releases a dove next and when he lets it go, it does return, and it returns with an olive branch in it’s mouth, I’m still talking about baptism.

The Dove With The Olive Branch
What do you think that olive branch is a picture of? Isaiah said that he would grow up out of dry ground, like a tender branch, talking about Jesus. So he brings back in his mouth an olive branch, the dove, which is a picture of the Holy Spirit, and he brings back a witness that there is a new world. The new world that everyone is looking forward to as they plan on this planet being destroyed, I hate to burst your bubble, but he’s not going to destroy this teraphirma, this earth. He’s already said in Genesis when he destroyed the earth the first time that he wasn’t going to do it again.

Jhn 15:26
But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, [even] the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

Genesis 8
21And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done. 22While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.

Editor’s Note
Are you understanding what that’s saying there? I hear it preached when this verse is referred to that it is true that God will never destroy the earth again by flood, but they’ll immediately follow that with their belief that he will destroy it by fire, which is their platform on the rapture and the great tribulation. But that’s not what this says. This says that God will never again destroy the earth because of the works of men . . .which again is the basis for the destruction of the earth in the great tribulation. The tribulation is for the evil people, the ungodly people, all the so called plagues that are supposed to be released at the end of the world are all focused on the sinners, it’s all the opposite of what God just stated here in this verse.

I think, dimensionally, that this is also connected to where John was told not to measure the outer court. We’ve since learned that this is a spiritual picture of not to judge others for their outside appearance. God is also saying here that he’s not going to bring his judgment on an earth because of the actions of men. It’s not what’s on the outside that defiles you, it’s what comes “out” from what’s inside you that defiles you..
End of Note

What about that Scripture over there in Peter that talks about the elements being burned up with a fervent heat? You know that Scripture? That’s where all the fire-and-brimstone preachers really camp out and give you hell. (with forced and emotionally packed speech) “THE ELEMENTS ARE GOING TO BURN WITH FERVENT HEAT (exaggerated breath between sentences) THE SKIES ARE GOING TO RAIN FIRE!!! The truth is, the word “elements” there have nothing to do with the atmosphere, but if you look up the definition of the word, you’ll find it has everything to do with the law.

Definition for
Elements
stoicheion {stoy-khi'-on}
1) any first thing, from which the others belonging to some series or composite whole take their rise, an element, first principal
a) the letters of the alphabet as the elements of speech, not however the written characters, but the spoken sounds
b) the elements from which all things have come, the material causes of the universe
c) the heavenly bodies, either as parts of the heavens or (as others think) because in them the elements of man, life and destiny were supposed to reside
d) the elements, rudiments, primary and fundamental principles of any art, science, or discipline
1) i.e. of mathematics, Euclid's geometry

Word Study for Elements

Gal 4:3 Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world:
Gal 4:9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?
2Pe 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
2Pe 3:12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

Word Study For Rudiments

Col 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
Col 2:20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,

Both words, elements and rudiments are from the exact same Greek word stoicheion {stoy-khi'-on}

He’s already destroyed the earth by the flood, he said “I will not destroy it again.” Are you hearing what I’m saying? This is a very important principle of interpretation. I’ve repeated this over and over and over again. In 1 Corinthians 15 there is a principle laid out that we’re to really build everything else off of.

37And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other grain: 38But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body. 39All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds. 40There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. 41There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory. 42So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption: 43It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power: 44It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. 45And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. 46Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. 47The first man is of the earth, earthy; the second man is the Lord from heaven. 48As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly. 49And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly. 50Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

First the natural, then the spiritual.
There are natural events that you read about in the Old Testament for example that have spiritual implications. But this dove returns to the ark and he’s got and olive branch in his mouth. He again, brings proof of witness that there’s life from a new world. Now I’m going to stretch you just a bit here and tell you that as this dove comes back with the evidence from a new world, being identified in Christ, he finds that olive branch in the shallows of the Jordan river where the olive branch is being baptized and his name is Jesus. Can you see that?

Editor’s Note
The dove, he’s referring to the Holy Spirit that manifested at the baptism of Jesus in the Jordan river (meaning death, Jesus introduced resurrection to a river of death) “like” a dove. Did an actual dove hover over Jesus? Does it really matter whether one did or didn’t? The emphasis is not intended to be focusing on the natural, but on the spiritual. Just as an eagle in Scripture is a picture of the believers, the dove is a picture of the Holy Spirit. When the dove returned to Noah with an Olive branch, that is a vivid picture of Christ coming.

Noah means rest. The spirit was sent out from the ark, the ark is a picture of Christ also, remember? The ark is not just a picture of Christ, but it’s a picture of his redemption; his protection; his sacrifice. The ark was exposed to the judgment of the flood upon the earth, but those hidden inside were protected. They were “Protected.” They were “chosen” because Noah was found “righteous” in the eyes of God. They were “redeemed” from the curse of the earth due to that righteousness. And then the sacrifice, the ark became the veil between Noah and judgment. Jesus did the same thing for us on the cross. Those who are hid “in” Christ are redeemed, protected, and no longer need a sacrifice because Christ was “the” sacrifice for all of us.
End Note

Picture of Birds
Now the unclean bird flies all the way to Revelation 18 where we see Babylon has become the cage of every foul and unclean bird. See, birds are patterns as well. Whenever you see the Bible talk about birds, it’s not just referring to fly around in the air. Birds have the ability to fly around in the sky, in dimensions of life where we as people can’t go without great man-made alterations. But birds were created to fly in the heavens, birds always speak of spirits, clean or unclean. I’m just giving you things here that will help you along in your own study of learning the things of God.

Remember when Abraham was offering a sacrifice? And what happens? All the unclean birds and the foul of the air try to come and steal the sacrifice. Isn’t that true that any time you make a commitment to God, or consecrate yourself to God or make covenant with God, even Jesus talks about in parable of a sower sowing the seed. And what happened? The fouls of the air came to devour the seed. What’s he talking about? He’s not talking about natural birds anymore than he’s talking about natural sowers and natural seeds. He’s talking about spirits.

You come every Sunday to church to hear the word of God, what happens? Right now you’re probably doing pretty good, but as soon as you leave here, there’s a pack of birds waiting on you. What do they want to do? They want to steal this seed that’s being planted in you before it has the opportunity to mature and take root in you because they know that if it takes root in you, that it will eventually bear fruit in you.

Still a Lot of Egypt in You?
Another “figure” another picture, another key to understanding the mystery of Christ in you as it relates to water baptism has to do with the children of Israel coming out of Egyptian bondage that they’d been under for 400 years, they were out of Egypt, but Egypt wasn’t out of them. Just like when you were born again, you didn’t wake up the next morning and you were rid of everything you used to be. In fact, some of you are still working on that right now aren’t you, and have been for a long time. So God had gotten them out of Egypt but they still had a lot of Egypt in them.

So he traveled 3 days into the wilderness, there’s the number three again, and after Moses leads them into the wilderness, Pharaoh gathers up his horsemen and his lynch men and when he does they are all gathered at the Red Sea. Isn’t it interesting it’s the “red” sea? I believe it’s the same sea that we saw in Revelation 15 where blood flowed to the horses bridle. I don’t think that’s to happen in the future, I think that’s something that’s happened already in our past.

Stand Still, Fear Not, and “See”
And the waters of the red sea parted, they walked across on dry ground, they’re on the other side, and we’re going to fast forward through a lot of it here but he tells Moses to stand still, fear not, and see the salvation of the Lord. They go through on dry ground, they come out on the other side, the waters converge as Pharaoh and all his armies come down into the bed of the red sea and drowns them.

Editor’s Note
Check this out, that “Be still, fear not and see the salvation of the Lord kind of jumped out at me so I thought I’d do a quick little word study . .this is rich. It’s not very big, but man, it’s huge!

Exd 14:13
And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD, which he will shew to you to day: for the Egyptians whom ye have seen to day, ye shall see them again no more for ever.

2Ch 20:17
Ye shall not [need] to fight in this [battle]: set yourselves, stand ye [still], and see the salvation of the LORD with you, O Judah and Jerusalem: fear not, nor be dismayed; to morrow go out against them: for the LORD [will be] with you.

Isa 52:10
The LORD hath made bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God.
Luk 3:6 And all flesh shall see the salvation of God.
End of Edit

Dead and Buried
And then they begin to sing. Miriam, Moses sister and a prophetess wrote and sang the song of the horse and rider being thrown into the sea. What is that a figure of? Just like Noah is a figure of water baptism, is this a figure also do you think? I think so, in as much as they had been delivered by the blood of the Passover lamb hadn’t they.

They’d been brought out by the application of the blood of the Passover Lamb which is a picture of when his blood is applied to us, we are brought out of our bondages. But there are still things that have to be dealt with in each and every one of us. Because just as sure as you’re born again, these strongholds, familiar spirits, these family spirits, these generational curses, they pursue you, isn’t that right.

But when we understand what happens in water baptism, if we understand what happens in our identification with him and our baptism into him, then you receive the revelation of how he has drowned all of that. Just like when you were taken down into the water, you were testifying, it didn’t necessarily just happen when you went into the water, when you were taken down into the water, you were testifying that every thing that had taunted you and held you in bondage, every fear, every thing that was genetically and generationally passed down to you is utterly submerged and drowned into that so that you come forth into the newness of life.

Naman Baptised in the Jordan
So these are pictures of baptism. Naman is a figure, a picture, remember Naman? A Caesarian general who comes to the prophet and he’s infected with leprosy. Leprosy is a type of sin. And he is told to do what? Go to the Jordan river, the same river that Jesus was baptized in. The same river the children of Israel crossed over to go in the promised land. The same river where Elisha comes with the mantle of Elisha and hits the river with the mantel and cries out for the God of Elisha and again, the river separates, Jordan river, it’s definition means death right? Death always has to give way to those with a message of life. Naaman is told to go to the Jordan river to dip 7 times and he argued “Aren’t the rivers of my country better?” That’s a picture in and of itself. We want God to rid us of our sinful natures, but not by his method. I’ll take the end result without following the established pattern . .no, it doesn’t work that way.

Seven Baptisms in Scripture
The prophet wasn’t trying to humiliate him, he was trying to get him to see what his real condition was. And the only thing that would cleanse him of that condition. So he goes to the Jordan river finally, and when he comes up, his skin is like new, right? There’s another picture right there of being made a new man. Now hear this, he had to dip 7 times. I told you . .I keep opening these little doors and closing them, I know, I’m aware of that. But again, I believe there are at least 7 baptisms spoken of in Scripture. You say “well I need to know what those all are so I can get them fulfilled.

You understand that you’ve been baptized into Christ and you’ve been baptized in water. If you hadn’t been baptized in water, I wouldn’t leave this building until I was baptized in water. There’s also of course the baptism of the Holy Spirit and another one in fire and there are other progressive experiences of being perfected in him. The number 7 is the number of perfection. Many of those you may have had to experience without knowing exactly what they are.

Have you had certain experiences in God, only later to find out what the word of God has to say about it. And you go “Yeah, Oh yeah, I understand what that was all about now.” It all has to do with perfecting you. Not being perfect, but perfecting you. That’s probably one of my most favorite statements these days. “We may not be a perfect church, but we are surely a church he’s perfecting. That doesn’t mean flawless. The word perfection has to do with maturing. We are growing up into him who is the head.

Right now the body of Christ really isn’t proportionate to or doesn’t really match the head who is Christ but we are growing. That’s really my passion, is to see the body of Christ perfected. That’s what my calling is, in Ephesians 4, is to see the body of Christ perfected that they be no more tossed to and fro by every wind of doctrine but that they are perfected into him. . .

Ephesians 4
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ: 14That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; 15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

No Growth in Religious Repetition
I’m not going to reach this maturity and perfection if I continue to do what I’ve done for so long, if I continually focus on what I’m not. Instead, I need to find out and focus on what and who I am, I’m not perfect, I already know that. I want to know who I am from Christ’s perspective. It doesn’t take a gifting to tell me what I’m not. And you do need to be careful when you criticize yourself as well as other people. Because whether “you” see it or not, you are made in his image and his likeness. That’s why Paul said “I am determined to know no man after the flesh but after the spirit . . .”

Making You Look Bad, Makes Me Look Good
You better believe that the first time you open your mouth, and we’ve all been guilty of it so this isn’t a cheap shot at the guilty gallery, but the first time you open your mouth to critique, criticize or compare somebody . . .you ever notice sometimes these comments that slip out of your mouth that you make about people, and then the Holy Spirit seizes you after you did it and you realize what you did was you were trying to make yourself look better because you were comparing some kind of weakness or vulnerability they had to a strength that you’ve got.

That’s the way the flesh is, it always tries to make it feel better about itself. That’s how self-righteousness manifests itself. I think that’s why Jesus looked at those men with their stones in hand and took this woman and threw her at his feet whom they claimed caught her “in the act” of adultery. That’s a little suspicious right there don’t you think? For these self-righteous guys, they knew where she was at. And you usually don’t forcefully take someone out of that kind of an act unless you knew ahead of time that it was going to happen in the first place. Maybe you’ve even frequented the place yourself.

Stone’s = Pieces of Broken Law
They’re standing there with stones in their hand, a great picture of holding onto parts of the broken law, they all have their piece of the law to pelt that woman with right? They all have their issues, they all have their own opinion and feeling about her unrighteousness.

We could go on and talk about the baptism and how it relates to the consecration of the priests. Aaron, I promise I’ll talk about this one more thing and then we’ll go on, all right? Aaron, obviously was chosen to be the ministry of the priesthood because he was of the tribe of Levi and that had to be so. But it’s interesting to me that the Lord didn’t consecrate Aaron into the priesthood before his terrible mistake and fall. But it happened afterwards.

Remember what Aaron did? While Moses was on the mountain, Aaron gives in to the pressure of the people? They take out their earrings and they melt down the gold to make a golden calf. That’s a great picture of the importance of hearing from God, they’re rings of gold. His eternal word, they’re rings, and they forfeit it all by coming into a unity to worship a golden calf, a cow, a picture of plowing. They wanted a god they could see. And Aaron had tragically failed.

After that situation, it appeared that Aaron had totally disqualified himself. These kinds of passages really encourage me. Because there’s a lot of things I’ve done in my life, a lot of failures and a lot of shortcomings that I haven’t measured up, but after all of that, “then” the Lord says to Moses “bring Aaron because I’m going to consecrate him unto me.” And he brings Aaron to the door of the tabernacle and he strips him, not to humiliate him, but he strips him. Remember we talked about being clothed in the righteousness of God last week. He strips him and washes him from head to toe, there’s another picture of baptism.

Being Clothed in Righteousness
And then he puts these gorgeous garments on him, these beautiful garments, a golden miter upon his head. And he changes is image, his identity completely. Before that, anybody that looked at Aaron probably couldn’t look into his face because he was walking in shame and guilt for what happened with the golden calf. But not God. Can you imagine if you were Aaron and you had all those voices around you that were murmuring and complaining and Aaron came under such pressure to do something because they convinced themselves Moses wasn’t coming back.

Moses was gone 40 days and nights and I’m sure he didn’t set down with them and let the leadership under him know how long he was going to be gone because he himself didn’t know. But the murmuring and complaining only grew around him to the point he had to do “something” to show he was their leader now. Can you see what that is a picture of? There are many voices in the world the Bible says. There are all kinds of voices telling you “you ought to do this, you ought to do that . . .” and you get to the place where you forfeit your right to hear from God and you’ll create something without realizing it that it’s a god to yourself.

So before that, I’m sure Aaron was crushed with shame, and condemnation and guilt. But after Moses, being the greatest prophet in the Old Testament. He’s actually a picture of Jesus in the Old Testament, a deliverer of people from their bondage and wilderness. So Moses washes him and clothed him with these magnificent garments I mentioned earlier. From then on, any time you saw Aaron, you couldn’t be distracted any more by what he was, you could only see what God had made him to be. Now, back to the old man . . .

Romans 6
6Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

Body of Sin
Now, he talks about the body of sin here, is he talking about this body that I live in? Let me remind you of this very basic and fundamental truth that I have to also constantly remind myself of . . .”this” this body I’m in, this is not me. It’s like saying the house I live in is me. No it’s not, it’s where I abide, but it’s not who I am. This body is what I live in, but it’s not me. Are you following me? I’m not trying to be cute. Paul puts it another way, he groaned to be delivered from this tent, he called this body a tent.

2 Corinthians 5
1For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven: 3If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked. 4For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life. 5Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, who also hath given unto us the earnest of the Spirit. 6Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord: 7(For we walk by faith, not by sight:) 8We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. 9Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him.

MESSAGE TRANSLATION
1-5For instance, we know that when these bodies of ours are taken down like tents and folded away, they will be replaced by resurrection bodies in heaven—God-made, not handmade—and we'll never have to relocate our "tents" again. Sometimes we can hardly wait to move—and so we cry out in frustration. Compared to what's coming, living conditions around here seem like a stopover in an unfurnished shack, and we're tired of it! We've been given a glimpse of the real thing, our true home, our resurrection bodies! The Spirit of God whets our appetite by giving us a taste of what's ahead. He puts a little of heaven in our hearts so that we'll never settle for less.
6-8That's why we live with such good cheer. You won't see us drooping our heads or dragging our feet! Cramped conditions here don't get us down. They only remind us of the spacious living conditions ahead. It's what we trust in but don't yet see that keeps us going. Do you suppose a few ruts in the road or rocks in the path are going to stop us? When the time comes, we'll be plenty ready to exchange exile for homecoming.

You are a SPIRIT
You “are” a spirit. You “have” a soul, and you “live” in a body. You need to really not be able to just quote that. But you really need to be able to see the revelation of that. You ARE a spirit. You have a soul and you live in body. Now that doesn’t mean “Oh, okay, if I’m a spirit then I’m not responsible for what happens to my body.” No, that’s why Paul starts out by saying “What shall we say then, shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?” Do you know there are actually people who preach that? “I’m not responsible for what my body does, or what I think in my mind, because I’m a spirit.”

The Body of Sin
So what is he talking about when he speaks of this body of sin (back to Romans 6). You have to remember that Paul, even though he’s a New Testament writer, he’s always using images and types from the Old Testament. The body of sin; remember in the Old Testament they sacrificed an animal because the ultimate sacrifice who is Christ had not come. And he talks about the body of sin being destroyed . .. I know I have to keep reaching back into the tabernacle of Moses to explain these images but it’s important for you to see that.

In Moses’ tabernacle whenever they’d come and worship, they’d come and bring a sacrificial lamb, they’d lay that lamb onto an altar, it’s called the brazen altar. And in the workings of that altar was a grate. A network of brass, a grate, a meshed wire. They’d lay the body of that lamb they’d sacrificed on that grate and the fire from beneath it would consume it until it was totally gone. Now I want you to understand that picture because when it was totally consumed, there was absolutely no evidence left that there ever was an animal there. That’s a picture of justification.

Justified By Faith
One of the mistakes I think we’ve made when teaching on justification is that we have . . .you’ve heard the term dealing with justification we are justified by faith . . .Romans 5

Rom 3:28
Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Rom 5:1
Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

Gal 3:24
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster [to bring us] unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

The body of this sacrificial animal was turned to ashes. There was no evidence that it ever existed. You’ve got to understand, again, in identifying with his death, it doesn’t matter how “you” look at it. How “he” looks at it is what you used to be is not just put away somewhere and hidden, or that he’s minimized, but what he’s done is, he’s taken your old man and he’s consumed it to the point that there’s no way you can prove that the old you ever existed!

I know that may be simple to some of you. I’ve been studying the Bible for a long time and when I was reading that today again and again and again, I couldn’t help but praise him out loud! I mean there is no evidence that this body of sin ever existed. It’s been destroyed. “If that’s the case then why am I still tempted? Why do I still have these desires? Why do I still have these lusts?” There are several things that are true about you that you may not be experiencing yet.

That’s why he starts out by saying “knowing”. Not “having known,” “Knowing”. People perish for the lack of knowledge. “Okay, when you get this thoroughly explained to us then I won’t have a problem with sin anymore.” You do understand and I’m not just trying to be cute here, but the question is still, do you realize that your “condition” doesn’t always match your “position”.

Ephesians 2
5Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) 6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: 7That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus

That is your position in him. You’ve been raised up in heavenly places “in Christ”. The purpose for us to be seated in heavenly places was so that we could be shown the exceeding riches of his grace. He seated us in heavenly places so we could see spiritual reality. Our responsibility to this is to offer our minds to him so that the Holy Spirit can renew them so that our condition will match our position.

Perfect Head, Disconnected Body
Ephesians 1 says he is the head and we are the body. I have a friend right now who’s been in a coma for the last 12 weeks. This individual isn’t aware of what’s going on around her, they have to come in every day with a therapist to move her hands and feet so that she won’t get atrophy, another term for it is foot drop. It’s to ward off muscle deterioration. Physically, there’s nothing wrong with her muscles, her arms and legs, they are perfectly healthy. But because of her being in a coma there’s a disconnection between her mind and her body.

It’s the same with people who have like, spinal injuries. Their minds are clear and they can even communicate very normally, but the communication between their mind and their body has been severed and even though the body appears to be completely healthy and has all the required elements to be able to stand up, walk, run and all of that, with no communication from the brain to tell it what it should do, it can do nothing. When this person comes out of the coma that we’ve been praying for, she will have to learn how to walk and use her hands all over again.

The reason why I went off into that little analogy is that, See, there’s nothing wrong with the head which is Jesus Christ. He is the head and we are the body. But the body has to be trained to respond in accordance to the commands that’s coming from the head. When you start teaching these things to newborn believers and they’re struggling with all kinds of sin in their life. Many of them get discourages and conclude that apparently they didn’t really have a genuine conversion experience.

You ever know anyone like that? You yourself may know that they did indeed have a genuine experience with God and when they first had the experience, they were convinced and persuaded until they went back to their workplace or their regular environments and when they’re whole world didn’t change and they still had the same lusts and desires, because the Bible says that the flesh lusteth against the spirit. There’s a struggle going on constantly there. What has to happen though is, their body has to begin to respond to what is true of the head. They have to have their mind renewed as well.

Believing is Being
Because the way you behave is based on what you believe. Don’t tell me you believe something if it doesn’t affect the way you behave. The way you believe affects the way you behave. I’m not talking about having a mental ascent toward something. When I say “believe” something, it’s aesthetic, it’s part of you. It affects the way you behave. This may help some who are concerned about going to extremes and may bring a little balance here. Even though we are the righteousness of God in Christ, even though we have to understand our identification with him and how we are in him, all these marvelous pictures that we’ve been examining as truth, that still doesn’t mean you’re going to walk out and suddenly you’re going to be free from all of these things.

Because even though this is true of the hidden man, Peter calls your spirit the hidden man of the heart. The body has to be taught to respond to the heart. What did Jesus say when he was in the garden of Gethsemane and he is in great anguish and travail there and his soul is exceedingly sorrowful and the disciples are struggling to stay awake. And to them he says that famous line, “Your spirit is willing, but your flesh is week.” It’s not a problem with your spirit, it’s your flesh. Even though that’s a very simple statement, we want to make sure that ground is covered really well. I think to we have come back to this thing about habitual sin. This sin that you practice on a regular basis in contrast to sin that occurs when you fall into temptation, it’s connected to the unforgivable sin but I can’t go into that right now.

Romans 6
7For he that is dead is freed from sin. 8Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him: 9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.

Dominion of Death
Death hath no more dominion over him . . .isn’t that interesting? What does the word dominion put you in mind of? Where was man first given dominion? In the garden. If you think that you can get into a certain environment around the right people, stay in the word of God on a consistent basis and pray on a consistent basis, that all of those things are going to make you immune from sin, may I remind you that Adam was in the garden of Eden and he fell.

There’s not one of us, of all the things we’ve come to understand about the Bible, have even scratched the surface to understand what Adam had in relationship and knew of God before he fell. I believe that’s what God is trying to restore us to. That’s why we’ve had this civil war that’s been going on all these thousands of years. I’m not talking about what happened in 1860 or whatever. I’m talking about the civil war in you. I’m talking about the carnal, the mind is always at war with God.

Death hath no more dominion over him . . .is that applying to physical death? I don’t think he’s talking about physical death here because physical death didn’t come first, spiritual death came first. There would not have been physical death had there not have been spiritual death. “In the day that you eat the fruit of that tree you shall die. . .” Did he die in the next 24 hours? No. In dying thou shalt die. So what is it talking about here? It’s a spiritual death.

Death hath no more dominion over him . . . “yeah, it doesn’t have any dominion over him, but it still has domino over me!” You haven’t been listening to what we’ve been talking about the last few weeks then have you. It has dominion over you because you let it have dominion over you. “No, no Pastor, this isn’t God’s court and it’s not in the devil’s court, this is in mine.” I’m going to tell you this stuff that has dominion over me, has it because I permit it to have dominion over me.

10For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God. 11Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. 12Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

Here are the verses that I’d advise you underlining in your Bibles. Verse 6 talks about “knowing” this. 11 says likewise “reckon”. Verse 12 says LET IT NOT reign in your mortal bodies. Let it not . . .if it does, it’s because I let it. That’s why Paul says in Philippians “let” this mind be also in you which is in Christ Jesus. . . The third word here, we’ve looked at known, reckon and the last one is yield.

13Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

When he’s talking about members, he’s talking about your body, he’s talking about your faculties. He’s talking about all the senses through which temptation to unrighteousness gains entrance. That’s why “we” have to bring into captivity every thought that’s disobedient to Jesus Christ. The devil didn’t make you do anything. Let no man say when he is tempted he is tempted of God When? He is drawn away . . .here’s the process. I’ve been tempted today. I’ll probably be tempted before I go to sleep. I’m tempted “in” my sleep! I don’t have to be awake to be tempted.

Man, I could go to bed, and go to sleep with my Bible on my chest and have the raunchiest, foulest, vilest dream you can imagine. “Oh, you shouldn’t say that . .” Oh come on, give me a self-righteous break! Can I not be naked here and not ashamed? Don’t tell me that none of that stuff comes through your mind. Let no man say when he is tempted he is tempted of God I’m quoting James 1:13- Let no man say when he is tempted he is tempted of God, but understand, every man IS tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lusts.

How Did I End Up Here?
That’s the first step, when he is drawn away of his own lusts. Again, most people wouldn’t be having so much of a problem with these things if they just understood the process. They get into something and don’t realize how they got there. That’s why it starts out you gotta “know”.. Knowing, you got a have a revelation of this. “How did I get here?” You ever find yourself in a financial, mental, emotional mess . .have you ever had an argument with your wife or spouse and 30 minutes into the argument the Holy spirit quickens you and asks you where did it all start, and you don’t have a clue where it started at. Is my house the only one that has that problem? You don’t have a clue where it started at . . . Yeah, I know where it comes from every time . . .”she” started it.!! (Sorry, I just write what is being said <3)

Behold how great a matter a little fire kindleth.(James 3:5) Kindling is all it takes. Every man who is tempted is “drawn away” by “his own” lusts. Within me there is, within you there is the pristine Christ. The pure Christ. The same spirit that brought him out of a tomb 2,000 years ago look at me! It’s right here. Greater is he that is in ME! Than he that is in the world. I acknowledge EVERY good thing that is in me, in Christ. The more I talk that way the more my immune system is increased against being drawn away by those things. That doesn’t mean I’m not going to see it, it doesn’t mean that I’m not going to think it, but when it happens, I stop it at the point of being drawn away.

I try to teach my boys this, I’ve got three - - red- blooded - - overdosed-on-testosterone – boys. And I’ve tried to help them to understand that when you’re drawn away by your own lust, that’s where you need to stop it. Don’t let condemnation set in on you that you’ve sinned. No, Jesus was tempted, but he didn’t sin. He’s drawn away of his own lusts . .it’s a luring term like when you talk about a fish being drawn by bait. The bait is there, enticed, drawn away by his own lust. Here’s the next step . . .

James 1
13Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: 14But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

Lust is a desire, it’s a product of your mind, will, and emotions. It’s a product of the soul. When conception takes place, what does that mean? That means when I have let it linger in my mind long enough and I’ve pondered long enough until I’m beginning to see images of it as if I had already experienced it. Even though I haven’t physically done it, but my lust has conceived and when my lust has conceived, it brings forth sin and sin when it’s completed, brings forth death. Does that mean I’m going to fall over and die? No, it’s separation from God. But what I have to do is I have to know. I have to know that the old man is dead. But what the enemy does is, he tries to resurrect the old man that I used to be.

Questioning Your Identity
He begins throwing questions in your mind to plant doubt. “Who told you?” The same temptation that Jesus experienced in the wilderness. “Who told you that you’re the son of God?” “Who told you that you weren’t vulnerable to this? Who told you that you could resist this? Who told you that you could actually get to the place where don’t think these thoughts?”

Honestly, there are some things right now that I’m never bothered by that I used to be bothered by, that used to be a real severe temptation and it’s not a temptation to me anymore. The reason why is because I’ve come to the point in that realm of my thinking that I know the old man is dead there. There’s no way, there’s nothing you can do to get a response out of me in that area. But there’s still other places where I have not come to this revelation that this old man is dead there.

Do Ya Reckon?
I mean, some of you guys wouldn’t have wanted to know me 15 years ago. Same guy preaching the gospel. You would not wanted to have crossed me. There’s stuff now that people do that used to infuriate me where as now, honest to God, I don’t even notice it. But I’m coming into a “knowing” and my mind is being renewed and it really doesn’t bother me anymore. After that, I have to reckon, that’s an accounting term.

The reason why you don’t draw on these resources is because you don’t know that you have them. You don’t know that they’ve been deposited in you. You don’t know about the riches of Christ. Bless us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places . . .

Ephesians 1:3
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ 4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: 5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

See you don’t really realize what kind of work you have, what kind of deposit you have in you and you have the ability to draw on it. I mean, if you realized that suddenly you have a million dollars in your bank account to draw from, first you wouldn’t believe it, you’d think it’s a mistake. Which is the response most people have to this sort of thing, they just can’t believe it, it’s to good to be true. No, it’s true and it’s good. You just need to reckon it, you need to start writing checks on it, you need to start drawing on that account and realize that it is indeed there.

Then when you do that, you can start yielding your members to start doing righteous things, you’ll find yourself doing things that you know is totally uncharacteristic of you. You’ll find yourself giving when you ought to be greedy. You’ll find yourself loving when you ought to be hating. You’ll find out that suddenly all the things that seemed to be unobtainable that Jesus talks about in the beatitudes that you have in you. Blessed are the poor in spirit, blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

Then you won’t have to run around with a Bible and try to thump people in the head and say “you better make it right or the rapture is going to come and you’re going to be left and end up in hell. You’re going to go through the tribulation. You’re going to take on the mark of the beast. No, they’ll see Christ in you and the renewed attitude that you have. They’ll see the Word of God come to life through you rather than more of the same old time religion from the dead ancestors we still attempt to keep alive. Let Jesus live through you, let his freedom reign in you.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum