APlace2Rest

You are not connected. Please login or register

Throw Back to the 70's

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Throw Back to the 70's on Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:21 pm

klm4jc

I hope you will indulge me with a little levity, my apologies if you feel this not the right forum.

Hey over 50 gang..... I just had to share this with you this morning. My 28 year old son has become a Rush fan and we've started talking about Rush. It's funny how our children do walk in our footsteps in life. Anyway, we both love the 1976 album (yeah, not cd) '2112'. So this morning I decided to crank the tunes and listen to 2112. That stirred some things in me. The first time I really felt the reality of the presence of God was when I was tripping on acid serving in Alaska and listening to Rush 2112. Okay, I didn't know what acid was at the time and it didn't go well. By the end of the night I was having a bad trip and it was a still small voice that spoke to me and whispered 'listen to your refrigerator' that saved me. Now, before you all wet yourselves in laughter or mock me in disbelief.....it was that voice that caused me to stop thinking, focus on an external sound in my room and bring me from the edges of insanity to a safe place in the cleft of a Rock. So my quest began. Tell me God doesn't have a sense of humor, my testimony is that I was told to listen to my fridge......yeah, you need to be in a safe place to share that testimony. Credibility goes out the window for those with a religious mindset. God knew I would think that was funny years later. I sure love Him.

Anyway, after listening to the song, it stirred in me a longing that seems to have been dormant for some time. Then I came and read Scherryl's post:
Scherryl wrote:
I've come to understand that the Seven days of Gen. Was no doubt fulfilled by Christ first, but each of us must go through, individually each day, till we enter into that Seventh Day Sabbath, through the process.

For the most part the Church is still between the 4th and 5th day of Gen.1, which is Governed by Law and Religion.

Just my thoughts
Blessings

I thought that fitting with the meaning and words of 2112. I post them here for any of you nostalgic types to remind you of their relevance to where we are today. Methinks these were prophets in their day. If you have the cd pop it in, have a listen and follow the words. This to me is the experience many of us weary travelers have had in our desire to share the wonderful instrument we have found which produces beauty and joy.

"2112"

'I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon. City and sky become one, merging
into a single plane, a vast sea of unbroken grey. The Twin Moons, just two pale orbs as
they trace their way across the steely sky. I used to think I had a pretty good life here,
just plugging into my machine for the day, then watching Templevision or reading a Temple
Paper in the evening.

'My friend Jon always said it was nicer here than under the atmospheric domes of the Outer
Planets. We have had peace since 2062, when the surviving planets were banded together under
the Red Star of the Solar Federation. The less fortunate gave us a few new moons.
I believed what I was told. I thought it was a good life, I thought I was happy. Then I found
something that changed it all...'

[I. Overture]

And the meek shall inherit the earth...

[II. Temples of Syrinx]

...'The massive grey walls of the Temples rise from the heart of every Federation city. I
have always been awed by them, to think that every single facet of every life is regulated
and directed from within! Our books, our music, our work and play are all looked after by
the benevolent wisdom of the priests...'

We've taken care of everything
The words you read, the songs you sing
The pictures that give pleasure to your eyes
It's one for all and all for one
We work together, common sons
Never need to wonder how or why

We are the Priests of the Temples of Syrinx
Our great computers fill the hallowed halls
We are the Priests, of the Temples of Syrinx
All the gifts of life are held within our walls

Look around at this world we've made
Equality our stock in trade
Come and join the Brotherhood of Man
Oh, what a nice, contented world
Let the banners be unfurled
Hold the Red Star proudly high in hand

We are the Priests of the Temples of Syrinx
Our great computers fill the hallowed halls
We are the Priests, of the Temples of Syrinx
All the gifts of life are held within our walls

[III. Discovery]

'...Behind my beloved waterfall, in the little room that was hidden beneath the cave, I
found it. I brushed away the dust of the years, and picked it up, holding it reverently in
my hands. I had no idea what it might be, but it was beautiful...'

'...I learned to lay my fingers across the wires, and to turn the keys to make them sound
differently. As I struck the wires with my other hand, I produced my first harmonious sounds
and soon my own music! How different it could be from the music of the Temples! I can't wait
to tell the priests about it!...'

What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

See how it sings like a sad heart
And joyously screams out its pain
Sounds that build high like a mountain
Or notes that fall gently like rain

I can't wait to share this new wonder
The people will all see its light
Let them all make their own music
The Priests praise my name on this night

[IV. Presentation]

'...In the sudden silence as I finished playing, I looked up to a circle of grim,
expressionless faces. Father Brown rose to his feet, and his somnolent voice echoed
throughout the silent Temple Hall...'

'...Instead of the grateful joy that I expected, they were words of quiet rejection!
Instead of praise, sullen dismissal. I watched in shock and horror as Father Brown ground
my precious instrument to splinters beneath his feet...'

I know it's most unusual
To come before you so
But I've found an ancient miracle
I thought that you should know
Listen to my music
And hear what it can do
There's something here as strong as life
I know that it will reach you

Yes, we know, it's nothing new
It's just a waste of time
We have no need for ancient ways
The world is doing fine
Another toy that helped destroy
The elder race of man
Forget about your silly whim
It doesn't fit the plan

I can't believe you're saying
These things just can't be true
Our world could use this beauty
Just think what we might do
Listen to my music
And hear what it can do
There's something here as strong as life
I know that it will reach you

Don't annoy us further!
We have our work to do
Just think about the average
What use have they for you?
Another toy that helped destroy
The elder race of man
Forget about your silly whim
It doesn't fit the Plan!

[V. Oracle: The Dream]

'...I guess it was a dream, but even now it all seems so vivid to me. Clearly yet I see
the beckoning hand of the oracle as he stood at the summit of the staircase...'

'...I see still the incredible beauty of the sculptured cities and the pure spirit of man
revealed in the lives and works of this world. I was overwhelmed by both wonder and
understanding as I saw a completely different way to life, a way that had been crushed
by the Federation long ago. I saw now how meaningless life had become with the loss of
all these things...'

I wandered home through the silent streets
And fell into a fitful sleep
Escape to realms beyond the night
Dream can't you show me the light?

I stand atop a spiral stair
An oracle confronts me there
He leads me on light years away
Through astral nights, galactic days
I see the works of gifted hands
That grace this strange and wondrous land
I see the hand of man arise
With hungry mind and open eyes

They left the planet long ago
The elder race still learn and grow
Their power grows with purpose strong
To claim the home where they belong
Home to tear the Temples down...
Home to change!

[VI. Soliloquy]

'...I have not left this cave for days now, it has become my last refuge in my total
despair. I have only the music of the waterfall to comfort me now. I can no longer live
under the control of the Federation, but there is no other place to go. My last hope is
that with my death I may pass into the world of my dream, and know peace at last.'

The sleep is still in my eyes
The dream is still in my head
I heave a sigh and sadly smile
And lie a while in bed
I wish that it might come to pass
Not fade like all my dreams...

Just think of what my life might be
In a world like I have seen!
I don't think I can carry on
Carry on this cold and empty life

My spirits are low in the depths of despair
My lifeblood...
...Spills over...

[VII. The Grand Finale]

Attention all Planets of the Solar Federation
We have assumed control
We have assumed control
We have assumed control

2 Re: Throw Back to the 70's on Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:24 pm

A.R.T.I.C

Admin
I was a Big Rush fan back in the day.

I can't say I understand all their lyrics, there still way out there, but, I did find this very interesting.

The Temple of Syrinx:

A primitive wind instrument consisting of several parallel pipes bound together

Wind - Spirit - The ONE Voice Crying in the Wilderness.

And as far as your experience with the Frig, I don't think that's strange at all. You wouldn't believe what He used to draw me out of Darkness.

And I hear messages in songs all the time, so that's nothing new. I am a 70's girl, love the music out of that era, still do. Shoooo don't tell anyone but Aerosmith is still one of the all time Greats IMO.

And movies, well, if you've ever seen the Cell, or The Others, you know what I'm talking about. Unbelievable!!

Blessings

The Gates of Hell Shall Not Prevail...Because The Love of God...Will....Never....Fail!
http://aplace2rest.forumotion.com

3 Re: Throw Back to the 70's on Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:29 pm

kpaulus

Wow, I didn't know that song had such a story! I use to have that album myself but I was more into liking the music than wanting to know the words...unlike today, that's the first thing I want to know no when I hear a song. What is the message?
Thank you for sharing Kevin. You are such a blessing. We miss you and look forward to getting together again:)
Karen

4 Re: Throw Back to the 70's on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:58 pm

cross-eyed

Well . . .if you ask me . . .I think you're ALL going to hell!!

Bunch of heavy metal hippies is what you all are!

I'm a few years later . . .mid to late 70's . . .soft rock . . .loved Leo S . . uh oh . .don't know how to spell his name . . .I'll go with Leo Sayer.

When I need you . . . .I just close my eyes and I'm with you . . .

Starting to tear up just thinking about it.

5 Re: Throw Back to the 70's on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:17 pm

A.R.T.I.C

Admin
cross-eyed wrote:Well . . .if you ask me . . .I think you're ALL going to hell!!

Bunch of heavy metal hippies is what you all are!

I'm a few years later . . .mid to late 70's . . .soft rock . . .loved Leo S . . uh oh . .don't know how to spell his name . . .I'll go with Leo Sayer.

When I need you . . . .I just close my eyes and I'm with you . . .

Starting to tear up just thinking about it.

Oh, yeah, and Firefall, Ambrosia, Great groups.

What did ya'll do today, take some funny pills or something? I wake up from my nap, and see where Todd was talking about Jesus reading the NKJ bible, and now this, I'm still reeling from laughing. You guys are the best.

The Gates of Hell Shall Not Prevail...Because The Love of God...Will....Never....Fail!
http://aplace2rest.forumotion.com

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum