APlace2Rest

You are not connected. Please login or register

Love and Truth

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Love and Truth on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:20 pm

I have long taken Philippians 4:8 to be defining Truth through a unique construct of grammar. Truth is being defined by its attributes:

Phi 4:8-9. Meditate on These Things
8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. 9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.
Phi 4:8-9
8 Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious-- the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. 9 Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies.

Even Paul softens up this hard line:
Phi 1:18-21
18 So how am I to respond? I've decided that I really don't care about their motives, whether mixed, bad, or indifferent. Every time one of them opens his mouth, Christ is proclaimed, so I just cheer them on!
And I'm going to keep that celebration going 19 because I know how it's going to turn out. Through your faithful prayers and the generous response of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, everything he wants to do in and through me will be done. 20 I can hardly wait to continue on my course. I don't expect to be embarrassed in the least. On the contrary, everything happening to me in this jail only serves to make Christ more accurately known, regardless of whether I live or die. They didn't shut me up; they gave me a pulpit! 21 Alive, I'm Christ's messenger; dead, I'm his bounty. Life versus even more life! I can't lose.

The thought came today wondering if this same grammatical construct works to define Love the same way in Galatians.
Gal 5:22-23
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 meekness, self- control; against such there is no law.
Gal 5:22-23
22 But what happens when we live God's way? He brings gifts into our lives, much the same way that fruit appears in an orchard-- things like affection for others, exuberance about life, serenity. We develop a willingness to stick with things, a sense of compassion in the heart, and a conviction that a basic holiness permeates things and people. We find ourselves involved in loyal commitments, 23 not needing to force our way in life, able to marshal and direct our energies wisely.Legalism is helpless in bringing this about; it only gets in the way.

I believe it does! So now we have two concise Spirit-breathed definitions for two of the main attributes of God:
Love: joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, meekness, self- control.
True: noble, just, pure, lovely, of good report, virtuous and praiseworthy.

2 Re: Love and Truth on Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:39 pm

A.R.T.I.C

Admin
Yes Amen David,

It's "WHO" He is. God "is" Love.

Someone once told me, There are many things that are true, but that does not mean they are "Truth".

I love what you've found and brought out.
Truth is unshakable, unmovable, does not change, but always the same. What a Solid Rock!! in this ever changing world, where nothing stays the same.

I was just talking to someone yesterday about misplaced faith.
And I believe that this is the crux of the matter, because we don't have understanding of The "Who" He "is", but rely on what He can do for us. Our faith should be based on "knowing Him".

In other words, and I've been just as guilty of this too. Is trying to walk in faith that is placed in what He can change for me, or do for me, Not in The Person of Who He is. I believe that is mainly why we get ourselves into situations sometimes, that causes us to wonder where I've gone wrong, or how have I missed Him.

Notice in this scripture it says we must believe that He "IS" and not what He can do. Big difference.

Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

His Attributes, is The "Who" of God.
Joh 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. It all comes down to Relationship.

Blessings

The Gates of Hell Shall Not Prevail...Because The Love of God...Will....Never....Fail!
http://aplace2rest.forumotion.com

3 Love and Truth on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:30 pm

Hibbs

We know John 3:16 and that His love was demonstrated by giving (sowing) His life
for others. I was reminded of the observation that Paul had in 2 Cor 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Love and truth are words that speak of ethereal things that are difficult to define...they are unseen things. So too is the work of a seed in the ground that is invisible. Jesus sowed His life into us and asked us to sow our life back to bring forth the harvest that love and truth intended from the beginning.

4 Re: Love and Truth on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:59 pm

You know, sometimes it is the most basic of the basic that I need reminded of.

5 Re: Love and Truth on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:15 am

A dear Brother has suggested that some good old-fashioned blamelessness might be in order.

6 Re: Love and Truth on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:54 am

A.R.T.I.C

Admin
DavidHarreld wrote:A dear Brother has suggested that some good old-fashioned blamelessness might be in order.

What do you mean David, are you talking about blaming yourself?
Or others blaming you?

Blessings

The Gates of Hell Shall Not Prevail...Because The Love of God...Will....Never....Fail!

7 Re: Love and Truth on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:08 am

It was in the context of spiritual warfare. A better case might be made in the heavenlies if I was assured of standing blamelessly.

8 Re: Love and Truth on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:22 am

A.R.T.I.C

Admin
Col 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
Col 2:15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Let these words Assure you David, He did it all, all that is left for you to do is Believe that He did.

9 Re: Love and Truth on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:54 am

This is it exactly.

10 Re: Love and Truth on Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:52 pm

J.U.G.G.H.E.A.D.

Admin
DavidHarreld wrote:It was in the context of spiritual warfare. A better case might be made in the heavenlies if I was assured of standing blamelessly.

Are we not to stop feeding the swine (guilt) and go to the Father, knowing that He will RUN to you?

Compassion wells up in me for your struggle and I pray that your struggle ends soon.

Rick

Wisdom is not measured by time, it is measured by understanding

11 Re: Love and Truth on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:01 pm

jugghead wrote:
Are we not to stop feeding the swine (guilt) and go to the Father, knowing that He will RUN to you?

Compassion wells up in me for your struggle and I pray that your struggle ends soon.

Those prayers are coveted!

I wonder if I need to be going down this road but trust the Lord will have His good fruit of it.

To me, scripture is a mirror we can view ourselves in.  I like the honing its glass gets when we remove any imperfections we might find.  I mean really, what if we were holding to another standard for Love, such as "chastisement," that God reserved for Himself only because in our immature state we couldn't execute it properly in agape?  The logic in the Greek might provide a second witness to the Love that the Spirit is already releasing in us.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum