APlace2Rest

You are not connected. Please login or register

Psalms 23 "Testimony"

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Psalms 23 "Testimony" on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:53 pm

A.R.T.I.C

avatar
Admin
Hi Everyone,

I would like to, over the next few days post here on this Psalms in Great detail.

So be patient with me, "Coming Soon". I just wanted to go ahead and set it up for later.

It has been a Great Blessing to me and I am in hopes that it will be to ya'll as well. I'll probably post my first entry later this evening. Smile

Blessings




The Gates of Hell Shall Not Prevail...Because The Love of God...Will....Never....Fail!
http://aplace2rest.forumotion.com

2 Re: Psalms 23 "Testimony" on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:02 pm

J.U.G.G.H.E.A.D.

avatar
Admin
I look forward to it. It has a special meaning to me in that even though my dad was not a follower (neither was I while he was still here) it was his favorite.



Wisdom is not measured by time, it is measured by understanding

3 Re: Psalms 23 "Testimony" on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:37 pm

A.R.T.I.C

avatar
Admin
I would love to take credit for this but alas, I can't.
It is directly taken from The World's Bible Handbook, by Robert T. Boyd, it is an Amazing and insightful look into the times that Jesus lived and walked this earth, and the ways of the people at that time.

So here we go.....

The Testimony of a Sheep: Psalm 23, commonly referred to as "The Shepherd's Psalm," is Not the Shepherd's Psalm. Although the shepherd is being praised, not once does he speak. A sheep does all the talking-giving a word of testimony as to the goodness of his shepherd, hence the expression, "The Lord is my Shepherd." This Psalm is in fact "The Testimony of a Sheep."

The Shepherd's Garb of Palestine was as follows:
The Robe, cloak, staff, rod, oil cruse, flute, knife, and Kafeiah (head dress).

a. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: vss. 2,3a. A sheep is an animal that chews the cud (eats so much, regurgitates, then chews it again). Lest the shepherd permit the sheep to roam and eat at will, knowing that on their own they will eat to much and get indigestion, he often separates them in a pasture, tapping each with his staff and calling each by name as he taps. This tap with the staff is a signal of authority and the sheep lie down in response. They can eat only just the grass around them, avoiding being stuffed or getting indigestion due to their nature of eating. While lying down, they also rest. After a good meal, they are led to a small stream or overflowing spring and drink from still waters. Now that their appetites have been satisfied and their thirst quenched, their whole being has been strengthened and refreshed---"He restoreth my soul" (or my whole being). How wonderful of our Shepherd to lead us into the "green Pastures and still waters" of His Word-giving us only enough at each feeding for our strength to be renewed and for growth so that we do not get spiritual indigestion or are carried about with every wind of doctrine (Eph. 4:14,15). O to accept the authority of the staff of His Word and have His best!

b. "He leadeth me" vs. 3b. In traveling from pasture to pasture, shepherds must lead their flocks over the barren, sun-baked desert (wilderness). To avoid cracks in the soil lest a sheep get a foot caught and break a leg, or to lead where the wool is not caught and snagged in the thorny brush, the shepherd leads them in a "right path", away from such pitfalls. This he does "for his name's sake." His desire is to present his flock to the wool buyers at the marketplace "without spot and without blemish." If the shepherd has so cared for his flock-maintained his reputation--the buyers do not even have to look at his flock; they go by the shepherd's name and give him top price.... WOW!!! sorry that was me. This is why our Shepherd leads us in a "path of Righteousness for His Name's sake"-it is His reputation that is at stake. The world judges Him by us. O the need to "hear His voice and follow Him!"

More to come.....



Last edited by Scherryl on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total




The Gates of Hell Shall Not Prevail...Because The Love of God...Will....Never....Fail!
http://aplace2rest.forumotion.com

4 Valley of the shadow of death: vs. on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:26 pm

A.R.T.I.C

avatar
Admin
c.Ofttimes the flock must cross a high mountain to get to another pasture. For centuries rock-hewn paths about two feet wide have been the only means of getting to the other side. As the shepherd slowly leads his flock upward, a height of 750 to 1000 feet above the valley might be reached. They are always in view of the "valley of the shadow of death." One slip of a foot and a sheep could plunge into the "valley of death." The shepherd talks continuously, assuring the sheep that he is with them-"for thou art with me." We might find many dangers in our Christian pathway, but our Shepherd "is with us always."

d. Thy rod and thy staff: vs.4b. About halfway up the dangerous path, the shepherd will stop and make his way back to the end of the line to see that all is well. As he does this, he taps each sheep with his staff, calling each by name.
This tap of the staff denotes a personal relationship between shepherd and sheep. What a comforting thought that our Shepherd knows us by name-assured by the staff of His Word of our personal relationship with Him. If a sheep falls over the side of the path and is caught by brush, the staff is used to rescue it-another comforting thought. If snakes come out of the rocks or wild beasts lurk nearby, the rod is used for protection-"thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." What a source of comfort to know that we have the staff and rod of His Word to resist our enemy that he might flee from us. Sometimes the staff is used to catch an unruly sheep as it tries to run from its shepherd, and the shepherd will use it as a "rod" to correct or discipline. While in disobedience we do not appreciate the staff of God's Word correcting us, what a comfort to know that our Shepherd cares and will bring us back unto Himself, even though He has to chasten us (Heb. 12:6; 2Tim. 3:16,17).







The Gates of Hell Shall Not Prevail...Because The Love of God...Will....Never....Fail!
http://aplace2rest.forumotion.com

5 A table-mine enemies: vs. on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:55 pm

A.R.T.I.C

avatar
Admin
e. There are times when a wounded sheep must have special attention, and must be protected from his enemies. Ironically, the enemies in this case are not snakes or wild beasts, but members of his own flock. (or our own household) me again. If left alone, the other sheep, smelling blood and sensing trouble because of the wounded sheep being motionless, will come over to it, eat all the grass around it, and will push and butt this afflicted brother. In a sense the "well" sheep become the "enemy" of a sick sheep. God forbid. This is true in the chicken family as well-a "sick chick" will be pecked to death by the well chickens.)

This I know very well, I used to work on a chicken farm, I would always try to move the sick chicken to a cage apart from the rest because of this reason. They were usually 4 or 5 to a cage.
And side by side, these were laying chickens, I pick eggs, among other things too.


The shepherd marks off an area about 20x15 feet for this sheep, placing his rod at one end, his staff at the other, takes off his cloak and places it on one side, and he himself lies down. This marked-off area constitutes the "table prepared in the presence of his enemies." Not a single sheep of the flock will dare cross over the rod or staff or cloak or shepherd to eat one blade of grass in this "table."



Too often Christians become the "enemy" of a fallen brother, becoming critical, condemning, and sometimes even ostracizing the "wounded" member of the flock. Many times the Lord-our Shepherd-comes to our rescue, preparing a table in the presence of these enemies. How much more wonderful it would be if we would just show some brotherly love and compassion and bear one another's burdens.




The Gates of Hell Shall Not Prevail...Because The Love of God...Will....Never....Fail!
http://aplace2rest.forumotion.com

6 Thou anointest my head with oil: vs. on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:33 pm

A.R.T.I.C

avatar
Admin
5b. This is done many times because the oil has a cooling, soothing effect upon the sheep when they are in the blazing sun. A wounded, cut, and bleeding sheep is also "anointed" with oil for healing-the oil poured upon the cuts and bruises. Anointing with oil also denotes a personal relationship-a touch-a reward-which shows joy and satisfaction on the part of the shepherd for his sheep. We often do this when we reward a dog with a biscuit. How often our personal shepherd seeds to "reward" us with His "oil of gladness" (45:7).

g. My cup runnesth over: vs. 5c. The "cup" is a hollowed-out block of stone about 30 inches long, 18 inches wide, and 18 inches high. Cups are located by the many wells and springs scattered through the Judean wilderness. The shepherd scoops up water, pouring it into the cup. Because the cup has been in the blazing sun, he keeps pouring water in, overflowing, until the cup is cooled. He then calls his sheep to drink, never stopping his pouring. He makes sure the water stays cool, and sees to it that the sheep have more than enough. Even if the sheep back away to rest for a moment before drinking more, the good shepherd keeps the cup "running over" to make sure his sheep have fresh, running water-"my cup runneth over". How wonderful of our Shepherd to give us new mercies every morning and benefits every day (Lamentations 3:23; Psalm 68:19).

h. The house of my shepherd: vs. 6. As the sheep concludes its testimony , the expression "goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life" is but a summary of "I shall not want." Just as the shepherd has cared for the sheep in the past-and is now doing-there is confidence that as long as the sheep lives nothing but the shepherd's goodness and mercy will follow. This is a reminder of our Shepherd -"Jesus Christ, the same, yesterday, today, and forever" (Heb. 13:Cool.




The Gates of Hell Shall Not Prevail...Because The Love of God...Will....Never....Fail!
http://aplace2rest.forumotion.com

7 Re: Psalms 23 "Testimony" on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:56 pm

A.R.T.I.C

avatar
Admin
But how can a sheep testify-"And I shall dwell in the house of my shepherd forever?" Does a sheep live forever? No. But "forever" to a sheep is as long as it lives. Does a sheep live in its shepherd's house? Yes, just like many of our pets do. When Nathan reprimanded David for his sin, he gave a parable about a poor man who had nothing, "save one little ewe lamb," which he had bought and nourished up: and it grew up together with him, and with his children; it did eat of his own meat, and drank of his own cup, and lay in his bosom, and was unto him as a daughter" (2 Sam. 12:1-3). It is nothing for a Palestinian shepherd to take an orphaned lamb or purchase one and "raise" it up together with his family. It becomes unto him "as a daughter." What oneness there is between the shepherd and his pet sheep! It will have the run of the house and everywhere the shepherd goes the lamb is sure to follow.

Has not our shepherd "bought" His sheep? Has not our Shepherd nourished us up in the "green pastures" of the "rod and staff" of His Word? Do we not eat of His meat and "sup" with Him as He sups with us? Do we "lay on His bosom," listening as He speaks peace to our hearts? Has not our Shepherd made us-not as a son or a daughter-but "sons and daughters" by our having received Him as our personal Saviour? Is there not the oneness between our Shepherd and His flock-our being made "one" with Him-an heir of God and a joint-heir with Jesus Christ? Has He not given us a promise that His sheep will "dwell in the house of their Shepherd forever more"? He certainly has! Even now He is preparing a place for us (John 14:2). In the meantime, "goodness and mercy" are following us every day, wherever we go. (68:19; Lam.3:23). The End. Very Happy

Blessings




The Gates of Hell Shall Not Prevail...Because The Love of God...Will....Never....Fail!
http://aplace2rest.forumotion.com

8 Psams 23 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:50 pm

Katie-do


That is awsome sis! I remember that Mommie read that to us a long time ago. It was awesome to refresh with that and Mom asked about it and was interested.

9 Re: Psalms 23 "Testimony" on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:55 pm

A.R.T.I.C

avatar
Admin
Oh, ..Great!!

I love you Bunches




The Gates of Hell Shall Not Prevail...Because The Love of God...Will....Never....Fail!
http://aplace2rest.forumotion.com

10 You anoint my head with oil on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:49 am

Guest


Guest
Scherryl wrote:...This is done many times because the oil has a cooling, soothing effect upon the sheep when they are in the blazing sun. A wounded, cut, and bleeding sheep is also "anointed" with oil for healing-the oil poured upon the cuts and bruises. Anointing with oil also denotes a personal relationship-a touch-a reward-which shows joy and satisfaction on the part of the shepherd for his sheep.

I was sharing with my friend Ward tonight the part about our Shepherd preparing us a table in the presence of our enemies, and he loved it. Neither of us had an awareness of that rectangular "table" that He prepares for our sanctuary.

Ward then shared where the sheep's sores come from. It's mostly from their rubbing and butting each others' heads. Does that picture of a flock describe His church?!!

11 Re: Psalms 23 "Testimony" on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:13 am

A.R.T.I.C

avatar
Admin
His Church.....??? I don't think so, but Religion, absolutely yes!!







The Gates of Hell Shall Not Prevail...Because The Love of God...Will....Never....Fail!
http://aplace2rest.forumotion.com

12 Re: Psalms 23 "Testimony" on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:36 am

Guest


Guest
Scherryl wrote:

Ouch, my forehead stings. Oil please! Rolling Eyes I love you

I might have the word wrong here. Remember I'm new to this and don't own the language yet. When Jesus warned us about what was to become of the kingdom, as if it were a mustard seed on steroids, I am taking Him to mean His church here on earth. The religious assembly of men aspects rather than the invisible kingdom of God's power. We're His church, right? I know I am a bonehead. I thought my brothers and sisters--even in this elite forum--were much the same as me.

13 Re: Psalms 23 "Testimony" on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:11 am

A.R.T.I.C

avatar
Admin
Of course we are David, but I cannot see you ever doing anything to cause hurt, or banging heads, slander, etc.etc...
and have no conscience of it towards God.

That is Religion, they have absolutely no conscience towards injuring the young or if they do they sure don't show it, they are Brutal and enjoy it. To me that is a seared conscience.

I would hope that we have found Peace enough with Him and with men, to the point of not intentionally hurting anyone.

I didn't mean to sound like we are elite here in this forum, but I would hope that we are different than what I've seen in those that call themselves Christian and treat their Brothers and Sisters with such Malice.

Blessings






The Gates of Hell Shall Not Prevail...Because The Love of God...Will....Never....Fail!
http://aplace2rest.forumotion.com

14 Re: Psalms 23 "Testimony" on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:17 am

A.R.T.I.C

avatar
Admin
I would like to think that we are the oil in this world that can heal the broken hearted, heal the sick, mend wounds, clothe and feed those that have been injured by way of Religion or the things of this World.

Because as He is, so are we in this World, Amen?

Blessings




The Gates of Hell Shall Not Prevail...Because The Love of God...Will....Never....Fail!
http://aplace2rest.forumotion.com

15 Re: Psalms 23 "Testimony" on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:37 am

Guest


Guest
Amen!

I don't think people really hurt others because that is their aim. Usually it is more on the lines of misguided intentions. Jesus warned us about this:

They will put you out of the synagogues; yes, the time is coming that whoever kills you will think that he offers God service. And these things they will do to you because they have not known the Father nor Me.
(Joh 16:2-3 NKJV)


They think they are doing a good thing on some level. And do you know that on some higher level they probably are! God works it all into His design.

Scherryl, you didn't say anything reflecting an elitest spirit. Not at all. It does seem to be part of the unspoken culture here though, after all haven't we received just a bit more enlightenment than the folks in those other forums?

I am reminded of another warning from Jesus, and I tremble:

"Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, 'God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.' And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."
(Luk 18:10-14 NKJV)

16 Re: Psalms 23 "Testimony" on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:57 am

J.U.G.G.H.E.A.D.

avatar
Admin
DavidHarreld wrote:
I am reminded of another warning from Jesus, and I tremble:

"Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, 'God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.' And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."
(Luk 18:10-14 NKJV)


It is by this that we have to be reminded, to not swell up in pride, we do our best to consume bread without leaven. If we do, our body has to be cleansed of it again; a fast of sort.

Jugg



Wisdom is not measured by time, it is measured by understanding

17 Re: Psalms 23 "Testimony" on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:57 am

Guest


Guest
Scherryl wrote:I would like to think that we are the oil in this world that can heal the broken hearted, heal the sick, mend wounds, clothe and feed those that have been injured by way of Religion or the things of this World.

Because as He is, so are we in this World, Amen?

Blessings

I love this and yes, that's what I would like to think too. Problem came when thinking this didn't bring this. To be the oil, it turns out that we first have to see the dung.

18 Re: Psalms 23 "Testimony" on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:58 am

A.R.T.I.C

avatar
Admin
Yes, I remember that last scripture well.
I too at one time trembled at it. But if you look at it real close, it isn't Christian speaking against another Christian here in this scenario, it's "supposedly" a Righteous one speaking against one that is of the World. And notice it is the man claiming his own good works.

This in reality does speak of Religion "The Holier than thou" aspect of the persons heart towards the Unrighteous.

Jesus did not have a problem with those that were without, His "only" problem was with Religion itself.

To my understanding there is a fine line between Discernment and Judgement.

We are to Judge Righteously, and to have discernment, especially with those of the body "the church".
But those without, God Judges, amen?

To me, we can't Righteously Judge anything, if we first have not received it within ourselves. (have come to understand it ourselves). Smile







The Gates of Hell Shall Not Prevail...Because The Love of God...Will....Never....Fail!
http://aplace2rest.forumotion.com

19 Re: Psalms 23 "Testimony" on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:59 am

Guest


Guest
jugghead wrote:
It is by this that we have to be reminded, to not swell up in pride, we do our best to consume bread without leaven. If we do, our body has to be cleansed of it again; a fast of sort.

Jugg


Run to the mountain!

20 Re: Psalms 23 "Testimony" on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:10 pm

J.U.G.G.H.E.A.D.

avatar
Admin
Scherryl wrote:

We are to Judge Righteously, and to have discernment, especially with those of the body "the church".
But those without, God Judges, amen?

To me, we can't Righteously Judge anything, if we first have not received it within ourselves. (have come to understand it ourselves). Smile

This spoke to me in this way:

We are to Judge Righteously (within ourselves of ourselves), and to have discernment, especially with those of the body "the church".
But those without, God Corrects, amen?

To me, we can't Righteously correct anything, if we first have not received it within ourselves.

Jugg



Wisdom is not measured by time, it is measured by understanding

21 Re: Psalms 23 "Testimony" on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:11 pm

A.R.T.I.C

avatar
Admin
Brilliant!!!! Yes, Yes, Yes....

Blessings




The Gates of Hell Shall Not Prevail...Because The Love of God...Will....Never....Fail!
http://aplace2rest.forumotion.com

22 Re: Psalms 23 "Testimony" on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:16 pm

Guest


Guest
I am dung, and you are all brilliant. Smile

23 Re: Psalms 23 "Testimony" on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:18 pm

A.R.T.I.C

avatar
Admin
NO, NO,...David you are not. Sad

How can you say that? Knowing who's life you now live.




The Gates of Hell Shall Not Prevail...Because The Love of God...Will....Never....Fail!
http://aplace2rest.forumotion.com

24 Re: Psalms 23 "Testimony" on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:19 pm

J.U.G.G.H.E.A.D.

avatar
Admin
And a thought that just came to mind:

To understand the flowing of the Spirit through our veins rather than the blood that causes decay is an awesome thing.



Wisdom is not measured by time, it is measured by understanding

25 Re: Psalms 23 "Testimony" on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:22 pm

A.R.T.I.C

avatar
Admin
jugghead wrote:And a thought that just came to mind:

To understand the flowing of the Spirit through our veins rather than the blood that causes decay is an awesome thing.

You Bet it is, the new man is created in Righteousness after The Image of God.




The Gates of Hell Shall Not Prevail...Because The Love of God...Will....Never....Fail!
http://aplace2rest.forumotion.com

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum