You are not connected. Please login or register

Chapter Seventeen. Understanding The Jordan River

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

cross-eyed

Chapter Seventeen

UNDERSTANDING THE JORDAN RIVER

Definition of Jordan is “decender”

Joshua 3
9And Joshua said unto the children of Israel, Come hither, and hear the words of the LORD your God.
10And Joshua said, Hereby ye shall know that the living God is among you, and that he will without fail drive out from before you the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Hivites, and the Perizzites, and the Girgashites, and the Amorites, and the Jebusites.
11Behold, the ark of the covenant of the LORD of all the earth passeth over before you into Jordan.
12Now therefore take you twelve men out of the tribes of Israel, out of every tribe a man.
13And it shall come to pass, as soon as the soles of the feet of the priests that bear the ark of the LORD, the LORD of all the earth, shall rest in the waters of Jordan, that the waters of Jordan shall be cut off from the waters that come down from above; and they shall stand upon an heap.
14And it came to pass, when the people removed from their tents, to pass over Jordan, and the priests bearing the ark of the covenant before the people;
15And as they that bare the ark were come unto Jordan, and the feet of the priests that bare the ark were dipped in the brim of the water, (for Jordan overfloweth all his banks all the time of harvest,)

Is this a picture of heaven? We sing songs about glory land and living in the promised land in our hymns of praise, but the ancestors of our beliefs often saw the promised land as heaven which again, is an inaccurate interpretation. It’s not heaven. In this place there are adversaries that must first be dealt with before anyone can settle in. And note who it is who is suppose to remove the opposing ones. It is not the people of Israel, it is God himself. It says HE will “without fail” clean house before you.

As I read that, the question forms in my mind “why didn’t they clear the land of all of those enemies? Why did they end up letting them live among them? It is always the carnality of the mind that questions the truth of righteousness. Yet it is by asking questions that form in our minds, that we release answers to, and in our spirits. God asks us questions in preparation to give us revelation of truth. ‘Who do you say that I am?” So, why “didn’t” they sweep the land fully clean?

I’m taken back to Genesis chapter 4 where God is consoling Cain as Cain’s sacrifice was rejected and Abel’s was accepted. God told him that if he did well, he’d be accepted. But if he chose poorly, sin was waiting for the opportunity to trip him up. But then God says something familiar. He says to Cain, that as sin waits, it desires after him, but he, Cain, will rule over it. That is the same exact language God said to Eve.

He told her that she would desire after Adam, but that Adam would rule over her. It’s the same exact language. And just as his father before him, Cain had that authority to rule, but he didn’t exercise that authority and it ruled over him instead. Just as Adam didn’t rule over Eve when she offered him the fruit of the realm of carnality. Instead of subduing his earth, as God instructed, he submitted to that which he was to be subduing and as a result, carnality ruled over him and it ruled over Cain.

It’s the same thing here with Israel. God is declaring to them that they have the authority to rule over and see their enemies removed from their land of promise, but they didn’t exercise in that authority anymore than Adam or Cain did. It’s the same again in the church. She’s been given dominance over the flesh, but she’s just not exercising it. There are leaders in her that see the promise and they are declaring they have that authority, but they don’t have the intimacy the authority requires in order for it to manifest.

I’m not saying these leaders in the church are evil, I’m just saying they’re embracing a system that’s got the same earmarks that the old covenant did. It’s not complete and it’s temporary. Intimacy with Christ is not about great personal disciplinary activity. Nor is it about self evaluation and self correction. Righteousness doesn’t come by living right. Living right births from righteousness within. Law is about consciously living and doing what’s right. Intimacy is simply embracing the unknown and even illogical things of God.

It’s turning away from what I do, and coming into the awareness of who I am. I am a priest and a king, I am God’s kid. I am a ruler over this realm and my life. It’s not about earning my authority, it’s about releasing it. We have been given the authority to rule over our flesh and carnal thinking, but until we pursue personal intimacy with the Father, we’ll not see the fullness of that authority be activated over our bondages and weaknesses. It’s not about living by a law, it’s about returning back to the original order God established in man from the beginning.

There is a passage in scripture that is used as an intimidator for the lay-people in the church to always be on guard about, and never be confident in their salvation. The perception is that no one is really sure of their salvation. Even people in the church who think they’re safe and they follow all the rules are at risk. Are you wondering what passage I could possibly be referring to?

Matthew 7
21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

What a sobering thought. So many churches have identified themselves with the activities they’re involved in, with all the ministries and outreaches and conventions they’ve orchestrated over the years, stressing the importance of being spirit baptized and adhering to the doctrines they’ve set up. Casting out demons and prophesying apparently isn’t the cutting edge of the Christian walk after all.

Not only was it off the mark, but it is the work of iniquity. Iniquity here means being outside the law. I find that interesting because that’s what the church is all about. Establishing and teaching the laws of God. How many times have you heard sermons on the ten commandments? Then Jesus comes along and instead of reinforcing the ten, he condenses it down to two. Incidentally, it was way more than ten, there were so many laws that even the priests needed interpreters to interpret the very thing that they were to teach. It was actually in the hundreds.

But Matthew 7 speaks of the religious as the ones outside of the law. And here’s what the church teaches this to mean. It means that there is no guarantee that you’re really as saved as you think you are. That there will be these individuals who’ve devoted their entire lives into ministries only to find that they’ve been thrown out of heaven. Just because you “think” you’re a Christian, doesn’t mean you really are.

It’s that whole line of thought that just makes me shudder. Jesus spent much of His time trying to instill peace and confidence of faith in God. So why would He turn around and take it away? First of all, it’s not about being thrown out of heaven, or cast into hell. It’s about the “kingdom” of heaven. Hearing with spiritual ears and seeing with spiritual eyes. That’s what it’s about. If you remember way back in chapter 7 of this book, I spoke about the fact that not everyone will have these spiritual eyes and ears.

The kingdom of heaven is the governing principles that operate in the spiritual realm. Remember Nicodemus? You must be born again in order for what? Enter heaven? Avoid judgment? No, you must be born again in order to SEE the kingdom of heaven. In order to have the ability to see beneath the surface of what’s written and see the original intent for the heart rather than the head.

‘That’s” what this passage is referring to. Not everyone who considers themselves Christians will be able to enter into this realm of the kingdom. It has nothing to do with heaven or hell. It has everything to do with spiritual comprehension. Secondly, these people He refers to, see their relationship is one based on their works. They immediately fall back on their efforts and the result of their efforts rather than on their relationship with the Father. It’s not about what gift you have or how fluently you operate when the spirit is moving.

That’s the one thing in this passage that has always jumped out at me. Jesus said “depart from me ‘I NEVER’ knew you.” I never could understand how someone could come into the gifts of God, use them in the church, but yet “never” know Christ. I would understand if Jesus would have said “I no longer know you . . .” But He didn’t. He said “I NEVER knew you.”

It wasn’t until the inner support system of my own doctrines were falling all around me when I realized that it was because these people never came to Jesus in the first place. They were born into a church’s religious image of Jesus, one that was identifiable through ministry, rather than one that was based on relationship. And if I’m operating in a ministry that is more important than relationship, I am doing the work of iniquity. I am operating outside of God’s law. And what is God’s law?

Jesus said there are only two that we should really have manifesting in us. Loving the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, and strength, and loving our neighbors as our “self”. I just got that. I was always wondering how can someone love another as much as they love themselves, if they don’t really like themselves in the first place. And that’s still not the point. The point is not that you come to an acceptance on some level of who you are. I think it’s important that we do come into that awareness, but for this particular application,

I think there’s even a bigger point. The point is, regardless whether or not you like or dislike yourself, everyone loves their flesh. But with a renewed mind, that attention to flesh is now turned toward your neighbor. So in the end, your love is in the nature and essence of the power of the cross, so much so, that the operation of those two laws actually form a cross. Loving God is a vertical relationship, and loving your neighbor is a horizontal relationship. When the two become as one, they form the cross. Christ is always the centerpiece of everything.

The word “knew” you, there in Matthew 7 is the same word used for when Adam “knew” Eve. It’s a word of intimacy. And that’s what Jesus was referring to. These people who identify their relationship with God through their ministries, really don’t have any intimacy with God at all. If they did, they’d realize He’s fulfilled all the requirements of the law so that our identity is in the finished works of rest, and not in the laboring ministries we cling to.

So, back to the promise land on the other side of the Jordan. Understanding that this kingdom is within you, this promised land is also “in” you. Which then leads us to realizing there are enemies within us all that are contrary to the kingdom itself. So what must we do? We must do the same things God instructed them to do. We must take the land, but let God deal with its inhabitants.

I’ve seen many churches organize their own means in which to deal with the inhabitants in the members. They establish rules and regulations and boundaries of what you can and can’t believe. They preach judgment and destruction down on the people, instilling fear and intimidation. Instead of being free from the slavery of Egypt and living in a land of plenty, we’ve led people out of darkness into chains of religion.

It’s not the church’s responsibility to clean people up. The church is not the spiritual police. But that’s what we’ve become. We’re the law enforcement of God, but our authority doesn’t come from the throne of God. It comes from the thrones of men, and we’ve deceived ourselves with our own religious banter.

They say if you repeat a lie enough times, it becomes the truth. I believe that’s what these idols we’ve been addressing have done. They’ve taken their man-made doctrines “about” God and have repeated them so many times that it’s a shock for them to even consider that anyone dare suggest changing them, or removing them all together. But that’s just what God is going to do. God is going to drive out the parasites that have embedded themselves in the doctrines of the church. And because the church is built on them, as the doctrines come down, so goes the church embracing it, but keep in mind, that’s a good thing. Glory is coming!

Joshua 3
12Now therefore take you twelve men out of the tribes of Israel, out of every tribe a man.

The number 12 is pretty commonly used all through God’s plan; 12 hours of morning, 12 hours of afternoon and evening. 12 months of the year, 12 constellations of the stars, 12 tribes of Israel, 12 apostles, 12 foundations of the “New Jerusalem”, 12 gates around the old Jerusalem, 12 pearls/gates in the New Jerusalem. The number 12 depicts divine government of perfection. How’s that work?

Well, take this verse in Joshua. God is establishing a new government with this people of transition. They’d been in bondage for 400 years, only to wander in the wilderness for another 40 years. Numbers are such a cool thing when you see their connection with spiritual principles. God’s plan is so perfect that He establishes His plan using natural numbers as a sign for us in the natural realm to see spiritual truth in everything.

God was about to establish a new phase of government to His chosen nation. He didn’t have them chose 12 men just because He’s sentimental. He does it to established a sign for all observers to hear with their spiritual ears what He’s saying to all of us.

What He’s saying is, there is a new government about to be established in this promise land that is just on the other side of the Jordan. This river is a huge thing. It wasn’t just any river that they had to cross, it was the Jordan. Jesus could have been baptized anywhere that had water, but it wouldn’t fit the pattern if He had. Just being baptized wasn’t the fulfilling of the prophetic with Jesus, but being baptized “in the Jordan” was. John the Baptist, the forerunner of Christ, “had” to be identified with this same river. Its definition is descender. Its implication is death.

This river is a picture of death. But that was all about to change for Joshua and Israel. God was setting up a new government for His people and they were about to defy the laws of nature to receive their inheritance. It’s what I’ve been telling you since you first picked up this book. To see spiritual truth, we have to break the laws of reasoning that are embedded in all of us. The woman with an issue of blood, do you know she broke the law to get her healing?

It was an enforced law that any woman who bled was considered unclean and was not to touch or be touched until this monthly cycle in her passed, but this particular woman bled for, how long? Interestingly enough, for 12 years. The number of government. The church is considered to be the “bride” of Christ. When reading of women in scripture, they are pictures of the church (2nd dimension = corporate body) and the church has been bleeding due to its established government being out of alignment.

And just like the woman, the church must also break the law from itself in order to reach out and touch Jesus and be healed. There has to be so great a desire for even the touch of the covering of Christ, that we don’t care what laws need to be broken, so long as we can press in and touch Him. When a woman no longer bleeds in her normal monthly cycle, it’s because a life form has been conceived in her. When a church stops its bleeding, it’s for the same reason, life has been conceived in her.

The purpose of man is to reproduce. An immature girl is not old enough to reproduce until she begins to bleed. Once she comes of age, she can give birth, but the order is for there to be a commitment to a man first. My woman in me can lay with anything that passes through and become impregnated, but only until she (my mind) makes that commitment to the true man in me (my spirit) will there be order within.

We put so much emphasis on natural experiences because we base them on biblical principles, but the truth is, those principles are not to be applied literally, but naturally. I’m not saying feel free to make babies out of wedlock, there are consequences to all of our choices we make. But what I am saying is, therefore NOW there is no condemnation. Messing up and making bad decisions takes nothing away from who I’ve been proclaimed by the Father to be.

Taking that image to the next dimension, the bleeding woman is my soul as my spirit is the man. Not carnal man, but spirit man. When my bleeding mind breaks through the laws of reasoning and logic and lays all of that aside and grabs hold of the garment of “the” man, only then will the bleeding stop and life form in my womb.

Twelve years she bled, but the time has come, church, for your government to be broken down so that God can heal you and plant the life seed in you so that you stop bringing people into your bondage and forcing them to bow to your image of God. Instead, may you begin reproducing His life in them so that they to can reproduce His nature in others.

This river of death was the only thing between Israel “seeing” the promise land, and “experiencing” the promise land. Moses could see it but not experience it because he was identified with the law. It illuminates and it directs, but it can’t enter into the promise land. Its purpose is to prepare us for it, but when we reach our maturity in the womb (40 is the number of birthing) the time comes for the umbilical cord to be severed and for us to breathe in the air of the spirit rather than the fluid in the womb.

Passing through the river of death was a sign of baptism for the infant nation of Israel. Their umbilical cord was about to be severed. But this picture goes even further than this. The ark went first ahead of them, and the presence of God led them into the river that went out of its banks. Death has no boundaries when it comes to the flesh. It’s like a consuming fire, it never fills up and never tires out.

But when the feet of the priests touched the water, redemption to man began to manifest. How? The river didn’t just stop flowing, it continued to flow in from up stream, but when the presence of God entered into it, an intervention of catastrophic proportions took place. The river backed up all the way to a specific city. Nothing is coincidental with God. I find it interesting that in John 3:16, one of the most famous verses is appointed to that passage about the love of God and the result of that love is to give life, and then Joshua 3:16 gives us the same message, just in another form.

Joshua 3
16 the water from upstream stopped flowing. It piled up in a heap a great distance away, at a town called Adam in the vicinity of Zarethan, while the water flowing down to the Sea of the Arabah (the Salt Sea) was completely cut off.

The intervention of God in the flooded river of death in man went all the way back to the origin of man. God was establishing a new government within man. What government? Law only led them to their death, but in that baptism of death, life resurrected and ushered them into the promised land. I just love that picture! The law was never intended to redeem us back to the Father, it’s only purpose was to lead us through our wilderness. God reversed the flow of death all the way back to the origin of man.

That’s what this event is really portraying. It was more than just a flooded river. It was more than just a river of death separating a nation from its promise of life. It was a picture of the power of God’s redemption, reaching all the way back to where Adam made his off-the-mark decision to live by knowledge, and He rectified that mistake. The “act” of Israel crossing the Jordan on dry ground is in itself, a prophetic proclamation of the power of the cross. It didn’t affect just people who believed in God. It didn’t touch just the Israelites, but it affected all of man kind.

Every person has that time when they come to the end of their wilderness experience and their labors are put to rest. The promised land in us has come and it’s our responsibility to simply “let” it happen. That’s all that God is requiring of us. To leave the law behind, enter into the river of death, bury our ‘self” in it so that we can be resurrected in Christ and enter into the dominion of the life He’s promised to us.

It was this same river that the forerunner of Christ established the coming of a new order in relationship with the Father. But for men to enter into this new order of Rest, they had to “repent”. Which simply means to turn around. It’s not about walking down an isle in a church full of strangers you’ve never met. It’s not about saying you’re sorry, and it’s not about repeating a sinners prayer after someone. I’m saying all repentance means is to stop doing the things God is convicting you about.

“Repent”. If you pursue Christ, all that other stuff will take care of itself as Christ’s nature begins to manifest through you. It’s not about learning what you should to, it’s about letting Him do His will through you. Just “let” Him be Him in you.

Are we talking about sinners coming to Christ? Are you a sinner? If you are, then yes, you can apply it TO YOU that way. If you’re not a sinner, then you can’t apply it to sinners. Scripture is not intended for me to apply it to you, or for you to apply it to another. It’s intended for me to apply it to ME. And for you to apply it to YOU. That’s what makes it a “personal” relationship with the Father.

So, to answer the question again, I would say no. It isn’t being applied to sinners because I’m no longer a sinner. I’ve let God turn me around, I’ve repented from the power of sin. I’ve been raised in a traditional church all my life. I walked down many an isle to an altar out of guilt and doctrinal influence.

It’s not all bad. Those sermons kept me from doing worse things than what I did. But as life goes on, it’s a repetitive action that churches appeal to that just isn’t necessary. It’s Hebrews 5 and 6 all over again. There are things we need to just let go of and the continuance of asking for forgiveness, saying I’m sorry, making a human effort to rectify something that has already been rectified, are included in those things that we need to let go of.

That’s what John the Baptist was doing with his ministry. He was giving notice to the religious realm that a new order was coming and it was time to take a dip in the river of death in preparation to the new order. It’s time to bring death to “self” so that resurrection can manifest.

That’s why Jesus himself was baptized in the Jordan. He was fulfilling the promise of the life when Joshua entered in the Jordan and saw it back up all the way to the city of Adam. God reached back all the way to our origin and redeemed us back to Himself. Now “that” is something to shout about.

14And it came to pass, when the people removed from their tents, to pass over Jordan, and the priests bearing the ark of the covenant before the people;

Before I move on, I just want to touch on one more thing with this passage. When the time came for them to make their final exodus out of the wilderness and into the promise land, the people were removed from their tents. This was the last time they camped since they were first out of bondage. In fact, this particular generation had never lived in anything else but a tent. They didn’t know what it was like to dwell in a permanent place.

Keep in mind, the law of the Old Covenant was never intended to be a permanent dwelling place for the nation. It was simply the tent that kept them from the elements until “the” permanent house was built for them. They never knew what it was like to live in any other kind of habitat other than a wilderness and a tent. They had no identity they could embrace. They simply went where they were led to go because that’s how it was.

The church today is in the same place. They don’t know what it’s like to live by anything other than the literal and moral implications of scripture. They’ve never applied it any other way. Even though Jesus taught about the aspects of the kingdom, no one actually entered into it because the foundation for that house was being laid, but not fully implemented . . . until now. This is the third day Jesus was speaking about when He said “tear this temple down and in three days, I will rebuild it.”

That was proclaimed 2 days ago. This day we’re now living in is the 3rd of those three days. There is a promised land of our own that God has orchestrated for us to enter into from the beginning of time. But before the church can enter into it, a death experience must occur. We must be baptized in our own river of death in which our “self” can be buried. In that burial, resurrection will manifest and we will rise up out of our natural reasoning and logic and find that we have the same exact Bible as we did before, but now, it’s meaning has changed drastically.

What we once read as rebuke, we now see as blessings. What was once viewed as judgment and death, now we see as righteousness and life. It’s the same verses as before, but because there’s been a death in our nature, our perspectives of those verses are no longer influenced by the darkness of our carnality. That’s what the entire message of this book has been about.

It’s not about defying an organization or raising up a rebellion against the church. It’s about proclaiming life where there’s only been religion. It’s about giving notice to the slave drivers that a Savior has come to free us from the bondage of our “selves”. And that the rules have changed. No longer will I dress in armor of warfare. I see now, that in the baptism of death that I personally experienced, my weapons of warfare have been transformed into plowshares and what once was enforced by religious law, is now transformed in to relational love.

So now, when I open the book of Revelation, it’s no longer a book of doom and gloom. It’s a celebration about a man and God being united together as one through the Son. It’s not a revelation of the antichrist’s rule and reign. It’s not about the end of the earth. It’s not even about the disappearance of the church.

It’s about the nature of Jesus and His supremacy over carnality in this realm, and His desire for the fulfillment of reconciliation to ALL of man in ALL men in their relationship with the Father. In the next chapter, I’d like to tear down yet another idol that the church has elevated to a distorted status.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum